Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Older or More Nervous Skiers' thread

Poster: A snowHead
How did the Easiski over 50s week go? I hope it was a great success - Next year I'd qualify for this, & a week where I wasn't trying to keep up with 20 somethings would be good - so I hope there might be something like it that might tempt me - maybe a "moving on" week for recent starters? Thing is I'd probably have nobody to go with, so something that offered no single supplement would be handy!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 25-03-07 17:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NewSkier, I posted Easyski this very question. Didnt think of a "moving on " Week, what a good idea, wonder if E.S would think of running one??
I would be interested. Im meeting Charlotte at the EOSB at the end of April, are U going?? Im female , same age and looks like im a similar ski level too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi moon, I did a search but didn't find your question! Did Charlotte reply? No I am not able to go to the EoSB but it is good to know you are and will be meeting her there. I am off to Tignes for a very late 3 day trip with a couple of female friends who are good skiers on 23rd April. My husband is supportive of me learning and going away without him, but due to his bad back will not entertain the idea of even trying himself. I am hoping we might take a week away somewhere together where he can do other things - folks gave me some good ideas for locations when i asked and I am saving them up while I work on him agreeing!

I think the idea of a special focus week (or 2) for women, the nervous and the over 50s would be really good, because I can't be the only one who is not able to keep up with the younger chaps physically. IIt's not the age - I've always been the sort who needs to know something's pretty safe before I do it, I can't just launch myself off and have a go like they can! I might be only 2 months off becoming 50 (shhh!) but mentally I reckon to be more like 25-30! When I went away this year on my 1st ever ski hol, I didn't join a group lesson, as I knew I simply would not be able to keep up, especially as the lessons were 4 hrs, 9 until 1 with only a quick coffee break! Instead I had adhoc organised 1:1 lessons, which in Serbia were really cheap - about £14 an hour. Sadly the weather conditions were against us, and my progress was not good Embarassed I am still struggling with really controlling my speed in snowplough turns unless it is a very shallow slope Sad

So perhaps you could discuss it with Charlotte? Opening it up a bit to women and the nervous might increase the take-up and allow for a variety of groups?

BTW what part of Hampshire are you in? I lived there from 1963 to 1992, in Bishop's Waltham, Hayling Is, Winchester & Basingstoke, so I know the area pretty well!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NewSkier, Just logged on and have to go out !! Sad So will posr you later. I P.M 'dEasyski , so you wouldnt have seen a post. It was a little while back asking about the 50's week N/Year , so in fact I too dont know the outcome of this years over 50's week. Will post later. Very Happy I live in Petersfield
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NewSkier, my wife and I returned from the over 50's week last weekend - it was brilliant Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Charlotte was hoping for a group of 12 but ended up with 6, mostly beginners or new skiers. We are hoping for a follow up week next year for new and progressing skiers and I know the idea of a special focus for women was being considered by Charlotte. Incidentally we both grew up in Hampshire. Blush
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NewSkier, Well Richard E, seems to answered a few of our Questions! I will chat to Charlotte in April to see what she may be planning.
Hope you have a good time in Tignes and your skiing progresses.
Glad you enjoyed your week with E.S Richard E, perhaps we will all meet up N.Y in L2A Smile Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moon, We are definitely returning to L2A next year and hopefully on another of Charlotte's ventures - so yes maybe we will all meet. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like a plan, work and husband permitting!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NewSkier, Minor details Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NewSkier,
sort out the work thing - husbands have no power to permit or not permit Confused anything
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
True but pennies have to come from somewhere as ski trips sadly are not free!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Aaah - the power of persuading and influencing then
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NewSkier, holidayloverxx, I could join you, but unfortunately kids and the farm are also a complication not to mention the money and holiday allowance........if only...................
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum,

I'm not over 50 - yet
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, We must remember to at least fix up a summer trip to MK like we considered a few weeks back = maybe some other like-minded folk might like to join us!
ski holidays
NewSkier,

am eligible for that Very Happy
snow report
What criteria might we suggest? - those wanting cameraderie, coffee & confidence building?? Laughing
ski holidays
I've just seen this thread - sorry for being so slow. Shocked

In the end the Over 50's was actually a 40-something week for less experienced skiers. One or two turned out to be quite handy, and indeed Richard E, came safely down the Valentin on the last day. therefore, and although I haven't had time to give it proper thought yet, I expect I'll do another week for the "more mature" next year. It will certainly be in March and after the french holidays finish, but it would have to not clash with the MSB in case some peeps might want to do both. If I had to bring in other instructors they would all be of a suitable age, and would have moved on into modern skiing.

Then rpft has already mentioned a ladies week, and this would also be a consideration - but not at the same time. I don't think I'd run either the same as this year with having to actually put up money for a hotel to reserve enough places in the same hotel, but might offer 3 choices, and the bookings would have to be made early .... Just thinking aloud really at this stage - I'm much more concerned with organising lessons for the EOSB at the moment..... Shocked

If you are interested in any suggestion please email me at home so I can make a spreadsheet to get some possibilities together. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, I was kind of thinking from the persective of the improvers criteria rather than the Over 50 criteria luckily just not over 40 ......YET!

holidayloverxx, We might be able to travel to MK together and share the petrol costs - I'm about 3 miles south of Maldon.

NewSkier, what do you think to securing an instructer for an hour for our little group and then having the rest of the time to practice?
latest report
Sounds good to me!
snow report
Megamum,

I might be workign near MK from time to time in a few months (petrol covered), but otherwise def an option (if MR HL can come too)
snow report
This thread is interesting to me too. I won't be 50 until next October, but I'd still definitely be interested in either MK, a ladies only course, or a more mature skiers course. I have made rapid improvements and had good instruction (all from BASI trainers or BASI 1 instructors), and done a week of Phil Smith's race training, but still struggle to keep up with Mr Docsquid! Even on my new race skis he can outpace me with ease. I'd love to learn to have more confidence to carve it on steep bits and just generally ski faster.

FYI, there is an over 50's club at Tamworth that meets on a Thursday morning. It is quite sedate, and there is instruction available. Some of the skiers are quite handy.
ski holidays
Seems like there is quite a bit of interest for E.S and L2A next year.
Agree with Megamum, " I was kind of thinking from the persective of the improvers criteria rather than the Over 50 criteria luckily just not over 40 ......YET! " Not bothered about age personaly, as long as we can move on at a steady pace , which will help the old nerves Confused I see that holidayloverxx, and I are at EOSB , so perhaps we can talk to Charlotte then.
I have E-mailed as (E.S) she asked,expressing interest and with my deficits ~~ The list is long Shocked Toofy Grin
snow report
docsquid, That's interesting about the over 50s at Tamworth. I used 50 as a basic guide, but I would think any week along these lines would have to be at least over 40. then there are considerations: with groups of 4 I can ony take 12 per week. I can get other instructors, but would be very fussy about who.... I think they too should be mature and/or over 50. A women's week would deffo be separate to the mature week! I'll have to put my thinking cap on after the end of this season and also liaise with Admin about it.
snow conditions
At Castleford (closest to me by far) there is a "more mature" session but it is simply one of the slightly cheaper options for weekdays in school termtime as listed below. No tuition is on offer for any of them - there are just standard lessons going on.

Fresh Trax 9am-11am £20
Fresh Trax 9am-12noon £25 plus coffee

More Mature (over 50) 10am-12 noon, plus coffee £20

Ladies and Gents who lunch: 2 Consecutive Hours between 11am & 3pm plus lunch £25

In fact that is a major gripe I have about their organisation - you do levels 1 to 4 to achieve recreational standard and that's it, you are on your own until you are ready to do 5 and 6 (which I was told needed about 6-12hrs practice to consolidate L4). If like me you are struggling there is NO support. Yes, you can book private lessons but at an impossible cost for one hour:

£150 1 person
£200 2 people
£240 3 people
£250 4 people

I have noticed occasional offers of 30 minute 1:1 lessons at £35-£45, but they seem to be quite limited in availability.

Tamworth certainly offer far more variety in terms of lessons for following on from the initial ones, but it is about 2.5 hrs from me. I rang them out of interest to find out about their over 50s sessions. The person on the phone didn't know but found out for me that they're held on alternate Thursdays 9-12am, and there is one next week, March 29th. There are 20 places and at present there are 9 ppl booked for next week. There is informal instruction included and it costs £29 including a coffee afterwards.
snow report
NewSkier,

thats a shocking price for an hour - does anyone seriously book at that price Shocked
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, Isn't it just! No idea if anyone books - can't imagine they do! Just found out Tamworth also offer 3 different day courses for those who have just passed L4, those who're ready to move on to parallel, and those who are into carving. These are whole days, groups not 1:1 and include 4.5 hrs of tuition, coffee and lunch, plus 1 hr free practice at the end. The cost is dependant on season £99, 79 or 69. Sounds good value for a whole day to me when compared to Xscape!!
latest report
NewSkier wrote:
No idea if anyone books - can't imagine they do!

I always like to hear about a sound business plan rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Should we have an thread on this forum for the older or more nervous skiers? Then discussions like these wouldn't get lost and we cd all refer back to them and add to them when ppl have ideas/experiences to help each other. If you think it'd be a good idea. what would be a good name for it that explained what it was/who for? Perhaps I could rename this one?
snow conditions
NewSkier,

"The Older or More Nervous Skiers Thread"
latest report
Sounds fair - I will amend this one's title - and amend the 1st msg a little bit so it makes sense!
ski holidays
NewSkier,

and with proper punctuation too Very Happy
latest report
Of course! Folks of are age was tort propa at skool wink Laughing
snow report
NewSkier wrote:

Tamworth certainly offer far more variety in terms of lessons for following on from the initial ones, but it is about 2.5 hrs from me. I rang them out of interest to find out about their over 50s sessions. The person on the phone didn't know but found out for me that they're held on alternate Thursdays 9-12am, and there is one next week, March 29th. There are 20 places and at present there are 9 ppl booked for next week. There is informal instruction included and it costs £29 including a coffee afterwards.

Well, I'm not yet eligible for the over 50's session, being about 18 months too young. However if you are thinking of going on 29th I'd happilly pop down for a couple of hours recreational skiing and say Hi to you! I want to play with my new skis anyway:)
snow conditions
I would, but sadly I can't - got a visitor coming whom I have not seen for a while - I was just posting the information so anyone interested would know which weeks it was on.

Actually I am more interested in their EasySliders course - a whole day for novice recreational standard skiers

"...Designed to take you from snowplough turns to plough parallel turns - the first step, after reaching the recreational standard, to improve your style and ability..."

I've emailed them to ask for details of when such courses are available - being as it is 115 miles to the place, it seems like it'd be more sensible to go for a day's worth than a morning! As soon as we get into April the cost comes down from £99 to £79 and as far as I can see morning coffee (on arrival) and lunch are included (though I think I'd avoid school hols 28/3 - 13/4 inc!). I'll post info when I get it.
ski holidays
NewSkier, if you do make it over, let me know when you are coming, as I can pop down almost any time - I live only 2 miles from the place and can see it from the top of our road! Tamworth do offer a good range of tuition. We had a private lesson from Brian Jones prior to the race training course in Tignes in November, and it was very helpful in getting us dialled in. Brian is a BASI 1, so a good instructor. They also do a race training club, which we are hoping to visit soon. So they do a range of stuff from complete beginner to relatively advanced, given the limitations of a small slope when you are trying to go fast! The Over 50's club, last time I saw them, were getting tuition on how to carve (at least that's what it looked like to me).

I've seen a lot of the EasySliders courses in action and the skiers do seem to make progress on them.

For my sins, I've been volunteered to go on the "learn to board in a day" course this Summer, so some SH's may want to come and have a good laugh at me falling over, and learning how to sit in the middle of the piste fiddling with my bindings Wink
ski holidays
NewSkier, holidayloverxx, Megamum,
I don't mind doing a session with hints and tips at MK with Kitty (Mrs.S). Just cover the cost of the open practice ticket.
ski holidays
MK is better for me than Tamworth - even then it will take plenty of notice for me to plan to be there, but I must admit the idea of getting in some extra practice before next year is really appealing - I could get another use out of my boots too Smile . Seems like MK may be better for holidayloverxx, too? I'd be up for Spyderman's offer - with thanks. How's about the others of you? Are we all likely to be at a similar level - would it matter if we weren't or would the odd ones out 'skills' wise lose out in the deal - for example I'm certain docsquid, would ski the legs off me for all she says about needing confidence on steep bits - personally I'm still at a stage where I'd love it on shallow bits!!. Embarassed
ski holidays
Megamum,
Just let me know when.
ski holidays
That sounds like a great plan Spyderman, thanks - we had considered getting together at MK sometime in the early summer, but not school hols - May or June perhaps Smile

MK is the same company, Xscape, as Castleford so they offer similar "sessions" & prices, but fewer of them: £25 for Over 40s from 10-12 Tuesdays with coffee ( though it seems normal 2 hr off-peak's £25!) or £29 for "FreshTrax Mon, Wed, Fri 9-12. However I reckon a 9am start might be a bit of a tall order!

I think I will try and get myself a day at Tamworth sometime too, so will definitely let you know, docsquid.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy