Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Powder

Poster: A snowHead
I don't have a chalet to pimp here, but just wondering if someone can either link me or gimme a few hints into skiing powder? I've been toying around with cutting off runs here and there during this weeks snow - I keep finding that I try and turn and one ski almost turns, the other drags behind and I make a hash of it. Had a pretty nasty fall yesterday, pretty much due to my crappy technique.

Generally, I'm being cautious and not going so fast, mainly cos I'm slightly worried about all the rocks that were definitely were there last week, where the snow is now. I'm also pretty heavy (17st) and tall (6'4), so not really experienced "floating" (i dont think) - skiing 182cm salomon foils fwiw.

I did try searching but not quite got the hang of it, searching "skiing" and "powder" seems to hit every thread NehNeh
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
toiletduckuk wrote:
I don't have a chalet to pimp here, but just wondering if someone can either link me or gimme a few hints into skiing powder? I've been toying around with cutting off runs here and there during this weeks snow - I keep finding that I try and turn and one ski almost turns, the other drags behind and I make a hash of it. Had a pretty nasty fall yesterday, pretty much due to my crappy technique.

Generally, I'm being cautious and not going so fast, mainly cos I'm slightly worried about all the rocks that were definitely were there last week, where the snow is now. I'm also pretty heavy (17st) and tall (6'4), so not really experienced "floating" (i dont think) - skiing 182cm salomon foils fwiw.

I did try searching but not quite got the hang of it, searching "skiing" and "powder" seems to hit every thread NehNeh

You are quite heavy and this will put you at a disadvantage compared to lightweights but don't worry.

You really need is a nice, light powder field that is not too steep so you are not worried about going out of control. You then ski straight to get a little bit of speed but the powder and slope angle will not let you go too fast so you remain in the comfort zone. You then need to move up and down by bending the knees to unweight the skis. Once you are happy doing this combine with pole plants then with slight pivots to the knees to initiate turning when the skis are unweighted. Nothing too violent. You need to be balanced fore and aft, left and right. Not too narrow a stance and not too much upper body movement apart from pole plants - and that should be largely wrist action. No sitting back or you will not be able to control your speed and will put too much weight on the tails. It is also true you will need some speed to float off the bottom of the powder and this will depend on your weight and ski surface area. You may need a softer, shaped ski to get started.

This is the kind of turn you should be doing on our imaginary slope (this is around 15 degrees):-

Which you can then apply to steeper slopes or extend the radius a bit as on the right tracks

the only reason we are putting in a turn is coz it is fun and provides an edge check to control speed on steeper slopes. Powder is probably the easiest snow to ski out of any conditions.

The main problem is that such perfect learner slopes can be hard to find, or hard to find tracked out. Greg (kittenski) posted some videos of him skiing powder on what would be perfect learner slopes earlier in the year.

Really the secret is to have good piste technique - can you side slip on a flat ski on a blue piste for example? Then ski lots and lots of powder and dress for falls. Remember no straps or you'll break your thumbs before you ever get good at skiing powder.

Did you consider spending some time taking lessons? At the very worst an instructor should be able to find good snow on a suitable slope at the moment and let you worry about skiing.

The alternative is to get fat skis and hoon it down surfing along the top of the powder at high speeds like they do on the freeride movies. Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
toiletduckuk, Well I can put both hands up and state that I am no expert and no good at it but have leaned to enjoy off piste stuff over the past 3 seasons.

Fitness helped me big time, I am much fitter these days than I used to be as I run a lot and my legs are strong.

The guys I ski with that live in the mountains in the Winter have a saying that 'speed is your friend' in off piste - too slow and you sink!!

Bounce!! hard to relate but I have been told to bounce through the turns, this seems to work and I feel quite comfortable and more stable, I guess you are setting yourself up dynamically balancewise and not being too stiff.

Skis - I moved to shorter and fatter, okay I use 176 B2's, and they are not the great off piste ski but certainly do the job for me on and off the piste.

Smile and relax - it's fun snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, much appreciated Very Happy I'll try and put that into practise.

I'd like to get lessons, but as with earlier in the season when I was struggling a little on-piste, I really can't afford them Sad

davidof wrote:
can you side slip on a flat ski on a blue piste for example?

um - what's that mean? Slide sideways on on flat skis down the piste? I'll give that a try tomorrow too and report back, but it sounds like something I should be able to do, I'm a pretty confident piste skiier - my technique may make instructors cringe (if I manage to get out with PhillipStanton that'll probably be confirmed Very Happy), but I can hoon down reds and carve long and short turns to what I feel like is a decent level. Off piste is a new experience though - my first ever powder day was only a week ago snowHead

Again, thanks for the great post.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, 'The alternative is to get fat skis and hoon it down surfing along the top of the powder at high speeds like they do on the freeride movies' aahh now your talking sense
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
toiletduckuk, I think you just said it "my technique may make instructors cringe" If you have poor technique on piste you won't be able to ski off piste. At all! You must be basically correct in your most basic technique. You say you can't afford a lesson, but surely one private for 1.5 - 2 hours would make all the difference, and you don't have to pay extortionate prices. You may find, in a lesson that your instructor spends nearly all the time on piste if your technique is poor. S/he may give you exercises to practice, and you should do these religiously. When your basic technique problems are fixed, you'll be able to ski in deep snow. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
toiletduckuk, I know some of the purists here will tell you that you should be able to ski powder on 160cm slalom skis but I am almost exactly your height and weight and I ski 190cm Volkl Gotamas which are fatter and longer than what you are on at the minute and will give you more float in the deep stuff. Because we more substantial gents can't bounce and float like our lighter friends you will probably find it easier to carry a little more speed and make your turns closer to a GS shape initially and then when you are more comfortable you can tigthen your turn radius up into the sort of turns thatdavidof has posted above. Keep your weight central, skis together, tighten your mid section and go for it. One advantage we have is that we kick up more snow in each turn and so if you get someone to video you it always looks better on film!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
said video that David refers to is here as divx:

http://gregh.co.uk/divx/gregski.divx

and here as WMV

http://gregh.co.uk/mpeg/gregski.wmv

What's good for you given your location is all of that was taken in Les Gets and Morzine!

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I always gave myself an aim of learning to ski powder before I bought fat skis, so that I could actually appreciate the difference. I learnt by trying and trying again - many powder days lost on a snowboard because of that, but i was worth it!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof,

I hope they aren't your tracks on the big face.... Laughing Mad Cool
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Floating on the surface with fat skis.............Is it just the same as piste skiing?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weak skiers need fat skis NehNeh

Real men ski slalom skis in powder NehNeh
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski wrote:
toiletduckuk, I think you just said it "my technique may make instructors cringe" If you have poor technique on piste you won't be able to ski off piste.

Wise words.

The reason I mentioned about side slipping is that the very basic on-piste exercise where you completely unedge your skis to slip down the slope then flex to turn into the fall line pivoting the skis has a lot of resonance with turning in powder. Powder turns should not be a a strength exercise fighting the snow but really should be similar to the above turns that are a core part of on-piste skills.

If I were to go out with an instructor tomorrow I would probably go out and practise my skills on-piste.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My personal early powder experience: the unknown makes you sit back and tense up.

So, certainly all of what is said above is correct, but a key point for me was: remember basic technique and relax.

Also, the recommendation to find a suitably pitched run is invaluable - if you suddenly decide to take your learning into heavy spring crud in a gully full of trees you will a) come a cropper and b) be put off the joy that is fresh tracks.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski wrote:
toiletduckuk, I think you just said it "my technique may make instructors cringe" If you have poor technique on piste you won't be able to ski off piste. At all! You must be basically correct in your most basic technique.

Well, what I should of said is - I think I'm pretty decent (i'd call myself a level 5/6 by the Canadian charts), but I'm no instructor, it's entirely possible I'm deluded and actually total poo. Put another way - I'd be happy to ski with a group of snowHead's but an EpicSki group would probably scare me Neh Neh

Quote:
You say you can't afford a lesson, but surely one private for 1.5 - 2 hours would make all the difference, and you don't have to pay extortionate prices.

I'm living off pizzas that cost 1e90 for 3 from champion at the mo Neh Neh Next season, the plan is Whistler and one of those all season Supergroup passes - but right now, the budget can't do it...

Tried going down Zore for those who know Avoriaz today, left it till late afternoon on the run home though and it was pretty much tracked out. I found that my tips did a nosedive and I slowed down and stopped after building too little speed (I assume) at the start, so didn't really get much of a go. Had another go, and for the little untracked powder I could find, I tried to use davidof's advice - definately got the impression of what I should be doing, but still struggling with the submerging thing.. no visibility all day didn't really help though Sad
snow report
toiletduckuk wrote:
but an EpicSki group would probably scare me Neh Neh

that would scare me too, and I like to think I am reasonably proficient off-piste Laughing

Quote:
I found that my tips did a nosedive and I slowed down and stopped after building too little speed (I assume) at the start, so didn't really get much of a go. (

where are your 1080s mounted? if they're close to centre mounted for park stuff that might be part of the problem

as people have said, speed is definitely your friend. you also have to get used to being much more gentle with the way you ski. you can't really put all your weight on your outside ski, lock into a carve and forget about it. or just do a hockey stop if you think you're about to lose it. the ski with all the weight on will sink and you'll do a spinny fall. you need to feel what your skis are doing through the turn - if one feels like it is sinking, put more weight on the other
ski holidays
toiletduckuk, "I'd be happy to ski with a group of snowHead's but an EpicSki group would probably scare me Neh Neh
" I think you've got that the wrong way round! There's talking the talk and then there's walking the walk! Shocked OTOH getting half your group injured is not proving anything to anyone is it?
latest report
easiski,

I was thinking that... I know some snowHead who can ski very well (seen them ski) but who on here is a good epic skier..?
snow report
I'm confused.. I only meant that I think my skiing is to a reasonable standard, and I'd be happy skiing with good skiiers who aren't super critical, but would likely be critiqued in various smaller places by people who are interested in the super in-depth stuff.. Not really sure how people are getting hurt or talking/walking at all is involved... Puzzled

Arno - I *think* they're at the all-mountain mounting point, but I'm not actually 100%. They do seem quite close to center but I figured that's just cos they're twins and the added turned up tip on the tail made the back look longer. Will confirm tomorrow - they're in the ski store near the lifts at the mo!
snow conditions
Thanks for this thread, I'm also someone who has a complete block about powder - but it's something in my head as I am a strong and experienced piste skier. I need someone to show me one little tip for powder - I have had 3 or 4 specific private lesson in recent years on powder, but none have "clicked". However for moguls an Instructor gave me the "imagine pushing the French kid into the snow" technique that instantly got me over my similar "head" problem - moguls now hold no fear for me.

I'm afraid all the posts above aren't going to help me when I get out there in a couple of weeks (if there is any powder of course). - this demonstrates that I am stongly on the kinesthetic end of the learning style spectrum.

Any good kinestheitc instructors in or around St Gervais?
snow report
toiletduckuk, there's a thread about that - the Epic talk a lot .... Snowheads get on and do it, and there are some very, very good snowhead skiers. I've not yet seen an epic skier as good - not including Martin Bell of course) One class in the Epic ski academy managed to damage 50% of the participants... Shocked

However, if you were meaning less silly OTT citical stuff then yes. Very Happy
snow report
easiski wrote:
toiletduckuk, One class in the Epic ski academy managed to damage 50% of the participants... Shocked

erm, that'd be Martins then Laughing
snow report
SuburbanSkier, Just an idea here. Myself and a boarding mate were just experimenting a little last week with some localised shallow powder (12 - 18 inches) we found. Start with steep little hillocks with about 20m of slope and shallowing out below that. Get used to picking up speed and then make one nice turn - slow and gentle. Find one a little higher and make a couple of turns. You fall over loads but it is great fun as long as all your zips are done up Twisted Evil Practice bouncing a little as you lift your skis to start the turn. See what works and what throws you.

Then go get a lesson and practice some more. For my own case I would much rather have got used to at least being in the stuff (even with the risk of picking up the odd bad habit for a day or two) rather than going into a formal lesson with no idea of what powder even feels like. Then again - I have had a few hints along the way. As said above - speed keeps you going - almost all of my falls are when I try to slow down. Let the skis get a touch of speed down the fall line before trying to turn them.
ski holidays
toiletduckuk, SuburbanSkier, I'd agree pretty much with what davidof said at the top of this thread. But boiling it down to the most simple instructions I'd say
a) bounce and
b) keep your feet moving as one.

If you do that it'll work, but if you want a bit more of an explanation, this following is my take on this.

b) Keeping your feet moving as one reduces the likelihood of the skis turning at different radii, diverging and heading off in different directions. As you are skiing in deep snow, once they do head off in different directions it's very difficult to get them back together again, and you'll end up eating snow very quickly. There is a big difference here between piste skiing and deep snow skiing in that on a piste you need quite independent extension of each leg to get the appropriate pressure on each ski, as the piste is a hard flat surface, and your ski positions have to match what the piste surface is doing. Deep snow though is a soft and malleable surface, so you only get the pressure to make the turn from the strength with which you push against it (through the bouncing), so you need to be very careful to match the motions from each leg pretty precisely. I do this by concentrate pretty hard on where my knees and ankles are, getting them as evenly matched as possible - almost trying to pretend I'm on a (shock, horror) monoski (although as I've never monoskied, I could be way off what it really feels like). Davidof said to keep not too narrow a stance, but I'm not sure about this. Yes as you narrow your stance, you lateral stability is reduced, but it becomes way easier to ensure your feet are moving as one. The better you get the more subtle and stronger the control you'll get of each foot, and this becomes less important and you may wish to then widen your stance to improve lateral stability - but I found the narrower the stance the better was very helpful in the early stages (although I do have a fairly wide natural stance, so if you originally learned with a boots together style you're probably there already).

a) the reason for "bouncing" down the slope is that powder is (hopefully) soft so gives a lot under your skis. The point of the bounce is that the downward push from your legs compresses the snow a bit and firms it up, so gives you a platform on top of which the skis can turn, rather than just giving way under you. The best way to get into this is to find a very shallow slope and just head straight down the fall-line bouncing as you go. First go you'll probably get your torso goind quite up and down as well, but be fairly active in flexion and extension at the hips and knees to keep a quiet upper body (remember to allow the legs to shorten back up under you at the end of the bounce, or you'll have nowhere to push from for the next one). Get into a nice rhythm, and once this feels good start a gentle push out to the side on each bounce - but do not try to twist the skis at this stage or you'll probably trip yourself up. Look back at the end of your run and hey-presto you'll see a nice set of 'S'es behind you. And if the slope is too steep to straight-line it, start on a bit of a traverse that you can straight-line and put in a few bounces to get the motion going and to get the feel of the snow before turning down the fall-line to making your turns run.

As you get more comfortable with this and progress onto steeper slopes you can get a bit more energetic with the side pushes and add a bit more deliberate of a steer as you come out of each turn to keep the speed down.

SuburbanSkier, if you're a strong piste skier, my guess is that your main problem will be skiing too one-footed - i.e. you've been used to carving with the outside foot and adjusting the inside foot to match what's then going on. Soft snow skiing is very much two footed - treat both feet exactly the same. Just remember to re-establish independent foot movements when you get back onto piste - it normally takes me one stumble/fall before I get the appropriate tape running inside my head Embarassed .
snow conditions
Quote:

Weak skiers need fat skis

Real men ski slalom skis in powder

I think you'll find real men slalom on fat skis wink
ski holidays
GrahamN - You're spot on re being one-footed - and I've been told that so many times. I even practice two footed on the piste and it seems fine, until I get in the powder, then worry I'm losing control, and try and do something that's just not possible on powder. Until I know what it FEELS like, I don't think I'll crack it.
ski holidays
My take

In a few inches of snow, the turn doesn't really matter as a decent enough turn will work ok, ditto corn snow
In deep stuff, things become a bit more critical and you don't want skis getting snagged so balance over the skis is the 1st thing because you need to be in a postion to stay upright; next momentum and rhythm are good and the bounce helps this. It releases the skis from contact and allow an easier turn.

I think there ar many ways that poeple ski it and on our recent trip to LG it was possible to see quite a few different approaches.

Some ski very tightly and use a banked turn to start things off, this checks your momentum and throws the skis up in the air ready for turning. The tips do not necessarily come out of the snow. Others sit very centrally and just edge the skis left and right with a bounce.
Some just get in a great position and just drive them through the snow...you don't see the skis working but they still need the skis to release and turn.
I try and get a platform to rise off of and the tips are almost out of the snow.

In all the cases I have mentioned, everyone is up and down on the skis, press and release and they all work and leave nice tight turns in deepish snow. For wider turns a more simple ride of the ski does ok.....but you need your tight turns sorted for narrow gullies and trees.....

Don't mention deep snow in tight trees.......!!!!!!!!!! Laughing

And finally, you can't get this by talking about it too much, you have to get in there and do your fair share of falling over... Laughing

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 26-03-07 16:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I agree completely with GrahamN's analysis.

Too bad I can't seem to put it into practice as often/well as I would like!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SuburbanSkier wrote:
I even practice two footed on the piste and it seems fine...
Ah, so that tells me you're right in that you don't know what it feels like and are doing it wrong, as what I'm talking about does not work on piste - you'd end up making turns on the inside ski with the outside ski (just) in the air.

Here's a thought - you've probably seen the carving exercise where you tie a bungee loosly around your knees and have to keep it in place as you carve turns (exercise in keeping parallel shins in a wide stance). But try a variation for the powder where you tie the bungee much tighter to keep the knees together, and then it'll become very obvious when your knees are moving up and down independently. Another idea for when you can't find deep snow...can you zipper-line the moguls? The up-down leg movements when doing that are pretty similar, although the timing of them (and almost everything else) is quite different - you must be much smoother in the powder whereas you're much punchier and more twisty in the moguls.

BTW the "imagine pushing the French kid into the snow" technique sounds useful Wink - what is it?
ski holidays
GrahamN wrote:
SuburbanSkier wrote:
I even practice two footed on the piste and it seems fine...
Ah, so that tells me you're right in that you don't know what it feels like and are doing it wrong, as what I'm talking about does not work on piste - you'd end up making turns on the inside ski with the outside ski (just) in the air.

GrahamN, why wouldn't it work?

I came from the "old-school". Only this season I started learning to carve on shaped skis. Every time I took a lesson, I got shouted at "widen your stance"!!! Eventually, I did. And the accompanied 40/60 weight distribution. I was definitely carving on BOTH skis.

When I took my first lesson on powder (I'm one of the lucky devil attending MSB at Wengen last week), I was told to narrow my stance, for the first time this season!!! In fact, the instructor had me pratice narrowing my stance on the piste no less.

As an "old-timer", I understood quite well the effect of moving the legs as one by narrowing the stance. And it felt quite familiar putting my legs back together and moving them as one. Not entirely knees together as in the old days, but much narrower stance than what I was taught in on piste lessons.

So, how else would one pratice the proper powder stance until one gets lucky to happen upon a few powder day?
ski holidays
abc, it's not so much the width of the stance I see as important here (although being narrower helps a huge amount) as the platform you form with the skis. As I see it, the bases of the two skis should lie on a single surface, so it's the relative up-down motion of the knees you need to minimise, as opposed to the exact opposite when carving on piste. Even in old-skool with boots bolted together laterally (AIUI) you had one foot lifted above the other when inclining into the turn so either both skis were on the piste, or just the outside one. Here we want to keep the skis as level as possible, so I don't see how it can work on a hard(ish) piste. As I said above, I think the closest equivalent condition you'll get for on-piste skiing is the two-footed push and absorb on the face of a mogul when trying to zipper-line the run. I'm no instructor though, just someone who's worked out how to do all this in the last few years, so maybe someone with a bit more authority can comment on suitable exercises?
snow report
GrahamN, "Fench kid" I thought you'd never ask. . . . As you come out of a turn and start the next one, immediately pretend to push your (new) inside hand down as if pushing a kid (french if the illusion works) straight down into the snow with your hand on the top of its head. Without trying, it taught me to relax/drop my inside knee early instead of tensing it. My piste turns improved, but more dramatically I instantly discovered I could do moguls (well until the thighs give out). That's what I mean by one of those "feely" teaching techniques that makes one part of the body do something, but is actually retraining another part. And despite yet more useful advice in recent posts on this thread, I am still looking for an equivalent for powder - if not on here then in or near St Gervais 7th-13th April.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy