Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aberdeen's £2 million ski slope re-emerges from supermarket carpark

Poster: A snowHead
Until 1996 the city of Aberdeen had a ski slope. Then an Asda supermarket was built, and the construction of its carpark (built to a gentler gradient, as I understand) caused the ski slope to close. This caused a certain amount of upset from local sliders...

Now, thanks to Asda's compensation, boosted by other finance, the piste will reopen on 2 October. It'll incorporate a Snowflex (continuous carpet) surface and other new facilities.

Here's a news item from Aberdeen City Council.

If any local snowHead would like to ski it, and provide a snow(flex) report, that would be great.

Another slope about to reopen after a re-fit is Kendal in Cumbria, BTW.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 22-09-04 16:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

Hopefully I'll give it a go on the 3rd if I can - might be busy though. Checked it out yesterday from the car park. The old dendex slope looks to be back intact and finished. The new snowflex slope which seems to end in a half pipe or ramp and has lots of interesting terrain - bumps and the like looks about 3/4 finished. Looks like there may be more uplift to go in. Assume it will be finished in time.

Cheers
Dave
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Press release from them on www.theboarder.co.uk about the new slope, opening etc. Looks good!

http://www.theboarder.co.uk/news/article.html?newsid1095776115,71246,
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bracknell has recently lay a new snowflex slope on their beginners slope. It's a bit like skiing on ice except that you bounce if you fall...which is very welcome by snowboarders as they now seem to avoid the main slope. Who's complaining?

I only did a few runs on it though and found it quite strange, not that dendix isn't, but the slope is so slight in bracknell you don't really get any speed at all. You also don't seem to edge very well in it either, which in dendix (to some degree) you do.

Would be interested to hear what others think. It's probably much better for learning though!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If Snowflex reduces the incidence of thumb sprains and fractures - which have always been a significant problem on plastic slopes - that's a powerful argument in its favour.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll let you know what the snowflex is like in October. The two slopes - new snowflex and old dendex - are side by side. The dendex slope is basicallly a single gradient from top to bottom, just laid down over the hillside. The snowflex slope has been sculpted. They took out material from the middle of the slope to make it concave so its steeper at the top. They have added terrain features like bumps and jumps. The slope is to some extent bowl shaped with riased banks at the edges. Its not clear yet ( from looking at the work from the carpark) if these are going to be covered in snowflex. If they are this should be an interesting feature aswell. They have started building a ramp/halfpipe across the bottom aswell. I'll have another look over the weekend and see how the work is getting on.

Cheers
Dave
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Update on the Aberdeen City Council site, Noel Baxter to be at the launch, a superb skier who's close to usurping the throne of big brother Alain as British no1 alpine racer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
biggles76, I believe that the slope at bracknell is not snowflex, but perma snow, which has been developed by one of John Nike's companies mor info on this link http://www.nikegroup.co.uk/2003winterpage1.php I blieve it is different from snowflex in the fact that it has longer bristles than the snow flex matting. Apparently, they are working on a way to use slalom poles on it, which is something not possible with snowflex.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
some photos of the new slope from www.adrenalintrip.net Looks good!

http://www.adrenalintrip.net/forums/viewtopic.php?siteid=1&topicdays=45&mode=viewtopic&topic=64913&forum=1&start=15
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells teeth, that cost £2M to construct Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Plus an all weather sports pitch plus the clubhouse and changing facilities, plus one new tow and a travelator on the beginners slope. Hopefully I'll be able to tell you what its like next week - I'm hoping to try it out on Sunday. I'm keeping well away from that big air jump, but the mogul look fun!

Cheers
Dave
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just popped down there to have a look and sort out having a go. They aren't actually open for business at the weekend its just the grand opening ceremony. On Sunday they are doing the skiing/boarding tests to prove you are competent to be let loose on the slope. Monday is the first actual business day.

Kit wise they only have boards and skis at the moment - no blades. Helmets are supplied and compulsorary. Gloves are also mandatory and not supplied.

Its a bit of a madhouse down there at the moment - they are doing all the last minute bits and pieces (like getiing boots delivered) before tommorrows opening. The slopes and lifts all look complete, but the surroundings are a bit of building site still - not helped by the actual ASDA building site.

What has gone up for the 2million squids is:

One nice new pavillion for the changing rooms, equipment, offices etc.
One nice new large snowflex slope with bumps run, big air jump, couple of rails and smaller terrain jump.
One new fixed grip tow
One nice new snowflex beginners slope behind the pavilion with:
New rope tow
New travelator
One old but refurbished dendex slope
One old but refurbished dismountable poma tow (which looks as good as new)
Two new grass pitches
100mx60m artificial pitch

It looks very nice and I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Cheers
Dave
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tried out the nursery slope on Sunday when i went to do the brief ski test to proof i could ski . Was unable to have a go on the main slope 'cos some scum bag(s) had vandalised the main tow on Saturday night. The snowflex wasn't bad to ski on, a lot softer than dendex and a lot faster, but I didn't find it that easy to do turns on, but dificult to tell on the nursery slope. The misting system is pretty effective - I was soaked upto my knees before I left.

Here are some pictures from Saturday posted by freeskiiing on the Winterhighland sight:
http://forums.winterhighland.com/read.php?f=4&i=5644&t=5566

Cheers
Dave
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Report on the break-in here in the Scotsman.
Quote:

Up to 18 youths broke into Garthdee Sports and Alpine Adventure Park at the weekend and vandalised the controls for the main chairlift, putting the facility temporarily out of action.

Aberdeen City Council is now considering deploying security guards to patrol the centre at night. Extra fencing and a closed-circuit television camera system are also planned.

Quote:

Moira Cassie, a spokeswoman for Garthdee Community Council, said: "It was a silly and senseless prank. Why destroy a facility that has been put in place specifically for the youth of Garthdee and the whole of Aberdeen?"

Higher fences, CCT and security guards may be necessary Confused
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It has a chairlift?
snow report
Typo I think. And OT, while on the topic of typos, it's annoying that posters can't access their own posts in snowNews to correct their own. I'm used to posting then modifying as necessary....
snow conditions
Definitely a typo - the main slope has a new fixed grip button and the old detachable poma tow. I think it was the poma that was vandalised on Saturday night.
snow report
Well at least Aberdeen City Council seem to take an interest in the facility. Our local youth population set fire to the slope at the weekend, burning out a patch about 1.5 m in diameter. We have to remove all of the Poma discs every night and put them back on the next day or they would disappear. The Poma poles themselves are regularly bent around stanchions.

We have to cover all these costs ourselves, although the invaders come from the public park in which we are sited - the thoughtful Council even built a swings and roundabouts play area next to us a few years ago, just to encourage the scumbags to hang around the area - yes, hulking teenage thugs and their molls enjoy wrapping kiddies swings around the supports whilst smoking their drugs and waiting for us to leave at night. Oh, and they throw eggs, sticks and stones at us while we're skiing.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 5-10-04 10:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Well it is Aberdeen! Wink
snow conditions
PG, have i got the wrong end of the stick, but i can edit my posts in this thread Puzzled
latest report
Dan, we all can now - Admin has waved his magic wand. You couldn't before. But only a MOD can start a thread in here or move one over from elsewhere if it's good enough.
snow report
Update on this item from Aberdeen City Council. Seems it's had a very successful first month. 800 participants in a 6 week coaching course can only be good news. Perhaps Hillend will follow their lead and provide moguls, half pipe and rails too. Seems to have worked well up north.
ski holidays
Im going to give this place a whirl on sunday! - If I have to go to Aberdeen I make it bearable!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy