Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets in Summer?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - anyone been either to LG or the surrounding area in the summer months? We're thinking of a week or maybe 2, with our two boys aged 12 and 7. Puzzled Thanks for any feedback
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi
We usually spend a couple of weeks in the surrounding area during the summer. with our two young children Actually stay in Thollon les Memises, about an hour away.

There is lots to do apart from the obvious walking and biking. There are summer toboggan rides and other devil kart things at Pre La Joux just up the valley from Chatel. There is an outdoor lake area with slides and aerial trekking park in Les Gets. There are lots of sightseeing opportunities in the wider area.

The weather can be very hot and sunny, but go prepared for a bit of rain as well. The thunderstorms in that area are outstanding during the summer.

We really enjoy the Alps during the summer and the ski resorts have, over the last 5 years, made a real effort to attract visitors. Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anniepen, the skiing's a bit limited...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anniepen, I'm sure snowandtrek will turn up at some point with the full list, but until then, here's what I can add to the list above:

Morzine has a good sports centre with a large outdoor pool (50m I think), loads of tennis courts, skateboard park, indoor climbing and horse riding (and other stuff).

There are rafting / canyoning in a number of places in and around the area.

Swimming in / kayaking on Montriond lake.

Bungee jumping.

The Fantasticable - a humungous flying fox above Plaine Dranse. Big. Really, really big.

Parapenting.

Toboggan (in Morzine).

Walking.

Via Ferrata in Avoriaz.

Visits to the slate mine in Morzine.

Les Gets and Avoriaz have golf courses.

Day trips to Chamonix, Evian, Thonon (where there is a beach), Lake Geneva itself for trips into Switzerland, Yvoire (a beautiful old town on the shores of Lake Geneva), Annecy - all within an hour.

The visit to CERN is also highly recommended, but must be booked well, well in advance (see their web site).

There don't appear to be many bored kids around Morzine / Les Gets for some reason!

As ibexman says, when it rains here it rains - which is, perhaps, the only downside.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anniepen, I've only been there a couple of times in Summer: I'm afraid I was a little disappointed . Not by the amenities but by the behaviour of the 'Mountain Biking' clientele who are drawn there.

I'm sure it can't be all MTB-ers - and maybe we were unlucky when we went but they do seem to have a poor reputation locally.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agenterre wrote:
Anniepen, I've only been there a couple of times in Summer: I'm afraid I was a little disappointed . Not by the amenities but by the behaviour of the 'Mountain Biking' clientele who are drawn there.

Fair comment Agenterre. Personally, I think Morzine has the edge in the summer because the bikers don't take over in the same way. But I would say that.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had a summer holiday in Les Gets two years ago and had a good time (did rain some of the time though). Stayed in one of the self catering appartments linked to the Labrador hotel (much cheaper than in winter season) which also has a pool if needed. It was a bit weird walking on the ski slopes and watching the cows wander around the bottom of ski lifts!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Plenty more to add to the list here: http://www.leman-sans-frontiere.com/anglais/accueil/index.php
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les Gets and surrounding area is gorgeous in the summer. The best part about it - no crowds and more space than you could shake a stick at, go forth and adventure Very Happy Got to have me a go at the parapente this year!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
chrisb wrote:
It was a bit weird walking on the ski slopes and watching the cows wander around the bottom of ski lifts!

Where do you think moguls come from? wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PhillipStanton, And how many front teeth does a Chamois have? (genuine ESF exam question, honest).

AnniePen, if you're not already aware, the whole alpine area is possibly more beautiful in summer than winter. If you can, although it's not such an issue, avoid peak weeks. They're not however as busy in summer as winter. As long as you are content with the idea that the weather might not be perfect...(but hey, where is it perfect without being boring?)
Plenty to do, (take a car though or hire) - for example you really shouldn't miss the fantasticable http://www.fantasticable.com/ amongst other fine summer ideas. Ooops sorry, PhilipS has already mentioned that one.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch wrote:
PhillipStanton, And how many front teeth does a Chamois have?

Err, best guess at eight. Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks guys! I do know the area pretty well from a skiing perspective, but this will be a different holiday from what we usually do (rent a villa in Spain and sit by the pool for a week wink ) - I'm sure it will be beautiful but just checking out if the boys will have enough to keep them occupied - seems that's been answered! Very Happy Ta muchly!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy