Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thanks are due...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Since joining Snowheads, and reading numerous threads on boots and bootfitting, I had started to get a nagging feeling that the problems I was having with my boots were due to them being too big: the need to continually tighten them up through the day, the fact that I would get cramp when skiing bumps, or steeper terrain...

After some deliberation, I pm'ed CEM, who kindly agreed to fit me in at short notice, as I wanted to see if I could resolve any problems before I went to Chamonix. I headed to Bicester, hoping that I was overestimating the problem, and that a bit of padding-out or maybe some new footbeds would see me ok.

I was greeted in Bicester by the welcoming and ebullient form of CEM, who asked me a few questions about how and when I skied, and then suggested we have a look at my boots. He removed the liners from my five year old Salomon 1080's, and we did a shell check. As feared, the boots, a 29.0, were at least a size too large! CEM took several measurements of my feet, which came up as 27.5/28.0, and he explained why I had been suffering pain when I skied. Time for new boots, it seems...

The only problem was, CEM didn't think he'd be able to find anything suitable for me, and didn't want to put me in new boots for the sake of it. He then suggested that there might be a couple of people worth seeing in Chamonix, as we were heading off that way... All of this took up about 25 minutes of CEM's time, including some time generally shooting the breeze about skiing, his background, future trips etc. For this, he charged me nothing, claiming that he 'really hadn't done anything'. I begged to differ, but he would hear nothing of it. A true gentleman; one whose services I would heartily recommend to anyone who feels they may have problems with their boots.

I took CEM's advice and, along with one of the mates I was going skiing with, contacted one Largezookeeper. He hastily arranged appointments for us on the Sunday evening we arrived in Chamonix, as well as kindly arranging hire skis for our group of five.

To say that this bootfitting differed from the occasion, five years ago, when I bought my first pair of boots in Snow & Rock, would be an understatement bordering on downright lies. We were warmly welcomed by LZK, we congratulated and commiserated each other on the result of the Chelsea v Spurs game, enjoyed his (sometimes) gentle ribbing of any Frenchman foolish enough to speak to him following England's mighty victory at Twickenham, and I learned more about ski boots, feet and the art (and it is one) of the bootfitter than I had thought possible in 3 hours.

My mate and I were both checked over, measured, checked over again, and then TALKED TO. LZK wanted to know what we wanted out of our boots, our skiing, our comfort levels, how often we were likely to ski, what we didn't like about our current boots, what we thought needed improving, whether we would we like beer? He told us what we could expect, what we couldn't expect, what to do if the boots were painful. In short, it was all about information. The boots that LZK picked out for both of us first off ended up being the ones we went away with (although my mate's liners were swapped, and I ended up in a 28.0, rather than a 27.0 (sorry SZK...)), after a lengthy session of footbed construction, heating of liners and shells and a few 10-15 minute sessions of fairly uncomfortable wearing of the boots, complete with neoprene toecaps and foam padding on those pressure points. In all, about three hours of the most informative, enjoyable and, at times, downright uncomfortable time I have spent in a ski shop.

We both returned with our boots on the second day, as LZK thought we would, to have a couple of adjustments made; adjustments I expect to be the first of a few, before I am completely happy with the boots. They are considerably closer fitting than anything I have skied in before, but the difference in control was noticeable from the first run at Grands Montets on the Monday morning.

To summarise; a massive shout of thanks to CEM, Largezookeeper (and Damian). Their willingness to fit us in at short notice, share their knowledge and offer up friendly help marks them out as true pro's, whose services I would heartily recommend to all and sundry. Gentlemen, one and all. The only downside is the bolloc$ing I took from the missus when she found out I'd bought yet more new kit. But you can't win 'em all, can you...?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tell the Mrssus to try out some new boots as well. She may not feel so left out and have warm comfortable feet as well.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ntfarmer, Taking your Wife to see Colin as well, for your birthday? Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
but she not complaining about me getting new kit rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ntfarmer wrote:
but she not complaining about me getting new kit rolling eyes

Laughing Laughing is that because she is embarrased about the kit you do have Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
they cant be that bad a you still ski with us. And you do still store them fore me.
Laughing Laughing
PS can you send me the details of the skis and binding when you are next out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ntfarmer, I've told you the British Museum isn't interested in your ski's ....yet! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They could become a very valuable in the future.

Mrs NTFARMER suggested that i should buy a new sat of skis to use when the condtition are not good and keep the old for when the snow is deep (chest)........ Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ntfarmer, I think your need for new boots is slightly greater than your need for new ski's Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hence the visit to CEM in april/may when time allows.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ntfarmer, don't think I haven't tried that... wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rainman so it didnot work with the MRS rainman but you got round it some how. Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy