Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz new year 07/08 - good idea or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to book for new year. have been to chamonix and tignes at this time in the past. What do people thing of Avoriaz for new year - probability of snow - what are the queues like etc.

We are stuck with this period next year for our family skiing holiday - we have to travel from Ireland so need to book early as flights here get booked up quickly.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmm well Avoriaz itself should be 80% snow-sure in January, but the problem with it is that if you're intermediate or better you will need to have access to some of the surrounding Portes Du Soleil resorts to make it a good holiday. The other PdS resorts are not snow-sure early in the season and, if this year was anything to go by, you may find they are closed. When the other PdS resorts are closed the queues in Avoriaz are absolutely horrendous. If they're open, Avoriaz is fine.

I would say that if you were booking for mid-late Feb or early March then, yes, go for it. For January I'd recommend finding a higher linked resort to such as the Escape Killy or Paradiski.

But ultimately it's all a gamble if you're booking this early.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great topic, i was just looking into heading to Avoriaz for a family Christmas holiday, may have to broaden my search now.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
philgeorge999, thanks for info. We are not advanced skiers never did Vallee Blanche (yet)! You confirmed my suspicion that at times of lack of snow everyone from morzine etc will be queuing up in Avoriaz. This is my main worry. Perhaps its back to Tignes or maybe try La Plagne. Never been to Paradiski area. After Chamonix I was looking for ski in -ski out is possible cos those buses cracked me up.

thedavman, If you find anywhere let me know!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ruthie, Don't worry, Avoriaz has great snow at that time of year. This year it was poor, but in fairness it was everywhere. Have been xmas week on numerous occasions and always had good conditions. I was in Norway this year for xmas and they had as much snow as we did in Kerry!!!!

A friend was there this year at that time and he stayed in Morzine. The queues were bad but it was fine for the crowd that stayed in Avoriaz, they were away from the throng before those in Morzine had put on their skis. We purchased in Avoriaz many moons ago for this reason. I would not worry about conditions in Avoriaz at that time of year, if there isn't snow in most parts of the alps there will be up at Avoriaz.

Enjoy your holiday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ruthie, Avoriaz has an excellent record for Christmas and New Year - it opened this year on 16th December earlier then some other higher resorts. As does much of the Portes du Soleil - if we haven't got it here up north in the Alps then you are unlikely to find much more else where! We never have to queue for more than a few minutes as there are so many access points. This New Year as many other resorts had a lack of snow Avoriaz restricted lift tickets so that the slopes and lifts were not overcrowded.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with snowandtrek and Roy Hockley. Frankly, it's as good a bet as anywhere for New Year, excepting perhaps Tignes or Val Thorens - that's why I've got an apartment in the area.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep, I too would say go for it. We skied all Christmas and New Year (and the rest of the season) in spite of it being one of the worst seasons ever and there was more than enough snow to keep us busy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy