Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Forecast for La Rosiere 16-20 March

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to La Ros next weekend so I'm in weather-geek mode at the mo. Current GFS charts suggest a heatwave this coming week Sad but then a possible return to proper wintry weather from around the 18th onwards... snowHead

What's the current probability of this happening? (I'm guessing very low at the mo?)

If this week's high temps turn the slopes into a slush-ice-fest then would any mega-dump come with an extremely high avalanche risk?

Is La Ros any good in a white-out? (any trees?)
Or should we head elsewhere? St Foy seems like an obvious alternative venue, but how good are the roads from LR to SF? How much snow does it take to close them?

And did it snow last night in that part of the world? How much?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 11-03-07 12:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hd, yes, we had about 10cms of fresh, most of the skiing in La Rosiere is above the tree-line, so if conditions are bad Fontaine Froide and Ecudets are the best pistes, I wouldn't be too pessimistic though I've only ever experienced a few complete white-outs in many years skiing here. The resort is pretty much avalanche free, the most likely avalaanches locations are well off-piste, the avalanche rating is currently at level 3. Ste Foy is not a good alternative, most of the skiing there is above the tree-line and it's best just after a fresh snowfall. We had a couple of saisonnaires from Ste Foy here this week and they couldn't believe how much snow there is in La Ros and La Thuile. It's only 20mins away by the 'petite route' but I will not use that route if it's just been snowing and my wife will not go that way at all, going via Seez adds about 25 mins but it's the safest route. It's not the amount of snow that causes the road to be closed, because La Ros is on a Route National, the regional government has responsibility to keep the road clear, the petite route is the responsibility of the commune so it's cleared as and when, the commune hardly bothers to clear the roads in the village, assuming that everyone will have snow-tyres, that usually catches the Parisians out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hd,

The photo above, click to enlarge, was taken on Ecudets when the conditions higher up at La Ros were 'white out' It was fantastic to say the very least snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow! snowHead
Are there any off-piste possibilities betwix the trees there, or is it pisted fun only?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hd, There are some opportunities, but beware. Have a look at this post and then scroll down to the paragraph highlighting Fontaine Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hd, as an aside, I would hight tail it to Italy on the first 2 days. Enjoy the col if it is open at the start of your holiday, as it may not well be at some time. Do a search (middle of the mountain picture top of this page) foor "thuile" and loads of stuff to do over there will come up. If it is warm then south facing La Thuile usually has the best snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
EDIT: pics deleted to remove sideways scrolling on this page.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 11-03-07 12:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hd wrote:
Wow! snowHead
Are there any off-piste possibilities betwix the trees there, or is it pisted fun only?

For 2 days most of the higher rated black and red runs were off piste - it was a huge dump and on the day we arrived, usually its dumps the day we leave a ski holiday. Strangely though the Italian side did not get anything like snow we had on the French side - although I hear this is quite common for the area.

BTW. has anybody mentioned the Rascard to you yet?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Heatwave?, don't say that. I was just starting to feel a lot more comfortable after watching the constant snowfall over the last week (and a bit) that it would last the 4 more weeks we have to wait. Now you've unsettled me again.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
unbelievable warm her in Nice today, must have been 20+. Really felt like the start of the summer. I hope it stays cold in the Alps for a few more weeks, so I can get a weekend in La Thuile...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hd, Current conditions:
http://mysnowsports.com/webcams/ros700.jpg Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can I just ask what affects the link over to Italy?, is it wind, poor snow or heavy snow?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Holiday weather forecast update (if anybody cares... rolling eyes )

For Saturday and most of Sunday, sunshine and showers, falling as rain below 2000m... Sad

Then Sunday night:

Monday+Tuesday = POWDER DAYS snowHead snowHead snowHead

All subject to change of course at this ridiculously early stage in forecasting terms. Especially now that I've jinxed it with geeky over-excited speculation... Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hd, just got the updated forecast from the Tourist Office, looks as if it's going to be fine all week, not too warm and with a bit of windchill, chance of some more snow on Weds. Today it was very windy on the Col and in Italy so the best skiing was lower down around the Les Echerts sector.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
High pressure dominating this week so sunny days and high temps all week, some clouds tumbling over from Italy today and as Davis says a little windy up top snowHead
ski holidays
The big dump is still on for the weekend on today's GFS charts - in fact even more snow now seems to be forecast... snowHead
ski holidays
Tuesday evening update:

Now not looking quite as good. Snow not forecast to come through until late Monday and all day Tuesday, so maybe too little too late to make a difference to conditions for us before we leave. Still far too early to be sure though.

Before then mega-scorchio so looking forward to some sunbathing and chilled-out riding! We're thinking maybe we should go as high as possible for our first day (Saturday) so we're considering Tignes and staying in the Chalet Chardons on Friday night (if they have space). Does that sound like a good plan?
snow report
hd, Just had one of the best days skiing ever here, sun has shone all day, good spring conditins, a little icy early AM then conditions becoming better as the sun shines and the snow softens, La Thuile was superb and didn't get back until 5PM , snow was a tad soft by then but nothing to worry about still plenty of snow and more forecast for the weekend.
snow report
Looking at some of the other forecast models, both the MetO and ECMWF are slightly more optimistic, showing the high pressure system breaking down on Sunday not Monday. So fingers still crossed for 2 pow days not just 1.

David@traxvax, where did I say I was worried about the conditions? I'm really looking forward to some sun-bathed spring skiing in good company but (as with any trip) I'm also on the lookout for as many fresh pow days as possible. We would indeed be skiing LR/LT on Saturday if there were any hotels with rooms free in LR on Friday night. But there ain't so we're having to look elsewhere, and therefore we might as well go as high as we can for Saturday to ensure the best possible conditions. snowHead

Cheers for the conditions updates keep 'em coming (but on the correct thread to keep the mods happy...? wink )
snow report
Does anyone know the lat and longitude of La Ros so I can plug it into the GFS runs please?
snow conditions
Google is your friend...

latitude longitude la rosiere is ever so helpful... snowHead
ski holidays
yeh problem is (if i understand correctly) that GFS uses whole numbers, so if I round incorrectly I could be looking at the wrong valley!

I've gone with this....Lat 48 long 6, google shows LA ROSIERE : longitude : 6°37', latitude : 47°54'

snow conditions
Is it just me or do all these GFS graphs look exactly the same Puzzled
They always start off higher than normal temp but by the right hand edge they've all randomly wandered to slightly colder than average.
The snowfall part always shows nothing at the moment but increasing amounts as the days roll along.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, it's that people only post them when they're like that - too depressing if it was the other way round snowHead
snow report
here's an old two I saved..

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy