Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which countries do all-day ski school?

Poster: A snowHead
Help please! It's years since I went to ski school (lazy, not expert) and I hope to take a 13-year-old novice snowboarder somewhere for the last week of the season. He will need to go in snowboard school all day - certainly for the first few days. Does anyone know which countries / resorts generally have all day lessons?
And any suggestions as to where to go would be appreciated - it will have to be somewhere high, preferably with a glacier (as it's w/c 14th April). Also preferably somewhere with a bit of interest for said 13-year-old's non-ski-ing mum.
Oh yes, and dirt cheap too. Without a single-room supplement.
Good thing I'm not picky....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

He will need to go in snowboard school all day

Why? Poor lad will be knackered. What's wrong with lessons in the morning and practice after lunch?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mayrhofen in Austris is a nice place to hang out for non-skiers (procided they like cake and drink and pizza and all sort of other tasties)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with Lizzard: this poor lad goes to school all day during term time, and then he goes on holiday to find he's back in school all day again! Shocked Where's the fun in that?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scream, Probably not much help if you are looking to do it on the cheap, but all day kids lessons are pretty normal in the US and Canada.

Lizzard, Jonpim, It might just be that a 13 year old would like to be learning with his own age group and might actually enjoy ski school all dayl? My sprogs certainly have done, and it saves all that faffing around meeting up again after only an couple of hours skiing. You can then have whole days together as well.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
borovets in bulgairia does 10am to 3:30 pm, they keep them for lunch as well.
Borosport i think their called.
Jason
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother, you are quite wrong. 13 year olds only go to ski school to learn of all the bumps and jumps and narrow paths through the trees. They then spend the afternoon thoroughly enjoying themselves humiliating their parents taking them through all these Fun Bits. Any interference with this vital activity will cause deep psychological damage.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, thanks to all, you've made me think and laugh!
I really hadn't thought of the poor love being knackered as he's got ten times as much energy as me on a good day... but the real problem is I'm a skier and, while I'd be delighted to ski with him in the afternoons, I know nothing at all about boarding and don't think I'd be much use to him as a ski companion. Do you know a 13-year-old lad who would want to be seen dead with a 52-year-old female biddy on skis? And Jonpim, you've struck a cord, I couldn't cope with the humiliation.
But I don't know if he will be safe to go off on his own, and I don't think mum would be too happy about that.
petemillis, I really like your suggestion of Mayrhofen - I've been there and the Hintertux glacier is fantastic. I'd been discounting Austria as most of their resorts are so low which will make snow cover very iffy at that time of year, but I hadn't thought that one through.
Anyway, I'll investigate all your suggestions, thanks everyone.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim, My 10 yr old can successfully humiliate me in 10 minutes skiing with me after the end of a full days lesson.... if I hear those magic words "can we go in the terrain park" one more time I will scream. But I take your point.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When I was in early teens I couldn't get enough of ski school, all day was great for me. Skiing fast with kids my own age, loved it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
took my son to fernie 3 years ago he was 11 then,he joined the full day snowboard adventure club i think it was around $400 dollars for 9 days inc lunch, he went from complete beginer to level 5 good intermediat doing some of the steeper runs up on the elk chair and over to curry, he loved it and the instructors were brill... go there
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Do you know a 13-year-old lad who would want to be seen dead with a 52-year-old female biddy on skis?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Er .............. possibly not. Board school it is, then.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just a thought... many places class kids as 12 and under and then lump everyone else together. It may be that he isn't with kids his own age, but with adults Confused I would have thought that they would be adults at the younger end of the spectrum, but it may be that they are not teenagers.

Obertauern is another Austrian resort that should be fine for the week commencing 14th April.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't speak highly enough of Kuehtai for beginners. It's a lovely wee village, the highest canton in Austria with snow until May. Ski school in the morning and afternoon, excellent resort as everywhere is within reach. May get a bit boring for the most experienced skiier, but it does boast some of Austria's finest ski touring and claims to be the epicentre of it. There is also a new lift, but you'll ski everything in a day and a half easily. For the non skiier, Innsbruck around the corner and restaurants where they could meet you for lunch (Dorfstadl).

The ski school is super, very friendly and they don't over fill classes. A magic carpet on a quiet nursery slope to start with, and then the Drei Seen and Moosbahn offer excellent blues for the beginner. It's also reasonably priced.

Don't tell anyone.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Soll, Austria do all day Ski Schools and i would totally recommend them to anyone.

We learnt so much, and on one day we were given the choice to learn more stuff or have a tour across the Skiwelt. The group took the tour option and it still remains one of the best days skiing i have had. And we were still being taught too.

You get lunch stops so no worries about feeling tired. Ignor the "Ski to Lunch" crowd, ski all day while you still can.
Laughing
latest report
Please double check on the lessons in a resort before picking and booking somewhere. I learnt to board in Soll 3 seasons ago - and the main ski school there only did half day lessons for boarding. Our instructor said it was because boarding is all about practice and 'feeling' the edge, so its a waste of time and money to have an instructor all day.
Also note that on a board - if you are an absolute beginner - you don't move around the mountain much on the first 3-4 days - as you can't really go very far until you've mastered linking a turn as its pretty crap trying to sideslip all the runs! But then again the lad is young - so he'll probably be linking turns at the end of day 1!
ski holidays
whistler. Positives on all points,
snow report
garywilk, Oh yes, you are soooooooo right about that! But I've just had a fortnight in Whistler and can't justify (and certainly can't afford!) to go back there for just a week. This has to be very much budget-priced - eg my end-of season week I got last year in La Plagne, fully catered for £120!
Again, thanks to all for your suggestions which I'm looking at.
By the way mountain mad, your last comment is probably right. He's done a couple of snowboard camps on a dry slope and is well away, so I think I won't see him for spray when he hits the real thing!
snow report
Agree with martski and Ski Bat about all day ski school
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy