Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big White/Sun Peaks, Canada 10-24 March 07

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well, realised we're nearly coming to the end of our first week here at Big White & hadn't yet done a snow report snowHead . And with free wifi at the hotel (and Mr C brought the laptop rolling eyes ), there's really no excuse Toofy Grin . So here's a bit of a snow/trip report.

Arrived at Big White Sat eve with gentle snow falling Very Happy , woke up Sun morning to the same Very Happy which rapidly turned to rain Sad . And it rained for pretty much most of that day. We also got the infamous Big Whiteout - thick clouds/fog with very limited visibility. We, and everyone else, got pretty drenched, with water inside pockets and seeping through in places. Mr C (lightweight) called it a day at lunchtime Shocked . Me (diehard I shall enjoy my skiing holiday Madeye-Smiley ) stayed out for longer, after having a dry out in front of the fire in our room (how posh is that?? A huuuuge fireplace with a pretendy log gas fire - mmmmmmmm Little Angel ).

Monday - lovely sunny day which was great but the temps were very warm - quite a thaw going on by the afternoon. I had another of those strange experiences where a stranger approaches and says: Hi, you must be cathy Madeye-Smiley . Nice to meet snowHead Riverwhy Very Happy

Having a few private lessons in the afternoons. Really pleased that my instructor was saying similar things as the snoworks course, just different terminology and approach. So good reinforcement.

Tuesday - another nice day, colder but the snow quality had taken a battering. The legendary light 'hero's powder' of Big White was very wet and heavy and frozen solid into rock hard pistes Sad . Still great skiing though & funny to hear people talking about 'icy' conditions - they haven't seen 'icy'!!

Wednesday - snow! Very Happy Very Happy A couple of cms during the night and about 5 cms during the day. Just what was needed although it was tricky slightly off-piste with rock hard bumps & ruts covered with a light covering of snow.

Thursday - a beautiful day and what skiing is all about. Lovely blue skies, no wind and the fresh snow from yesterday on the pistes. Perfect. My lesson was pretty tough but good - blacks, bumps & chopped up off-piste. Plus the boardercross race track! Toofy Grin Mr C was very pleased with himself as he went down the double blacks off the Cliff Skullie

Current snowbase about 234 cms. Forecast a bit more snow tonight/tomorrow which would be good. Then off to Sun Peaks on Saturday Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cathy, sounds really good snowHead Great report
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big White Out - Australia's biggest ski resort wink

Say G'Day to them all from me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Headed that way Mon eve the 19th hitting Apex then headed to Sun Peaks and will decide on BigW or Silver Star after possibly Red Mtn too. Sun Peaks has had the best temps and snow from the snow reports. Skiing on free tickets hence the constant changes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Friday - great day in Big White snowHead . More fresh snow overnight meant excellent snow conditions, though poor visibility meant my lesson was skiing through the trees, off-piste and bumps. But I've definitely improved! Toofy Grin

Good trip over to Sun Peaks yesterday. About 3 1/2 hours transfer - as we were the only ones we were driven in one of those big 4 wheel drive jobbies Very Happy

Temps warmed up yesterday though both in BW and Sun Peaks. Lots of thaw going on yesterday which meant rock hard pistes this morning Skullie Met up with the SCGB rep and had a good day - I was pushed well outside my comfort zone which is very good for wimpy me! Another warm day though meant slushy slopes later on and no doubt they'll be leg-jarring tomorrow wink

Some fresh flurries forecast with temps dropping by Tues so fingers crossed we should have some fresh snow Very Happy

Rob D, how did you find Big White as compared to Sun Peaks?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy wrote:

Rob D, how did you find Big White as compared to Sun Peaks?

I've got to say we were not overly impressed with BW, several reasons :-

6 out of 7 days were WHITEOUT, It was only the last day that we got to see the mountain. Normally this would not be a problem, but we found the signs for the pistes very confusing and poorly laid out. When the sun did come out the skiing was magnificent. I would think the skiing is probably more varied than Sun Peaks, but I have been watching the web cams and BW has been in cloud for MOST of the winter!!!

The ski school was VERY poor. My son had 5 half days booked and had 4 different instructors who all taught different things! When I spoke to the ski school they did not seem interested as they already had our money!

We were very disappointed in the White Crystal Inn, VERY shabby. Listed as ***Plus. I would say ** max. The quality of the cleaning was very poor. House keeping was young Australian boys who did the minimum possible. On the plus side the food in the Hotel Restaurant was VERY GOOD.

The whole resort has a Australian feel to it - probably as there were so many of them there!!! I've got nothing against Australian, but I was looking forward to the Canadian hospitality which we had in SP.

Food wise, we liked the Chinese Laundry. Snowshoe Sam's was average, but the Swiss Bear!!! the food was awful and the most expensive.

So the family D have already booked up for The Delta and SP next year.

I hope you're having a good time in SP
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah, snowed most of the day today - and still snowing now the lifts are closed. Should make for great skiing tomorrow! snowHead snowHead Luckily the temps dropped a bit so the forecast rain didn't appear!

Rob D, sorry you didn't enjoy Big White, sounded like you didn't have a good time there Sad But on balance we prefer Big White to Sun Peaks, with its small village friendly atmosphere Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey cathy, I've just returned to Whistler from a bit of a BC road trip. Hit up Marmot Basin (Jasper), Sunshine & Lake Louise (Banff), Kicking Horse (Golden), White Water (Nelson), Revelstoke, Red Mountain (Rossland), Big White and Silver Star. Really liked both Red Mountain and Silver Star.

Red Mountain had some fabulous terrain and was really well groomed. It seemed much bigger than its acreage suggested. Silver Star has a similar area to Big White but the village is much smaller and the layout of the lifts and the village all seems much more thought out. The Silver Star village is very quaint but also has some lively bars. Also both these reorts were really quiet and had absolutely no queuing which is a real relief after Whistler.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hels_t,
Definitely agree with the Red Mountain report, it is my new favourite mountain snowHead We went there a few weeks ago (25th feb to 4th March) and absolutely loved it - the terrain is awesome (made even better by the great snow conditions), loved the glades, meadows and steep trees, and despite everyone in the area turning up for the big powder days and the slow lifts it really didn't feel like anyone else was there after the first line-up at the bottom.
Going back to Whistler the following week was a real shock to the system - in comparison to Red it's so busy, impersonal, unfriendly (people getting shot etc!! Shocked )
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rob D,

Hi Rob, I have just got back from Big White after visiting some locals, I found out it's actually owned by Australians (So is Silver Star) and heavily marketed to the Ozzie travelling set - hence the Australian vibe to the place.... Also the Swiss Bear has a reputation as being one of the worst places to eat in BC interior!

On the right day (not white-out), it's actually quite a good place to ski/board, especially if you get right to the top of the Falcon Chair etc, through the glades.. I actually thought Sun Peaks was extremely limited - although I agree with the Canadian hospitality part, very friendly! Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow conditions today were a bit of a disappointment. I thought after our 13cms of fresh snow yesterday and continuing cold temps the snow would be in good nick. But it was hard packed and even in the bowl it was crusty and frozen. Not so bad where the pistes have been groomed but IMO they don't prepare their pistes that well in SP - so many of the key runs aren't groomed and are frozen solid into ruts, bumps & chopped up. Very tough going on the legs. Best to stick to the groomers! snowHead

hels_t, that sounds like some trip! snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fantastic day out today! snowHead snowHead

Snowed all day and still snowing now Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I don't know how much has actually fallen, but at a guess about 15-20 cms.

Snow was great today, lovely and light & fluffy, no hard scrapings. Hope tomorrow is the same Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounding good cathy, what are the daytime temperatures like?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, on the whole this week we've had just below 0 C, a few times about -4 and a few times about +4 Sad . Raining at the moment this evening, everything is dripping and forecast high tomorrow of about 7C. Seems like we've had all temps, but nothing really cold.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy