Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do "phat" skis make a big difference in powder?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been lucky enough to get a go at skiing in thigh deep powder in the Pyrenees today, but unfortunately I spent half the day wallowing about trying to retrieve my skis from beneath 70cm of snow. Probably this is down to my awful technique, but everyone else seemed to be using massive fat skis and I like to think they would have helped. Do they make a big difference?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Hey, do the guy a favour and give advice (I'm an avid reader of your posts)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, That post as with 2/3 of his other's advertising his company for free, not clever and not particularly subtle Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin,

SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh dear, we are all tetchy today?

Mountainbug, yes, phat skis will make a difference. It's why powder is easier for boarders than skiers. But there is also a technique involved; weight has to be back rather than forward, so that the tips stay on top (hence your frequent retrieval problem!)

Now that is just my observation and (inexpert!) opinion - I'm sure others will be along with more supportive and supported views... SZK, shame on you!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BTW boredsurfin, where exactly is the advert in SZK's post? Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TallTone, Check his other posts it's pure advertising, if you ran a mountain business I think you would know the answers!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mountainbug, here are some key points for powder skiing:

- A very calm upper body, not twisting around.
- Good forward and wide hand position
- No sitting back (a good powder skier looks to be sitting back, but actually has weight centred or in the balls of the feet)
- More compressed in the legs, to generate more 'unweighting' to lighten the skis when turning
- Lots of turning of the feet
- Lots of rhythm in the turns, to economise on energy (end of one turn automatically starts the next turn)
- In a nutshell, it's actually carving technique but more bouncy

- Lots of instruction!

- Yes, big skis help, but not on steeper slopes where speed control is very important in deep snow.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TallTone, I refer to the first post in this thread which is advertising subtle but not that subtle.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith wrote:

- Lots of rhythm in the turns, to economise on energy (end of one turn automatically starts the next turn)

Hear him! Hear him!

There are some other tricks, like forcing the tips down into the snow to find the hardpack, but they are vastly dependent on specific conditions (density, crust, depth, skier weight).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, Embarassed thought you meant SZK...

CSM - can we please have a "head-slapping" icon? Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TallTone wrote:
But there is also a technique involved; weight has to be back rather than forward, so that the tips stay on top (hence your frequent retrieval problem!)

I would not follow that advice. Stay centered over your skis as per normal... sitting back is simply not a dynamic position to be in and your quads will soon start screaming at you to go get a lesson. There is no reason at all why you can't ski powder really well on "thin" skis.

It's a personal thing but I prefer fattish as opposed to obese. Go rent first and make your own mind up but get the technique sussed first.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TallTone, Laughing Laughing The small one has NEVER advertised his wares directly on snowHeads. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
YES
ski holidays
dme, NO!

Powder is best appreciated on a pair of 205cm race department slalom skis.

If you can't get the real thing (as they haven't been made in a few years) then a pair of 165cm, 60mm underfoot, RD slalom skis will do in a pinch. The nice thing is that these are also ideal for piste cruising, bumps, spring snow, crud, ice and the park.

Honest, you know I'm right Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Hey, SMALLZOOKEEPER, you still got any of those Stockli DP Pros to play with? I saw a guy at the weekend wearing a pair of (I believe) 201s. I'd say he was skiing on a pair, but, well, IMHO he wasn't, really, err, skiing. If you know what I mean.

They were a lovely colour though!! ((Mountainbug, they're quite fat - and I believe quite entertaining in the deep and fluffies.))

[I have reluctantly concluded that the Dobermanns weren't really designed for powder. Shame.]
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
TallTone wrote:
But there is also a technique involved; weight has to be back rather than forward, so that the tips stay on top (hence your frequent retrieval problem!)

I would not follow that advice. Stay centered over your skis as per normal... sitting back is simply not a dynamic position to be in and your quads will soon start screaming at you to go get a lesson. There is no reason at all why you can't ski powder really well on "thin" skis.

It's a personal thing but I prefer fattish as opposed to obese. Go rent first and make your own mind up but get the technique sussed first.

Good advice Bode. You want to be balanced on your skis even if on steep slopes it can look like people are sitting back (their c.o.g. is still over the middle of the bindings). Generally this means you should at least feel your shins on the front of your boots.

This winter I've skied on 65mm waisted skis but something a bit fatter like the Atomic Diran is better for powder... I wouldn't go too extreme. The skis don't need to come out of the snow to turn, they just need to be pivoted by unweighting just like on the ski slopes.
snow conditions
Mountainbug,

Yep, you need fat skis because in deep snow you need help to get the skis to rise up and float to the surface. This will help the next turn intiation. If its that deep you will be going pretty straight so a bouncey motion will help unweight. If it is really hard work and not happening for you then a punch upward of the outside hand/arm will bring the weight round in a better place to follow through. Not text book and people here may argue why you shouldn't do it but it helps if you are in it and struggling and actually need a here and now way of coping. After that you can argue the toss about a deep snow lesson but its after the fact.
latest report
what are people calling fat these days? Puzzled Laughing Shocked Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
JT wrote:
If it is really hard work and not happening for you then a punch upward of the outside hand/arm will bring the weight round in a better place to follow through. Not text book and people here may argue why you shouldn't do it but it helps if you are in it and struggling and actually need a here and now way of coping. After that you can argue the toss about a deep snow lesson but its after the fact.

Or just tilt the head.
ski holidays
"Do "phat" skis make a big difference in powder? "
That is the first question I have ever seen posted on snowHeads that made me laugh out loud.....I actually applaud you subtle trollishness...you even got a bunch of serious answers!
ski holidays
parlor, phat if y' please. wink
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, davidof, I did say I was no expert... Laughing
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
holidayloverxx, That post as with 2/3 of his other's advertising his company for free, not clever and not particularly subtle Sad

Mountainbug - care to respond? we can see you are online.....
snow report
Mountainbug - care to respond? we can see you are online.....[/quote]

whoops - now he's gone Sad
snow conditions
He's had a flurry of enquiries about availability. Laughing
latest report
Boys and girls, let us please be friendly and welcoming to all newcomers Toofy Grin .

Mountainbug, is doing no more advertising than many others - and links to external websites are allowed in signatures.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Who reads sig lines this century?
snow report
Ray Zorro,

I really would have liked to hear Mountainbug's side of it, hence my Crying or Very sad I probably frightened him off.
snow report
holidayloverxx, don't listen to boredsurfin - he's a troublemaker wink .
snow conditions
can not believe people can be so tetchy on here Sad
ski holidays
nice web page though wink
snow report
rayscoops, Ray Zorro, Laughing Laughing wink
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
can not believe people can be so tetchy on here Sad

I can't believe it either. Why are people so butter?
ski holidays
TallTone wrote:
Bode Swiller, davidof, I did say I was no expert... Laughing

Sorry TallTone, I wasn't criticizing what you said just agreeing with Bode.

Speaking generally I think the problem with “online” advice, like reading books, is that it is hard to apply. An instructor would be able to provide feedback and there are some good ones in the Bareges area such as Stephane Delpech who works with the ESF.
snow report
davidof, no worries. Whatever Mountainbug's intention, it has stimulated a debate and I've learnt something wink So it's not all bad! snowHead
snow conditions
I have no comment on this but one request. Can we do away with this "phat" thing? It's Fat
end of
snow report
Arno, hooray... so true...

If Mountainbug does return - I hope he/she will take some constructive criticism of his/her website. Comic Sans is a pretty awful font for anything except mildly nauseating newsletters from friends at xmas. Too many images next to each other. Variable width pages etc. Could do better.
ski holidays
Fat skis are fun Madeye-Smiley
I finally came to the conclusion that since I ski for fun I should get myself some skis that make life a bit more fun for me. I'm a 95% off piste skier who has spent the last years skiing on 2m Völkl P30 RCs. Not a powder ski as such! The difference on my new Mantras is amazing. In fresh powder the difference is not so big, but in carved up crud and heavy stuff the Mantras just shine. Recommended!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy