Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avvy gear bargains from Germany

brian
brian
Avvy safety packages from Germany at bargain prices, eg. I got a tracker dts, black diamond metal shovel and dynafit probe for £180 all in. delivered within a week.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
good stuff ... i need to get hold of a set of kit but i have no idea what's what ... can anyone recommend one of these packages ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RichA, I'd go for the top one, but get a spade with an aluminium blade.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Marc t'Mosher, I'm a bit confused. Do you mean the package on the top of the list (BCA Tracker etc. and 259.95 Euro, which is actually a mid-price package) or the top priced package (349.95 Euro, and at the bottom of the list).

Look to be good prices though, given how much S&R or E-B want for just a transceiver alone.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jmdohanlon, sorry, I meant the Tracker.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I assume that was without a rucksack brian?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
kitenski, yes, just the transceiver/shovel/probe.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc wrote:
RichA, I'd go for the top one, but get a spade with an aluminium blade.

What's the advantage of aluminium over the polycarbonate shovels that the all these packages seem to have?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They don't snap when it's cold Cool
snow conditions
 brian
brian
RichA, you can change the probe and shovel in the package by clicking on the "sonde" (probe) and "schaufel" (shovel) drop downs at the bottom of the page, eg. BD Lynx (aluminium) is €4 extra.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RichA, metal cuts through packed snow rather than bouncing off it
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mosha Marc, Neither does Lexan, which is the product that Ortovox shovels are made from. Unless you have experience to the contrary, BTW mine is 17 years old. Arno, The Alloy one I have for clearing snow off my terrace bends and after straightening a few times it breaks at the bend.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can someone tell me exactly which combination of tranceiver + probe + shovel I should buy from this site? As I know nothing about makes of avalanche gear and my german is sh*t. Cheers!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hd,

The bleep is a personal choice and really needs you to comfortable with the use of it.

Look at aother sites for avi packages
The BCA shovel and probe ...where you can store the probe in the shaft has some good advantages. The shovel handle acts as a sheath and might protect a carbon pole from breaking in a fall. I have not tested the durability of these poles, though it might be that carbon is pretty unbreakable in this respect.

You'll need a 20 ltr pack, I'd say, and some have blade pockets on the outside and some have to have it all inside which can make a mess of compartmentising the bag...

The Dakine Heli pro is pretty good and well padded, hydro compatible and has neat holsters for outside kit.

You should be able to google avi packages and see quite a few options. BCA shovels look ok as do Black Diamond. Your pack is going to need to be house about 40cms of collapsable kit as a 2mtr probe might be that as will the shovel handle. Thats why the BCA combo is good. It is compact which means you trade the leverage of the shovel against compactness. Also 2 mtrs probe is good as anything else probably means you will be probing for a body.

It isn't a straight forward buy solution IMV
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy