Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas-Fee

Poster: A snowHead
Hey folks
Heading to Saas-fee next week for a week's sliding. Conditions appear to be pretty good from what I can gather - anyone been in the area recently? Also, we're driving from Geneva - any tips on the drive?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brightside haven't been, but we are thinking about going, too, from 4-11th april. I would really appreciate your feedback when you get back. Suppose you've seen the Saas fee website but just in case not, it's at www.saas-fee.ch. Have a great time. I'm jealous cos I've got another week of work to go yet....booo Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brightside, See this previous thread.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brightside. Well I'm here in Saas Fee right now. And as usual any weather forecast you have seen is wrong. Today was meant to be "Light snow". Cobblers! It has snowed steadily all day. At least 20cm, probably more. So this afternoon when we went back to do a run again our tracks from the previous run had been covered over and the piste looked virgin. We were skiing in knee deep powder all afternoon.
And lots of runs were empty. Obviously most people here only Sunny Day Skiers. It looks like the wonderful weather that the MSBers had in Wengen has moved over here. It was trully wonderful day.
If you give weather forecasts any credibility, the snow is meant to continue and the temperatures remain low. You are in for wonderful conditions.

As for the drive. In the past I have driven along the valley floor as far as Sion. The road is very good and should give you no trouble. The road up to Saas Fee is a different matter. I took the bus up on Friday. They are doing a lot of work to upgrade and repair the road. There are 2 sections of single file only controlled by traffic lights. The bus took 75 minutes to get up from Brig. You will be coming up from Visp. Take it easy, be patient, and expect it to take you at least an hour.

Saas Fee is a wonderful place.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brightside, the drive to Saas-Fee should be no problem. Out of the airport follow signs for Lausanne and subsequently for Simplon. The motorway ends at Sierre and the road on to Visp is not so good. From Visp it is up the mountain to Saas-Fee where you have to leave the car somewhere in the bowels of the multi-storey car-park. It is about 235 km and usually takes about 2hr 45 or so. Your hire car should have winter tyres and I have found them to provide remarkable grip.

Have a great time.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi All

i've been lurking around this forum for quite some time now (it really is a great place to spend some time if you're into ski-ing) and was getting worried as there seemed to be no Saas Fee threads. We are heading out there on 1st April. glad to see that the conditions should be great. Does anybody have any info on ski schools there as i would like to book a couple of private lessons while I'm there.
Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LoopyLou, welcome to snowheads Very Happy . Can't advise you about ski schools - but I thing Saas Fee is a great place - hope you have a wonderful time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Brightside, we are off to Saas Fee next w/e - can/t wait Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You've made my day Jonpim!! Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Great info guys - thanks for the road tips. Our flight doesn't get into Geneva until about 7pm so we may be in for a tricky drive at the mountain side of the journey in the dark - yikes!

However, it sounds like we're going to have super snow conditions! Getting very excited now - even though I got away for a cheeky w/e to Chamonix a couple of weeks ago, I'm going with my wife this time & can hardly wait Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Robertsnerys, we are heading out on the 2nd April so limited time to give you feedback!

Nice video Alastair Pink! Got me right in the mood.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
LoopyLou, there are two ski schools - the Swiss and Eskimos. They have offices close together around the area of the village square. The Swiss school is of course much larger than Eskimos. I've not had lessons with either so can't make a recommendation. Let us know what you do and how you get on.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LoopyLou, I've used the Swiss Ski School in Saas Fee many times and they've been good. Have a great time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well another fantastic day. It was snowing again as we set out this morning with snow lying down to resort level.
(Another total failure for weather forecasts as the Saas Fee Site, Metcheck and Snow-forecast all said it would be sunny in the morning)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 26-03-07 18:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Because of the quantity of snow that had fallen, only the lower lifts were open.

The weather may have looked reasonably friendly down in the resort, but at the top of Plattjen it was verging on blizzard. This didn't cause any distress, as just a little way down the run the wind had disappeared. The National was virtually "virgin" and a dream to ski.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 26-03-07 22:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Those weather forecast predicted just 5cm snow. It actually snowed almost all day. All pistes we tried were magic, and not being able to go above Felskinn did not seem to matter. And then as the afternoon progressed the sun eventually won the battle with the clouds and managed to break through. We skied down the Weisse Perle (see picture) with patches of blue sky above and lovely powder under our skis.

I am now looking out on a cloudless blue sky. Tomorrow could be heaven.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here's wishing you a Bluebird day Jonpim.
latest report
Thanks everyone I'll probably give the Swiss Ski School a go.

Seeing all these great photos is really making ma quite excited about going now. Keep them coming!! Very Happy
ski holidays
LoopyLou, a whole group of us have taken over the Hotel Elite for the week. (A great hotel)
We are all ages and abilities. Quite a few of us (but not me) are taking lessons with the Swiss ski school. All seem satisfied.
Some of the instructors at least have a wicked sense of humour.
My mate Keith had a lesson this morning. It had been snowing all morning. Keith commented that it would be nice if the sun came out tomorrow.
The instructor responded with "You are here to turn, not to tan!"
snow conditions
Hope I manage a good mixture of turning & tanning next week!

Jonpin, we'll be arriving pretty late at night - do you reckon there will be any problem getting ski hire & lessons sorted out for 4 people in the morning or do you reckon we would be best to pre-book?
snow conditions
Well, we had our heavenly day.
The day dawned cloudless. And come 7am, eight of us were munching breakfast in eager anticipation of an off-piste day with guides Gabriel and Marc
We lined up at the bottom of the piste to get kitted out with bleepers and harness – the glaciers round here make crevasses a constant danger
snow report
Then off we went up the lifts.
All standard stuff until we got to the Metro Alpin (funicular).
This run of the lift was reserved just for us. It stopped half way up at the point where the two trains cross.
We got out and found ourselves in this short tunnel with snow at the far end, and a small opening near its roof where sunlight poured in.
ski holidays
One by one we eased ourselves out, to find we were near the top of the mountain on a small ledge with virgin powder all around.
No warm up, we just had to plunge down and hope. I could have done with more hope.
I seemed to spend more of the day struggling to get up than skiing. I discovered I could cope reasonably well with snow up to my knees, but when it came to snow up to goolies, I lost my bottle and kept falling.
Even so it was a wonderful day. Gabriel said you only get days like these 3 or 4 times in a season.
Come the end of the day we were all exhausted but euphoric.
snow conditions
Brightside, you are coming out in the week leading up to Easter - one of the busiest weeks of the season. I would pre-book.
ski holidays
Jonpim, Sounds wonderful!
snow report
Top pics Jonpim good report, amazing conditions Very Happy
latest report
Brightside, I have managed to get private lessons booked with the Swiss ski School for the Monday afternoon, they didn't offer any morning slots. I would definitely try to pre-book everything.
snow report
Thanks guys, I'll get on the case tonight & try to get things booked up.

Jonpim, that looks amazing. Great pics.
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
LoopyLou, a whole group of us have taken over the Hotel Elite for the week. (A great hotel)

Jonpim, I stayed at the Hotel Elite at Christmas. Very friendly staff, and the food is excellent isn't it? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Jonpim, the conditions look awesome!! Don't think I'd be brave enough though! Thanks for sharing the photos.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was a leisurely day yesterday. The sun stayed out, but most of the easy access (just off-piste) powder had been mostly skied out. Going through that chopped up stuff I found even trickier that tackling it virgin the day before
And note the crevasses in the distance – those edge of skiing area markers are not just there for show in Saas Fee as a lot of the runs are either side of a serious glacier.
ski holidays
Even with this glorious weather and wonderful snow conditions, the pistes are strangely empty. There are no lift queues anywhere. And Saas Fee seems from my experience devoid of out-of-control bombing idiots so common in French resorts I visit (La Plagne and Val Thorens).
snow report
Of course Saas Fee is a particularly smart resort, and so it is vitally important you have all the right (and latest) kit, and you dress correctly. For anyone coming out for Easter here is the latest look for the Alps in Switzerland.
snow report
OMG, Ossie Osbourne and his mate try skiing Shocked Laughing
latest report
Jonpim, I've seen that run on the piste map. How do you arrange to get to it and what is it like when you get there?
snow conditions
Derek Jackson: Everything was organised by Mountain Life.
There were 8 in our group, and with two guides we felt much more secure with one leader and one sweeper. The guides were patient and friendly, and even thanked us at the end of the day for the fun time they had had – cowdoo maybe, but it added to an all round great experience.
The actual run is awesome. None of my pics really do it justice. This one is the best I could find.

We ended up at Saas Almagell, and taken back up to Saas Fee by minibus. Then we went straight up to the top – to Allallin without so much as a coffee break – and skied down beside the glacier in some of he deepest snow I have ever tried: get your technique wrong and you slowly sink further and further down. Digging yourself out when the snow is above your waist is utterly exhausting. A harsh lesson. You get your technique right blooming quick I was so knackered and full of snow I didn’t manage any pics.
ski holidays
Jonpim, Looks like you are all having an absolute blast and thanks for the fantastic photographs.
latest report
One treck everyone should do at Saas Fee is the walk out to the Britannia Hut.
You start from the top of the Egginerjoch T-bar (known by all here as the Jock-strap)
It takes about 10 – 15 minutes along an up and down road.
There are significant sections of walking up the hill that are best managed with your skis off (though one of our party - a stubborn guy – did manage it all with his skis on. He came in last and exhausted).

And you have to back on the same path.
snow report
But the sense of achievement of is exhilarating.
And then is it well worth going on up the hill beyond.
The views from the top are magnificent.
We always make the mistake of eating lunch at the hut before making the climb.

Of course it is only worth doing this in good weather.
Since the heavy snow on Sunday and Monday we have had wonderful weather every day.

And I’m looking out on a blue sky again this morning. snowHead
snow conditions
Jonpim, great reports. You've helped remind me why I like Saas Fee so much - a resort under-rated by many, IMO. Glad you've been enjoying yourself.
snow conditions
Jonpim, thanks for the information. I think I need an intro to off-piste before I try that particular run.
snow report
Another wonderful day in Saas Fee. Started with blue sky and only a few clouds, but anyone who left their goggles behind and failed to wrap up well had a rough morning: the clouds moved in, the temperature fell suddenly, and snow began to fall.

It was never bad enough to make skiing unpleasant: visibility was always adequate and there was very little wind. The pistes were also almost empty.

Saas Fee skiers are definitely fair weather people.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy