Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much would you spend???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Weve decided to go to Saalbach next year and are going to get a late deal (do you get late deals for skiing?). One reason for this is so theres actually snow there after our Bulgaria experience.

We would like Half Board, need ski pass, boots,skis and lessons for a week. How much would you spend to think youve got yaselfs a good deal??

Any accomadation to stay at which is good value and reccomended??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When are you planning on going- HUGE price difference depending on the time of year you go. How many people etc etc

You need to be a little more specific.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MFC, For a decent hotel in Saalbach (and most are, not many cheaper ones) with all the works, we've averaged about £1k per person for a week. That also depends on how much you drink and eat on the mountain I guess. This was booked well in advance though as I haven't seen that many late deals to Saalbach, it's a popular place but well worth the money.

You could probably do it for a bit less DIY or Hinterglemm may have a wider choice of hotels. I think that some on here have been recently and got a good rate for a Saalbach hotel. My favourite in Saalbach is the Bauer - great rooms and food, and a nice wellness and pool area.

To be honest, I'm fussy when it comes to hotels so I like to know where I'm going rather than leaving it to chance. I usually only have one trip a season so I'm willing to spend a bit more on it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
2 people and if Im lucky I can go any time from Jan to Mar.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MFC, Late deals have many advantages.

However, I think you need to be flexible if you want one. A particular hotel in Saalbach may not be on offer. Chalets are often more likely to have discounts because operators have incurred costs. If a hotel room does not sell it can usually be released back to the hotel owners by the tour company at no cost to themselves. Having said that, I have had a last minute discount in a Hinterglemm hotel on the Saalbach circuit.

Pass, boots, skis and lessons rarely offer last minute savings in my experience. I would total those up from the brochures or other sources and assume they are a fixed cost.

You could go down the DIY route - book a flight and then sort accommodation nearer the time. Leogang on the Saalbach circuit has a train station.

If you do get a discount on the basic half board package, it would be a couple of hundred pounds per person at least. As Nadenoodle says, the holiday price will vary according to high or low season, Christmas, Easter half term.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Package holidays to Saalbach and Hinterglemm are very popular so you will be extremely lucky to find a late deal through a major tour operator. They don't seem to have a problem selling their allocations.

3 suggestions:
1. I did once get a late deal to Saalbach through www.rocketski.com. They have about 150 beds a week to fill so you may get lucky.
2. Given the popularity, you only have a decent chance of a major tour-op late in real low season, say 2nd or 3rd week of Jan.
3. Go DIY. Book a flight to Salzburg as early as poss. Book accomodation direct at Obertauern (for snow reliability insurance) and Saalbach/Hinterglemm. With a beady eye on your cancellation terms, ditch one of the bookings as late as you can.

You can save a lot of money on accomodation costs, either DIY or through the tour ops, if you're prepared to stay in the few kilometres between Saalbach and Hinterglemm. If you search the forums several people have done it and reported reasonably convenient experiences so you can take a judgement on that.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had a last minute half board hotel half way between Saalbach and Hinterglemm begining of March 2005 - I believe we paid £279. I can't remember which TO, but I imagine it was through Iglu. There were 10 of us. I'm pretty sure it was booked in the January.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers all, dont think the misses would like the DIY route, but I will try the last minute(can go tomorrow approach). We may end up some where else in Austria as Im not to bothered which resort we go to however Ive set my heart on Austria because of all the good reports we have had.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1000£ per week, end of.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Ive set my heart on Austria because of all the good reports we have had.

you need to be flexible about that, too. One big advantage of a last minute deal is you can go where the snow is. Sometimes Austria has good snow, sometimes it doesn't. This year the lower Austrian resorts had some very poor snow at times. As Latchigo says, you won't save on the ski pack part of the trip, though you can sometimes do better to avoid the tour operator offers; it's very easy to find out prices from resort web sites so that you don't get a bum deal.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy