Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot question - length vs width and height

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm been a wondering overnight after this talk about boot fitting.......
We all know shell shapes differ and that as a shell length increases in a certain boot then shell width increases also. Now what I'm wondering is this. If a boot fits excellently tight and snug without overcranking the catches in one size (28 for arguments sake) in respect of ankle, heel and forefoot dimensions - but is perhaps a few mm longer (i.e. just under 2 fingers down the back of shell as opposed to one finger), what are the implications from the performance point of view? Toes still touch the end of the boot and can still feel the toebox when ankle flexed, there is no room for lateral movement within the boot, even with liner out there is no much spare space across the width.

Now, if the boot is selected for shorter length, with less than one finger down the back, and it's now possibly too tight in terms of forefoot hold (i.e. it still feels tight with catches undone, first position on second catch requires quite a lot of pressure to close, but catches can be tightened up by shifting up a position sequentially until the foot disintegrates at position 3!).....toes are pushed quite firmly against the end when upright and still touch the toebox a fair bit when flexed, what advantage does this offer? The forefoot fit is no longer tight, it is very tight.

Most of the turning when carving requires very strong lateral hold to enable instantaneous tilting of the skis, and also good fore/aft hold to enable good transmission of pressure to the front of the ski. In both boots, when flexed, the toes are just away from the front, and pressure is transmitted through the boot from the cuff, through front of boot to front binding. Is this pressure significantly greater with the boot fitting tighter? Is it so different that it would make a difference?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
petemillis, You have two fingers of space in your shell check, then when in the boot complete, flexing, you still touch lightly, is this true?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Two fingers of space in shell check. Then refit liner, do up first and second catches gently, do up cuff catches. Standing straight, toes quite firm on end of liner but can move them up and down a bit, then flex ankles, bit more toe space but can still feel the liner with the ends of my toes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, if you happen to be passing Brighton at any time let me know - I'll buy you a pint!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
petemillis, So is the liner to short for the shell? Or are you touching the front of the shell? It sounds to me like your suggesting the liner is a thick as two fingers! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
petemillis, So is the liner to short for the shell? Or are you touching the front of the shell? It sounds to me like you're suggesting the liner is a thick as two fingers! Toofy Grin

just done this again - standing up straight I can feel front of shell through the liner, relaxing slightly flexed I can feel just the liner a bit, flexing hard forward to push knee past toe I can't feel anything. Heel compartment feels nice and snug.
The liner ain't fick - it's probably me wots fick!
I'm just about to pop into Snot & Rag to try a 27-27.5 shell if they've got the same boot, and if this fits tight but not too tight then I'll be buying another pair and flogging the first pair for what they cost me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
petemillis, Shell check the 27.5 you should be able to see about 6-8mm of the cork base board.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy