Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mogul Skiing Forum

Poster: A snowHead
Just wanted to clue everyone in on the new dedicated mogul skiing forum I've just finished. Head to http://forums.mogulskiing.net for discussion of all things mogul-related.

I haven't posted here before, but I'm a regular on the skiMRV Sugarbush board, and I'm a hardcore lurker!

Anyways... feel free to check it out, register, and join in on the mogul skiing fun Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BushMogulMaster, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Sounds like you're going for a niche market there...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BushMogulMaster, any links from there to knee replacement sites? Cool
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If I were cynical (wot me?) I'd say it was a site pimping a book (as the only meaningful active thread is about that) and that therefore BushMogulMaster is a commercial spammer on a first post. Razz
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, I thought someone might get the hump wink with that post
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bump wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FenlandSkier, rofl
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No, no... I just told Dan I'd love to support his book. He's offered some info and help for the site too (as I develop the website mogulskiing.net with info and tips), so I'm promoting his book in return. Not to mention that it actually is a great book with lots of valuable info.

Oh, and by the way... since the forum is brand new, how could there be any other posts than the ones I started? That's where you all come in!

"Sounds like you're going for a niche market there... "

Yep!

I'm just obsessed with mogul skiing, and have noticed a lack of real, credible info online, so decided to throw a page together. Then, as I noticed discussion of mogul skiing increasing on various forums, I decided it might be worthy of its own forum.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BushMogulMaster,

So post a few FREE tips/ideas on the forum so people can try them out without buying the book Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
C'mon, it's a forum. The website will be full of technical info and tips. I'll seed discussions, but it's up to the registered members to discuss it. I'll provide answers and feedback (assuming that I have them, Laughing ).

If you register and ask a question, then you'll get an answer!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BushMogulMaster, Niche isn't the word . . . most borders would rather have root canal work done via their rectum that slide a mogul field Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, yet another proof that skiing is superior?

BushMogulMaster, OK, looked horribly liek a commercial attempt to me, but as I lurve bumps I am certainly (if personally) going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Free tips would be most appreciated however!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque, Its not just boarders Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, It's crappy skiing that makes moguls. If you plankers didn't make such a mess of decent powder we'd all have more fun Confused
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Moguls and fun are not words that I would readily associate. But it's going to rain in Sugarbush tomorrow so that'll sort them out.
ski holidays
What's with all the mogul hatin'? Bumps are fun! Very Happy
snow conditions
Its all snow and you have to cope with them and a few jumps off them can get the blood and legs going....besides, what are you going to do.. avoid them..???
latest report
Masque, ahhh, incorrect. IMV, there are more crappy boarders trashing good terrain than skiers. Sorry. But true. <Ducks>
latest report
JT, I've been known to map my way round an entire resort avoiding mogul fields (spotting them from lifts and on the say-so of friends)!!

However, those days are behind me. I'm feeling the fear and doing it anyway Wink Managed not to go AOT on several bumpy runs in Laax last weekend.
ski holidays
clara_jo,

You have more balls than some men.... Laughing
latest report
I don't hate moguls, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they don't like me. Give me a run that's half moguls, half groomed and I'll give them a go. It's nice to have the escape route. And I've done Outer Limits and Northern Star, in Killington, a couple of times this season!
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
David Murdoch, It's crappy skiing that makes moguls. If you plankers didn't make such a mess of decent powder we'd all have more fun Confused

Right, there wouldn't be anyting soft to form moguls once the boarders pushed all the snow to the side and off the piste. You like ice, Masque?
snow report
Masque, Before my last trip I'd have agreed with you but once figured out moguls are brilliant fun on a board.
snow report
Spindrift wrote:
Moguls and fun are not words that I would readily associate. But it's going to rain in Sugarbush tomorrow so that'll sort them out.

Actually, the bumps are still awesome at the Bush, even after the rain!

Sounds like a lot of people are intimidated by bumps. If you take your time and learn to ski them, it's fun. Sure, it's not everyone's cup of tea... but to me, fun and cruisers are two words that I never associate. If it doesn't have moguls, I definitely avoid it!

Anyways... the new mogul forum could be the perfect place for the mogul-fearers and bump haters to gain an appreciation for it, and maybe pick up a tip or two.
snow report
I loved moguls even when doing them mostly on my back or like a 'slinky' going down the stairs Madeye-Smiley
Just starting to remain more upright a little so glad to see some discussion on the lumpy things.
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
I loved moguls even when doing them mostly on my back or like a 'slinky' going down the stairs Madeye-Smiley
Just starting to remain more upright a little so glad to see some discussion on the lumpy things.

Someone's gotta talk about them!
ski holidays
Out of boredom at Winter Park in January this year, I had a few mogul lessons. What fun! It was great to learn there because there were blue runs with moguls. I then attempted some bumps over on Mary Jane. I skied down a black mogul run called 'Trestle'... I was then quite happy to go back to the groomed runs!
Technique wise, we were taught to turn on the peak of the bump, then slide down the side. This is a really easy method to pick up.
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:

Over at the epicski.com, there's loads of talk on moguls, from beginer asking simple question to experts asking the finer points.

Check it out.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice book, I've an autographed copy from the Epic auctions.

stewart woodward wrote:
BushMogulMaster,

So post a few FREE tips/ideas on the forum so people can try them out without buying the book Toofy Grin

-lose weight Toofy Grin
-hop irregular troughs
snow report
This is my guide to doing them on a board. Appologies fr spelling I've been in the pub since 4 and have a fancy dress thing to go to in a bit.

Don't go over the moguls, that's what skiers do and you'll only take the tops off.

Don't think about nice carved turns, it's time to flick the back foot round and keep them tight and violent, throwing snow up is a good thing here (it also makes the bumps bigger for anyone else)

Stick to the troughs, each mogul you pass is a chance to turn so throw the board around it and enjoy the feeling you can get really low down but use the slide to take excess speed off.

If they're icy leave them alone till the sun gets there and they soften a bit.

Violence is key you really are trying to dig up the snow.

Masque will now be along to tell me I'm completely wrong but this way works for me and it's really fun.
snow report
Can we all please ditch the dull skiers vs boarders thing please - it's just soooo 10 years ago. rolling eyes

Personally I like bumps on skis, and I can envisage them becoming fun on the board as well. So there.
snow conditions
BushMogulMaster, love them. love them.
ski holidays
Swirly, Skiers don't go over the tops...

Lizzard, just cos it was fun 10 years ago doesn't mean it isn't fun now!
ski holidays
Swirly, No complaints here, I've yet to get any sort of technique or rhythm going to slide a mogul field (tell a lie . . . I did it once about 5 years ago by accident and have never been able to replicate it).

I have the deepest respect for those borders that can ride bumps and it's something I WILL get my head (and legs) around . . . my point is that crappy skiing makes the bloody things in the first place. wink Bumps are a result of ski technique having to cope with unsuitable equipment for the conditions . . . thanks to boarding, technology has moved on . . . so why hasn't skiing embraced their new tools to slide the hill without creating the dam things?
snow report
Masque wrote:
Swirly, No complaints here, I've yet to get any sort of technique or rhythm going to slide a mogul field (tell a lie . . . I did it once about 5 years ago by accident and have never been able to replicate it).

I have the deepest respect for those borders that can ride bumps and it's something I WILL get my head (and legs) around . . . my point is that crappy skiing makes the bloody things in the first place. wink Bumps are a result of ski technique having to cope with unsuitable equipment for the conditions . . . thanks to boarding, technology has moved on . . . so why hasn't skiing embraced their new tools to slide the hill without creating the dam things?

Um, then how do you categorize brand new pro comp mogul skis? That's what I ski on, so I'm up to date with new tools, and I do nothing but make bumps and ski bumps. It's not inferior skiing, it different skiing (and quite a bit more fun IMNATHO).
ski holidays
Masque, in-corr-ect. On all points.

Also they(bumps)'re helluva good fun.

I am going to have to start a campaign for real bumps. I shall endeavour to enlist Jordan as my patron. I'm sure she'll be delighted.
snow report
Quote:

so why hasn't skiing embraced their new tools to slide the hill without creating the dam things?

Masque, you mean "sweep" the hill, right? Boarders excel on getting rid of all the loose snow from the piste. So there's no mogul, no powder, just ice hard as glass that you can side slip the board from top to bottom!
snow conditions
would be nice if you could start the day with moguls and bumps when your fresh and as the day progressed it all gradually turned into courdroy for when your knackered
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
If I were cynical (wot me?) I'd say it was a site pimping a book (as the only meaningful active thread is about that) and that therefore BushMogulMaster is a commercial spammer on a first post. Razz

Rather ironically I'd ordered a copy of Dan Dipiro's book from Amazon a couple of weeks ago and it arrived with me today.

At first look it looks to be a very useful book - a completely different angle on bumps than I've certainly been taught. I'll be giving it a go next week and will report back.
ski holidays
I used to like bumps when I had a back! Now I only descend them very gently and show others how to do it equally gently. Shock Shock Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy