Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Report: Kaprun and accidental new ski purchase!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This should probably read "The Volkl Owners Club Ski Kaprun/Zell/Saalbach/Hinterglemm".

This was a last minute booking made on the basis of snow/weather forecasts, and a much needed break after Mum passed away in February. Neither of us had been to Kaprun before, and I'd not been skiing anywhere except France and the Snowdome.

The first thing that struck us is how friendly everybody is in Austria - maybe it's just the contrast with France, but they were really friendly and helpful throughout the trip. The Hotel (Orgler) was fantastic, and we had a suite of rooms, not just one room, with plenty of space to spread out our ski stuff.

We were worried when we saw green fields all around, but we needn't have been. The snow on the Kitzdeinhorn glacier was fantastic, even on the first day. The pistes are not difficult, but the view is sensational from the glacier. On Monday there was a huge dump of snow and we ended up skiing in deep powder - waist deep at time, and this was on the piste itself - the bashers were working flat out but there was no way they could keep up with the white stuff coming from the sky. This was my first experience of deep powder and it was good, although hard work. At least I didn't fall over, although I had to use my hands to dig myself out when I got stuck thigh deep in a deep wadge of snow!

We took the opportunity to ski over in Zell am Zee on the Tuesday and Wednesday, as there was a bit more snow on the Tuesday, and consequently enough to ski the blacks 13 and 14 down into the village - even after all this snow the bottom of both runs was pretty muddy. The best and least populated runs were over in Sonnenalm.

On Thursday we took a coach trip to Saalbach/Hinterglemm and did "the circuit" of the valley. The weather was pretty good, and we decided to split with the group and do the circuit the other way round, meaning we had to ski black 14 above Hinterglemm (they were doing the easy route). Up till then all the Austrian blacks didn't really seem to qualify as blacks - they would have been reds in France. But this was a black run with knobs on. It had everything - rocks, ice, huge plumpfs of slushy snow, narrow bits, steep bits! It was by far the hardest run I'd ever done (I've now done 9 weeks skiing, but only been skiing since 2005). Still, I got down (with a bit of sideslipping where required), and most of the time it was reasonably fluent. (I suspect somebody is now going to tell me it is an "easy" black, but it wasn't to me!) It was a good day and a nice resort but the links across from one side of the valley to the other are not good and involve a lot of poling/skis off and walking.

On Friday, Mr Docsquid finally persuaded me to try out some other skis. I'd not wanted to before then because of the conditions which weren't ideal for trying out new equipment, but this was a sunny day with perfect weather on the glacier. So, I decided to try some Volkl Racetiger Slalom (race) skis. WOW!!!! They were FANTASTIC. I went for a slightly longer ski to get stability at speed (155 instead of 150), and they were awesome. I was carving double tramlines on slopes that I'd never have tried that on before, and Mr Docsquid, with 30 years ski experience, had to actually try to keep up for once, even on GS race skis! They were so stable at speed that I was less worried about little bumps in the terrain, and deliberately headed for some moguls to check that they could cope with them - and of course they were brilliant. Mr Docsquid was impressed I could manage the race skis - they are more of a handful and you do have to concentrate or you get warned pretty quickly that you need to ski them, or they will ski you instead. I only had one high speed wipeout at the bottom of a red run - flat light meant I thought a small pit in the piste was in fact a bump and consequently me and my equipment ended up scattered all over the place. I landed on my face with snow in my goggles, and a lot of people laughing at me as it was right under the lift!

We also had the bonus of a late flight on Saturday (yesterday), so we decided to ski on the local Maiskogel run into Kaprun for the morning (we could easily walk to the lift). That was brilliant too, and the snow was surprisingly good considering the top is only 1900m and the bottom only 800m - the bottom run from 1100 down to 800 was a bit slushy in places, but still skiable, although we stayed at the top all morning until it was time to come down. We were also given ski passes by a couple who decided not to ski even though they'd bought 7 day passes, so we ski'd for free AND got 6 euros back for the lift passes at the end of the day!

One major difficulty I've had is getting performance skis in this country for a decent price and in shorter lengths. So, when Intersport Kaprun had a sale, well, I just had to go for it. So I bought the Racetigers for only 399 Euros - an astounding price, making them a real bargain. They were cheaper than my Volkl Attiva 4* skis had been, and I got them in a sale too! Mr Docsquid bought the GS Racetigers as well, and we then faced the problem of getting four pairs of skis home! Intersport provided us with some plastic ski bags, and we bought some towels in a discount store and wrapped them up with packing tape. We expected a charge at the airport for additional skis, but they didn't charge us anything (Thomson Fly). Astoundingly all went smoothly and four pairs of intact skis were waiting for us when we got through passport control at Birmingham Airport.

So, I'm back home with a pair of lovely Racetiger slalom race skis, feeling very happy indeed. Mr Docsquid is raring to go on his GS Racetiger skis. Just looking up summer skiing courses now! Shame we can't fit in another week this season (aerobics instructor training is looming, as well as other things, meaning the season is now over for us).

So, a good holiday, a fantastic bargain on the skis, no additional ski carriage and the bonus of Saturday morning skiing. What more can you ask?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've bought skis but it never occurred to me to claim that it was by accident. I wonder if this would work for other things. Things like faster wheels for my time trial bike. Might make the summer go by faster. I could even book more skiing holidays by accident.

Thanks, Docsquid, this could change my life!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ull, it's a well known technique used by Mr Docsquid to explain why he is unloading yet another new tool or piece of welding equipment out of his car! I tend to buy new shoes by accident too. Seems to be quite a popular technique among cyclists, at least on the cycling forum that I frequent. One cyclist I knew kept his Condor Pista fixed a secret for months, only to have his 11 year old blurt out the fact of its existence. He had to claim he had bought it by accident wink

You should try it out - it might work.

PS what TT bike have you got and what wheels are you looking to buy? I don't yet have a TT bike, but might built up my Giant TCR carbon frame into a TT bike if my shoulder ever recovers sufficiently for me to do triathlons (can't swim at present).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Docsquid, I have been riding a TT bike cobbled up from old bits and pieces. A Reynolds 531C steel frame, old Campagnolo Vento deep rim front wheel (24spoke), old Ultegra chainset, Campagnolo 8 speed rear mech, 32 spoke rear wheel with imitation disc covers, Cinelli cowhorn bars and chopped about tri bars with bar end shifters. All very heavy and not very aero. In an end of season sale last year, I bought a Quintana Roo Seduza. All shaped carbon. It didn't come with wheels to match, though, so a pair of HED Jet 60s are on order. It's not been used in anger yet but soon will be. I've got the front end lower than the old bike and there are still 2cm of spacers to go if need be.

I just do TTs not triathlon. I'm not a natural runner, my feet seem to bang down rather than float over the ground and I don't fancy swimming in cold dirty water!

I envy you the Race Tigers. I've got Atomic SX7s. A bit wimpy but at 60 kilos, I don't think I'd bend anything racier! They carve quite nicely, will turn tightly and are still stable in a straight line.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do insurance companies cover this "accidental purchase" thing. Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ull wrote:

I envy you the Race Tigers. I've got Atomic SX7s. A bit wimpy but at 60 kilos, I don't think I'd bend anything racier! They carve quite nicely, will turn tightly and are still stable in a straight line.

Yes, well I'm only 50kg, but they are short Racetigers and seem to bend quite willingly. We were so lucky to get them at that price.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
Do insurance companies cover this "accidental purchase" thing. Wink

It depends if you get injured (or die) handing over the dosh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Both and wife and I saw fit to accidentally purchase a new set of boots and skis when we stayed in Mercure hotel of Briancon (Serre Chevalier).

The shopping centre was next door and every skiing equipment in the sport shop was "accidentally" 30% off.

She was using 160cm and I had 180cm skis. The new 140cm for her and 160cm for me seem to be unbeliveably easy to turn. We "suddenly" can do parallel runs!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 5-04-07 11:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ull, you also need Mrs Hoppo's patented "saving money" technique - achieved by buying a new Yamaha Thundercat when Yamaha equalised prices in Japan and Europe - she saved ~£1500!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee, a series of very happy "accidents" - excellent Very Happy

why didn't you inherit Mrs saikee's 160s, which woudl have allowed her to accidentally spend even more?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx,

(1) Her 160cm skis are Solomon Scream 8 which is a well know female freeride skis.

(2) There is a possibility that she might want to go back to her old skis which are more stable and cut into the snow better. She now like the fluidity of the smaller skis.

(3) Met other skiers on cars and saw them carrying more than one set of skis each.

The two sets of boots and skis came to 980 Euro but the two outgoing Solomon Freeride skis alone cost us about 1500 Euro when we got them at 25% discount in Chamonix about 4 years ago. The wife has since refused to go off-piste and the Free riders Soloman became "accidentally" longer than we need. Her normal skis was 150cm and I was on 170cm. The guy at the shops sold us the idea that the fatter freeriders need to be taller too. We decided to change back after "accidentally" seeing most skiers nowadays seem to go for shorter skis. When we started skiing the standard of the skis was at the eye level but nowadays it is more often at the nose level.

The wife only carries the poles. I now "accidentally" find significantly lighter skis to carry around. I paid over the odd for the two free riders Solomon because of their bindings were made of titanium parts which are supposingly lighter than others.

The new skis need small change to the technique. Instead of carving the snow for a stop (as it seems easier with a long skis) we now slide on the snow but turn uphill direction to kill off the momentum. Everything seems to happen "accidentally".
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee, Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saikee, I know what you mean about different length skis. Mr DS has been trying to get me to try out longer skis for ages. I tried out both 150cm (actually measure 147, same as my old skis) and 155 (actually measure 153) Racetigers. The shorter ones were very lively, but felt too much like my existing skis, and although they turned (rotated) really easily, were only a little bit more stable when going fast on the edge, which is what I was looking for. The 155's were not so easy to rotate, although still quite good on bumps and for general skiing, but really came into their own when you were in the mood, and using the edge to crank it over, carve turns and go fast, as the extra stability was really noticeable, even with only 6 extra cm.

I opted for the longer ones because of this - after all, I still have the Attiva 4* when I want a shorter ski, or when the conditions aren't right for faster skiing.

I am only 7 1/2 stone and just under 5 ft 3, but am happy with the 153 Racetigers, which come up to the bridge of my nose when wearing ski boots.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I 'accidentally' added to my ski quiver with a pair of 154cm MissDemeanors at an unbelievable price of 329 euros inc binding. I can't however see myself reverting to the Saphirs though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy