Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Spring Conditions

Poster: A snowHead
I am shortly off to the snow for a couple of weeks and would appreciate any advice for technique when skiing in spring conditions previously I have struggled a bit once conditions become become very soft and slushy.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevinrhead, soft and slushy can be the biggest blast going.

The big problem with warmer conditions is that a water film forms under the ski that can suck the ski down, taking all the run out of the skis.
My top tips for keeping things moving and having fun are

Wax your skis - dry bases are a nightmare in the slush

Stay on the edges and on the turn. Keeping on the turn allows the water to clear from under the base. You'll go slower pointing straight with flat skis and if you hit a wet patch could launch over the top.

Go faster. Soft wet snow is heavy and going slow is very fatiguing, a bit more speed lets your momentum do the work of blasting through it rather than being bullied around by it.

A more even weight distribution between your skis also helps.

Use the terrain to help you, if there are small bumps don't avoid them, use them to unweight the skis at the start of the turns.

Don't take any advice that says lean back.

Most importantly, smile Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rich, Thanks for that just the sort of advice I was looking for. Is it better to ski in these conditions with a shorter stiffer slalom ski or a longer softer all mountain ski.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevinrhead, Biggest ski you can find!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kevinrhead - important factor is to remember that you're generally skiing through the snow, rather than on it (unless you go the SMALLZOOKEEPER route!). This means it's going to:

- slow you down more quickly than if you're on top of it
- make "twisting" the ski harder
- trip you up if you try to do things too suddenly.

As rich says, speed certainly helps - as does tipping the ski on it's edge, rather than trying to twist it. Other things that will help are:

- being more gradual with the turn - i.e. don't "hoik" the skis around
- if sks straight down the fall-line is "zero", then try not to bring the skis more than 40-45 degrees - otherwise the slushy stuff will trip you up.

As SMALLZOOKEEPER says, if you're struggling then a wider (and softer) ski will help.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kevinrhead, Get up earlier, be on first lift or before wink Go hard and stop for a v. late lunch then give up 'cos the snow will be slush Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, alternatively have a nice lie in until all that horrible frozen stuff melts and the fun really starts Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kevinrhead, Looking at the weather forecast I would be practising your powder techniques Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, Just brought a pair of B3's so I live in hope Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rich wrote: Don't take any advice that says lean back.

Rich, let's not misconstrue leaning back with slightly tilting up the ski tips, a technique essential when waterskiing and very effective for skimming over very wet patches and puddles on the lower runs.
The skier will only use the toes to tilt the ski tips up whilst still retaining a central stance on the skis. We all know of that age old story of the powder skier seemingly leaning back when in actual fact he is simply tilting his ski tips.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh how I wish this thread has started before I went away last week. Three heavy falls, two caused by my ineptitude in the soft and slushy, the other by a fat German coming too fast over the brow of a hill while I was happily traversing on the other side. Still there's always next year to try out these techniques Crying or Very sad

Any advice on how to ski on grass?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Clive, Skiing on grass rocks, i makes or breaks the day. Helps you to relax and with your MP3 player can have you dancing on the piste. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Clive wrote:
Oh how I wish this thread has started before I went away last week. Three heavy falls, two caused by my ineptitude in the soft and slushy, the other by a fat German coming too fast over the brow of a hill while I was happily traversing on the other side. Still there's always next year to try out these techniques Crying or Very sad

Any advice on how to ski on grass?

You mean like this one Toofy Grin
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24661
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fast and sure-footed. B3's will be fine
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Soft and slushy is far far better than hard and icey Smile
I find soft slushy snow is fun and forgiving (on piste that is) if you ski it reasonably fast and keep your momentum up.
Be careful though if it freezes again overnight. In that case a late start following the sun around is the best approach.
ski holidays
Basically good conditions to practice carving in since you will slow down a lot in the turn and have plenty of grip. Carving is also the best way to cut through the slush mounds without bouncing over them too much.
snow report
Get your self on a Monoski in the afternoon and enjoy the slushy stuff when all the (2) plankers have wimped out Toofy Grin
snow report
maybe get on a snowboard???
latest report
pam w, in deep powder that had become slush I was working a heel to toe turn and the entire board, on its toe edge, dug into the slush up upto my bindings and I ground to a halt, I was stuck at 45 degree angle and it was bug to get out. Under a chair lift of Very Happy course
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy