Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl & Schladming - Anyone been to both?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone skied both?

I skied Obergurgl last Easter but limited and only blue runs. Last month I skied Schladming like I was born there ;-) and had no difficulty with the reds there. (mental barrier overcome, I am hoping)

If anyone has skied both I was hoping someone could give me a comparison of the more difficult runs at both resorts.

Ta.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been to both but didn't notice any real difference in the piste grading. I would say that my recollection is that Obergurgl is not so sedate and the long cruisey reds are fast and steeper...generally. Obergurgl has more entertaining drops here and there as Schladmin is in the trees. We had better snow is Obergurgl as well and I would rate in a better all round skiing destination of the two.

I couldn't recall any names of pistes, I'm afraid.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Leuzzi, Yes have skied both but unfortunately about twenty years ago went to Schladming one year then Obergurgl the next. Having skied quite a few different places since then don't think anything in my hazy memory would be of use Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have skied both, Schladming twice and Obergurgl once. In terms of a comparison, I would say that the standard of runs is about the same - neither has much in the way of really tricky blacks (apart from the high ski route at Obergurgl (Wurmkogel?) I think which was closed the whole week we were there due to wind and visability), both have a range of reds and blues. I was disappointed with the extent at Obergurgl, for cruising reds and blues we did get bored towards the end of the week and spent quite a lot of time in Davids Hut as a result! Never really got the feeling of 'travelling' at Obergurgl, but definitely did at Schladders, which IMO has a much bigger range of pistes, although they are mostly of similar pitch and difficulty, mainly through the trees so good if visibility is poor. Reds at Obergurgl can however sometimes seem easier as you are more likely to get better snow there, which can often define how much fun you have skiing a piste.

I think due to the extent (and also cost), I would choose Schladming over Obergurgl unless I was going really early or late. The Amade liftpass covers acres and acres of skiing at other nearby resorts like Flachau, Wagrain etc. so you really get to try lots of different types of skiing.

Happy sliding snowHead
D
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy