Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

torn/strained calf muscle

Poster: A snowHead
Hi to all.
Damaged calf muscle on day 5 (at least it wasnt day 1!) of half term ski trip to Zermatt. Typical story - I survived the fast days and off piste day with guide and did it on a blue when not paying attention...bahhh
Hope to go away again some time over easter. Any tips on exercises to strengthen the muscle?
I'm past the ice pack and multi coloured stage. Have been raising my foot to stretch it. It still feels tight at the mo though and and a bit strange when I walk.
Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jayne durham, Binding setting too high?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd go for gentle exercise (walking as good as any), preceded and followed by stretches.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jayne durham, Have you passed the RICE stage now? When I damaged my calf running I started with the Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation routine for a week or so. Then once the calf felt more comfortable I did some walking then built up slowly to running again. You will know if you are doing something that is not right - that is the time to stop and rest again.

Take it easy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some sports massage might help, now you're past the acute phase.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
    Pain killers
    Stretches
    Graduated exercise

will work in most people.

Physio is likely to improve rate (and possibly degree) of recovery, but as long as you're not talking complete rupture of the muscle, probably not necessary*

* I am not a physio.

ps - my hobby horse: If you go to some unregulated 'therapist' ensure they have a decent amount of professional liability.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jayne durham, did you manage to avoid the trees this time? Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone. Dont think so smallzookeeper - its the first time I've fallen hard without them releasing.... I'm 8 stone and I think they are set on 5 - think I was just unlucky this time.

Cheeky Rob!!!... not a tree in sight!. We were heading for Cervinia and it was a long and painful way home! Why does it always happen to me eh... I'd hired some wide skis to go off piste the day before and I think I just forgot my skis have more edge - and caught an edge on the first run of the day. Typically I had spent the gondola ride reminding Steve he had different skis on etc etc .... I am great at pointing out the safety tips to everyone else - and then I forget!

I did all the RICE bit... I am mobile and walking nearly normally now... I just know it is still not feeling 100% and am looking to strengthen. Will do some walking on our jogger as that seems to be everyone's advice. Just wasnt sure if there were some strength exercises (gentle) I could do. Have managed this far without physio so hope I can keep getting better on my own.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jayne durham wrote:
Cheeky Rob!!!... not a tree in sight!.

Wink

Hope it gets better soon, I still have a painful neck from a pulled muscle last weekend and it's unnecessarily painful.

BTW, was driving through BSM last week and your place seems to be going up very quickly Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Our host in France did same when my daughter mowed her down 3 weeks ago. After some physio, few days off skiing, she is back skiing again. Physio recommended ultrasound treatment to speed up the healing process (I don't know much about this though).
Binding setting of 5 for an 8 stone person seems high - I'm 12.5 stone 5ft10.5 and use between 6 and 7.
SZK what do you reckon?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
petemillis, mine are set on 5 and I'm 5'6" and 62 kg (9st10lb).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
petemillis, ultrasound sounds a good recommendation , it does speed up healing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jayne durham, I did this in Verbier in January (on my first day) and you have my sympathy. I think my bindings were at too high a setting because I had a pretty low speed fall and my ski didn't release. I subsequently aggravated the injury on the last run with a fall that at the time I thought had not injured my calf but I did feel a blow on the outside of my right ski. My leg then swelled massively and I worried about everything from DVT to compartment syndrome over the next few days. In the last 3 or 4 days it is starting to feel normal again. I went to A/E when I got home but other than that haven't seen anybody about it. I would be careful regarding exercise and would have thought that things like swimming, cycling and maybe the rowing erg would be better than a treadmill. I had a setback running in from the pouring rain Embarassed . I hope it continues to improve because it is a very miserable injury.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ianmacd wrote:
jayne durham, I did this in Verbier in January (on my first day) and you have my sympathy. I think my bindings were at too high a setting because I had a pretty low speed fall and my ski didn't release.

You are actually in much more danger of an injury due to binding non-release in a low speed fall than high speed fall.

Your legs can take a high presure for a very short time, but often can't take a lower pressure for longer. So a pressure nearly but not quite enough to release, applied for a significant fraction of a second will cause damage, while one at twice the release pressure for a very tiny fraction of a second won't.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If I were you Jayne I'd go and see a sports physio for a couple of sessions. I've had this type of injury before and the healing process was speeded up with a combination of ultrasound, massage, some very gentle exercises and stretching as well as using ice. Mainly I was doing calf raises but they may also recommend that you get one of those round inflatable cushion things that you wobble about on. Very good exercise for calf muscles!
ski holidays
The brilliant thing about sports physios is that they understand the desperate need for you to carry on doing whatever sport it is you do, so will be keen to get you fully functioning again as quickly as possible.
snow conditions
clara_jo, exactly. My dad-in-law was a sports physio until he retired.
ski holidays
alex_heney, I am now all too aware of this and will try and fall at higher speeds in the future. Laughing
snow conditions
jayne durham, The most important thing (IMHO) that only laundryman has mentioned is the stretching. When recovering from a tear, your muscle uses a tissue caleed collagen, and this tends to be made to the length required and rather inelastic. So to make long enough collagen fibres you need to stretch them out as they are being made.
As laundryman says, warm up by e.g. walking/cycling then stand facing a wall at arms length. Keep your heels on the floor and lean gently into the wall (a bit like doing a press-up against the wall). Hold for 30-60secs. It it's too easy, move your feet further away from the wall.
Definitely do this if you have been exercising but you can also do it several time during the day, but not as hard if you are not warmed up.
snow report
Nick L, Actually, I mentioned stretching too
snow conditions
Another good stretch is to put your toes on a thick hardback book (or similar) with your heels on the floor. And of course, my other recommendation for stretching, (as ever Wink) is to go find a Pilates instructor.
snow report
Sorry geetee.
ski holidays
Thanks all. NIck I am sure I do need to stretch. The main problem I am having at the mo is that the muscle tightens up so will work on that.
Trouble with seeing a physio - or joining an exercise class - is that I have just started a new job so time is an issue and to be honest for private money is a bit of an issue - so I am trying just to get on with it my self.... but maybe I need to reconsider.

Sorry to hear about the neck Rob - hope it clears up really soon and doesnt hamper the skiing planned!!. Of course if I was being as horrid as you I would make some joke about being too preocuppied looking around for trees... but of course I wouldnt make that sort of cheap jibe - I am just very very sympathetic Smile Glad to hear our place is going up fast.. cant wait to join the Bourg/Les Arcs crew.
ski holidays
Nick L wrote:
jayne durham, The most important thing (IMHO) that only laundryman has mentioned is the stretching. When recovering from a tear, your muscle uses a tissue caleed collagen, and this tends to be made to the length required and rather inelastic. So to make long enough collagen fibres you need to stretch them out as they are being made.

Not as simple as that. Or rather, much more complicated.

Jayne, If you haven't ruptured the muscle, just keep stretching it. And take most things on the internet with a handful of salt.

Why not go and see your GP, get a physio referral?
snow conditions
doctor_eeyore, I know
snow report
Hiya Jayne.
You already seem to be doing the right thing with your calf, take big notice of Nick and Laundryman.
Unfortunately 4 years ago I was on a very simple red run and noticed some kind of chocolate bar wrapper on the slope, had nearly come to a halt to pick the damn thing up and just fell over. Unfortunately I had ruptured the muscle and ended up being bagged down the mountain and air lifted over the next one.
Attended the physio in La Plagne and they were great, the only thing was they gave my husband some injections of warfarin and told him that either he are myself would have to administer them into my stomach,this was never an option for us as both of us are major cowards in that way.............................
very very fortunate we had a nurse in our chalet and she was able to do this for me.
When I got home all the advice that has been given on this site was applicable but even now the calf muscle gets very tight and I still have to do the exercises, the good side to this is I still go skiing even though the accident has turned me into a bit of a wimp.
Take care and hope it turns out ok. Very Happy
ski holidays
Lynne that sounds ghastly - glad you are still skiing!! Mine cant have been anything like that severe!
Have listened gratefully to all the advice. Might try physio because although I can walk - I'm not walking "properly" - Something just feels strange and I kinda keep feeling it will give way or really pull again. I just dont know how on earth I can find time at the mo... but think I might have to if I am to stand any chance of skiing in April

Thanks to all for their best wishes Smile
snow report
jayne durham,

hey, i recently suffered a torn hamstring muscle and still recovering. i went to see a physio, and she gave me some stretches to do about 5 times a day. she also said that i should keep active and dont JUST rest it. so i can jog when i feel my body can cope. this stops the muscle fibres 'setting' in the wrong way and makes sure that you get back to your previous fitness. so yeah ive been told to refrain from full intensity sport for 3 weeks, only one more to go!

hope this helped
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jayne Durham,
Endorse most of the above advice. Stretching properly essential and physio important to get you back walking properly, not just skiing ! it helps stop the build up of fibrous tissue. Be warned though it can be very painful-although pain and expense is well worth it to get back to skiing earlier. I tore my calf muscle badly last year and it took at least 6 weeks to recover. Second more minor tear this year, four skiing weeks later, but still took a few weeks to get back to normal- ie regular running.
I would try and avoid skiing on it before it is fully recovered- probably until you can impact/jog comfortably on it. Otherwise you would find steep turns, off piste and jumps very painful plus risk further injury.
Good luck
snow report
davidcbrown, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
Digging up an old thread but did exactly the same about 10 days ago, in my case the binding did release but not quite quick enough it would seem. Been doing the RICE routine so far but still v sore and I can't really put any weight on it. The doc told me today to keep that up and he has referred me to the physio but also that I wouldn't be skiing for 6 to 8 weeks Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
davkt, I suffered a fairly severe (grade II to III) tear of my left gastrocnemius nearly 10 years ago, which was my first and last skiing injury. I remember it being a quite sudden and very definite transition (i.e. 1 or 2 days) from being unable to weight the leg to feeling pretty much normal.

I'd torn it as I was hockey-stopping to a rest and just kind of over-extended my left leg straight out as I accidentally sat on my bottom. The sensation was weird, like the last stretch of a brand new elastic band, when it suddenly gives that extra bit. I could very definitely feel the muscle fibres stretching and breaking. The net effect at the time was that I was unable to do any real exercise other than a slow hobbled walk until the pain went away which took about a month IIRC. Whilst I was most concerned about losing fitness towards a 1/2 marathon run I'd set a goal for, my GP was more concerned about the release of a blood clot from my hugely swollen ankle and lower calf which had filled up with green, black and red ectoplasmic goo and God knows what else. Skullie

It mended fine in the end & I was back to running less than 8 weeks afterwards & apart from just one recurrence about a year later brought about by exercise induced cramp, I've never felt its legacy since.
snow report
moffatross, Thanks, its a grade II of my left gastrocnemius as well. Sounds exactly like the feeling I had, most definite tearing feeling and I'll never be quite sure if the silly little fall caused the injury or the other way round. The doc in L2A put me straight on anti clotting meds, anti inflams and a few other things. At least my doc is a skier so quite understanding!
snow report
It's worth putting a small wedge under your heel into your shoe at present and ski boot whilst skiing. A physio will give you one. I had exactly this same injury a week before going skiing and putting that in together with intense physio got me through.
snow report
Quote:

Binding setting of 5 for an 8 stone person seems high

I only have mine on 3 and I'm about 9st but when I was 8st I had them on 3 as well! I prefer a light setting to be on the safe side (better a lost ski than a broken leg) and anyway they don't come off unless I fall (I generally find they get tested once a holiday). Jayne, I would turn them down a bit. Your calf will get better. Don't rush it. Stretching is vital. Stand on the stairs with your heels over the edge and use your body weight to stretch.
PS Sports Physio round here is about £45 a session. Ultrasound is magic. Well worth it, if you can manage it.
latest report
snowyowl wrote:
Quote:

Binding setting of 5 for an 8 stone person seems high

I only have mine on 3 and I'm about 9st but when I was 8st I had them on 3 as well! I prefer a light setting to be on the safe side (better a lost ski than a broken leg) and anyway they don't come off unless I fall (I generally find they get tested once a holiday). Jayne, I would turn them down a bit. Your calf will get better. Don't rush it. Stretching is vital. Stand on the stairs with your heels over the edge and use your body weight to stretch.
PS Sports Physio round here is about £45 a session. Ultrasound is magic. Well worth it, if you can manage it.

Personally, I'd caution against both stretching and using super-low DIN release values.

I think that fit and experienced skiers are very unlikely (even in deep crud or wet powder) to have the same kind of slow falls they had in their first one or two weeks skiing that would theoretically merit the low release settings which this thread (and ACL threads) demonstrate don't actually protect against said injuries anyway. I'm 10.5 st and mine were set on a DIN 3.5 when my gastrocnemius injury occurred and they're now set on an 8 because (IMO) contrary to the 'better a lost ski than a broken leg', eventually it's 'better a broken leg than a broken neck'.

Regards stretching, everybody differs in their reaction to it so saying 'stretching is vital' is not necessarily good advice (IMO). Even some athletically trained bodies don't like stretching and deliberately stretching a large muscle recovering from a severe trauma could possibly cause it more severe harm. My own recovery from a II/III tear didn't involve stretching, but just letting nature take its course.

And as for 'Jayne' ... well I do hope her calf has recovered by now ... it was over 5 years ago after all. Laughing
snow report
Quote:

Stand on the stairs with your heels over the edge and use your body weight to stretch.

That is just how I made mine worse coming into arrivals at Birmingham airport! Still at hobbling very slowly round the house with a walking stick stage but will certainly be talking to the physio about stretching as it is feeling very tight at the moment.
snow conditions
davkt, I tore my calf muscle quite badly in St Anton back in Jan - almost certainly a Grade 2 tear. It took 6 weeks to fully heal (just in time for my next trip!), but I found swimming was OK after 3 weeks. I could feel I'd done exercise but it wasn't painful.

It's absolutely fine now, no lasting effects thankfully. VERY painful at the time though and was hobbling for a long time.

Wasn't even skiing when I did it, I jumped off a wall when I was p*ssed and landed awkwardly! On the 3rd evening too Sad
ski holidays
Yep, Piccadilly, 6 to 8 weeks is what everyone seems to be saying. Just a matter of sitting it out and not doing anything daft to make it worse. Made it to the post box about 50yds away today with the help of a walking stick and the round trip did take about 15 min!
snow report
This is what you need - works brilliantly and not just on calves - I've had one for years.

https://www.thestick.com
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy