Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train to grndelwald

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of next year and going back to Grindelwald where i went last year.

Planning to go independant rather than TO,what's the best route?

Geneva i guess is easiest to fly into,then train to Interlaken,but can anyone recommend or advise on different/easier options?

Tks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zurich and Basel are better than Geneva - shorter rail transfer.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LIAMJ, Bern Airport if you can find a flight, it's only about an hour by road to Grindelwald
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bern Airport (possibly the smallest Capital airport in the world) Smile - bus transfer to train station - then train (every hr) to Interlaken, change and up the valley to Grindelwald. Easy enough and lovely scenery.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tks guys, ba are quoting £550 for four of us to Zurich and return rail fare looks to be £104 (kids go free!)

No fares available yet for Bern,so just a case of deciding to plump for ba now or wait until later for easyjet /the bern flights to come on line
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
LIAMJ, try Flybe for the flight to Bern or you can book flight only plus coach t/fer via Inghams !!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LIAMJ wrote:
Tks guys, ba are quoting £550 for four of us to Zurich and return rail fare looks to be £104 (kids go free!)

Hi. If you do use the railway for transfer from airport to resort and return, the cheaper option is to get a swiss transfer ticket, which is about £55, kids go free. You need to get this before you leave the country and is valid for 1 month.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Easyjet to Basel is usually a cheap route.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dont forget the train splits in half from interlaken to zweilutchinen, one half goes on to lauterbrunnen, the other to grumbleweed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does Grindelwald get much snow in the resort normally ? (honest question)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yeah it normally lats a while ther because down by grund its fairly shaded. This year was a shambles though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Brookes, Grindelwald is only slightly lower than Wengen and tends to get similar amounts of snow, the valley floor arround Grund is often bitterly cold even when it's plesant higher up, as stab, says this is at least in part due to it being in the shade for much of the day, I suspect that the river plays a part as well though I'm not sure how.

The disadvantage is that the lower slopes often freeze solid meaning that they're not very nice to ski on until the end of the day
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The camping in Grund had snow for ages... white spot in a green valley...

Eigers shadow is pretty powerful there...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab wrote:
lats a while ther

haha, stoned stab? Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
D G Orf wrote:
I suspect that the river plays a part as well though I'm not sure how.

May I offer a theory.....imagine you've drunk many litres of bier at the top of the mountain, then ski down to Grund; there you are standing by the river and the fullness of your bladder combined with the rushing waters and the shade provided by the Eiger makes you feel really cold. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
AdrianV, Except I don't drink bier Laughing I wondered if the river in some way causes cold air to flow along the valley ?
ski holidays
D G Orf, maybe it's just that looking at freezing cold water makes you feel cold? Puzzled
snow report
AdrianV, I don't think so, I wonder actually if the river is actually below freezing, given the amount of minerals in it I would not be surprised, if it is then that might explain the cooling effect
snow report
LIAMJ, We always fly into Zurich and AdrianV, is absolutely right - a transfer ticket is the best value between airport and resort. One other thing, if you fly Swiss you can book your luggage through to you resort station, no need to haul it around on the journey. I think BA also offer that faciliity. Advantage with Swiss is that on your return journey you might be able to check in for your return flight at Grindlewald station. Leaving from Wengen, we take our bags and skis to the station on the night before we leave, and get our boarding card for the flight home. MAGIC!
snow report
Brian T, you have to admire the swiss,they certainly know how to organise transport!
snow report
Quote:

I think BA also offer that faciliity. Advantage with Swiss is that on your return journey you might be able to check in for your return flight at Grindlewald station. Leaving from Wengen, we take our bags and skis to the station on the night before we leave, and get our boarding card for the flight home. MAGIC!

Certainly from Wengen, you can do the same with BA as well as Swiss, would have thought the same would apply in Grindlewald.
snow report
and in Murren !
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy