Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do early snows predict?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The past few days have seen a switch to winter on Colorado's mountains, with several inches of snow. Local experts have been called to give their predictions for the winter.

Here's an interesting quote from Rick Bly of Breckenridge ski resort [quoted by Summit Daily News ]who has been measuring precipitation for the past 27 years:

" "A comment I heard was, 'Oh, boy, we're going to have a wonderful, terrific, splendid winter,'" Bly said. "That's a nice attitude, but in 1961, we got 53 inches of snow in September. Did that portend anything? It took us until January to get another 52 inches and in that same time period we should have gotten 70 inches of snow. It's not a predictor. It doesn't mean much."

I suspect he's right. A couple of years ago the Scottish mountains had an extraordinary October snowstorm that covered whole ski areas, but it vanished and wasn't restored for the whole winter.

Some people think early snow actually signals bad luck, but I suspect that Bly is right - it means nothing at all. Mind you, there are those people who study plant and animal behaviour for winter predictions. Does nature really tell fortunes?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't believe a very early snowfall means anything at all. However, I suppose a good snowfall at the normal start of the season provides a solid base for the rest of the winter.

I have noticed a very good crop of apples and berries on the farm this year. The older generation will tell you this is the sign of a harsh winter to come. However we did have a very good spell of weather here in May when the apple trees were blossoming. Could it just be that conditions were very good at the time of pollination and nothing to do with the forthcoming winter?????? Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It kinda makes sense that somewhere there is an indication of how the winter is likely to go. For instance - I have to go to New Zealand in February so it is likely to be a top snow year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It could mean avalanches and bare terrain, if later snow can't adhere to this stuff falling now.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith wrote:

Some people think early snow actually signals bad luck

In Scotland at least, if there are early snowfalls then it is often onto ground which hasn't had a chance to get really cold. So the snow acts like a sort of blanket. That can mean that the ground never really gets chance to cool down and freeze up and so the snow melts from above and below.

Of course snow that appears early then disappears again quickly won't make much difference. But early snows can potentially cause problems throughout the season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy