Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tecnica Diablo Magma HiPerFit boots - arrived

Poster: A snowHead
Well, the boots arrived today from Ski-Bilek. Worked out £176 all-in. And they're spot on. I'm a UK size 10 which is between 28.5 and 29 mondopoint. I ordered 28.5 boots which are marked as UK size 9.5, but then read on Epic that they size up big so I started to panic before they arrived.

Well, without the liner, I can fit just under 2 fingers down the back of the boot with toes touching the front which seems pretty much spot on for me. My 27.5 Salomon XWave 9s barely enable me to fit one finger down the back and never ceased to squash my toes - I can't for the life of me work out why I ended up with the X-Wave 9s in such a small size.

I think some of the "sizing up big" of the Diablo Magma might be a result of the good amount of space available in the forefoot area. I've got fairly wide feet and this suits me well. For someone with narrow feet then I suspect they would be swimming in the correct length boot. These are the first boots I've put on, in my correct size, where the fit with the forefoot catches on the first position is just right, rather than slightly too tight. So I've got room to tighten them without having to suffer the weeks of pain that my XWave 9s gave me before the liners packed out a bit. Now I need to find some snow after 17 April (too busy till then)!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 9-03-07 18:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
petemillis, The Magma is a 98mm last, medium volume but hardly wide fitting. Good luck by the way! wink Cool Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
petemillis, The Magma is a 98mm last, medium volume but hardly wide fitting. Good luck by the way! wink Cool Toofy Grin

I had this boot marked as a medium to wide forefoot - I'm just about to edit my first post to say "fairly wide feet". I was always in G width in kids shoes - so p'raps the width expansion thing has slowed down a bit as I grew up! Maybe it's the shape of these boots then that suits my foot well, if they aren't a particularly wide boot. I know when I tried the same boot in France t'other week, it was one of the few boots that i've put on and not felt undue pressure in one place or too much volume elsewhere.
When you say "goodluck by the way" - do you mean you know something I don't about these boots? Or is it a genuine "good luck"? Laughing Yeah, I know I should have bought from a local shop and sat down with a boot fitter, but for one, I thought "what the hell", and after the discomfort of my X-Wavw 9s that were just too small, something pleasant to wear is nice (especially at my age!)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, out of interest, is 98mm the width acorss the inside of the forefoot area, or does it mean something else? ALways wanted to know that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
98mm is the width 1st-5th Metatarsal in size 26.5. Making a 28.5, 106mm internally. The boot is a medium volume shell with a medium midfoot-instep area. Genuine good luck mate, i reckon with a good footbed, correct liner choice, i'd have got you in a 27.5 but thats just cos i'm like that. wink Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
98mm is the width 1st-5th Metatarsal in size 26.5. Making a 28.5, 106mm internally. The boot is a medium volume shell with a medium midfoot-instep area. Genuine good luck mate, i reckon with a good footbed, correct liner choice, i'd have got you in a 27.5 but thats just cos i'm like that. wink Cool

Merci bien monsieur, je comprend. I measured my foot from outside of 1st metatarsal to 5th metatarsal and I'm 110mm, and the boots feel just right across there. This is where I had a problem in the X-Wave 9s in 27.5 - even when the liners packed right out they were still too tight across that point which caused the foot to cramp up and made the boot hard to remove, and even harder to refit the following morning. Any idea what the sixe of the X-Wave 9 is across there?

Also, with the Magma in 28.5 I can get about one and a half of my slender fingers down the back between heel and shell. I guess with the 27.5 then it would be less than a finger, which is the same as on my X-Wave 9s, but I honestly felt this uncomfortably tight with toes hammering the end unless I flexed the boot really hard. I've got a condition called alopecia universalis - same as Gail Porter and Duncan Goodhew - and one of the problems with this is that it has knackered my toe nails (especially the big ones) making anything tight over the ends extremely painful. This certainly didn't help from the comfort point of view in the 27.5.

You're right, I probably could be shoehorned into a 27.5, but I don't think comfortably, and I don't think I would have been able to justify the cost to MrsPeteMillis either! I think I've found a boot for me that hits the spot - but watch out here for future posts if I start complaining that they're falling off my feet!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
petemillis, X-Wave, 101mm 1st - 5th. 105mm size 27.5.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you're suggesting that the X-Waves are wider in the forefoot area than the Tecnica boots - yes?

In that case, how do the Magmas compare to the Magnesiums? I ask 'cos I've used X-Wave 8s for 5 years and had a nightmare at first. In the end they were stretched 5 times before they fitted my wide forefoot (95 mm unweighted, 103mm weighted, 26.5 Mondo). The guys at Precision in Val d'Isere told me I was sold a pup and should have put into Tecnica or Head boots.

I tried a pair of 26 Mondo Magnesiums a couple of years ago and apart from being just too short, they were perfect straight out of the box. Now that I'm looking to 'upgrade' I was looking at something at the top of the Tecnica range e.g. Magma or Magnesium

Any thoughts?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickB, We have Magma in Hot Form. The liner can make the forefoot width of boots confusing. There were many problems with X-Wave due to coller alignment. We stretched them sometimes beyond recognition, when a simple inversion of the Lateral Canting rivet was all that was needed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'm pleased to be able to confirm that I have today tried on the Diablo Magma in 27.5 - on the cork, 6mm behind my heel. With the liner in it fits snug - as you predicted, better fit than the 28.5. Also, it fits much more comfortably than the XWave9 - the main differenence seems to be that the Tecnica has a squarer across the front toe box which suits my foot better than the Salomon.
I've order the 27.5 Magma, and will now be having to flog the 28.5.....oh well, I should get the cost back I hope.

Brand new unworn Diablo Magma boots in 28.5 anyone?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
petemillis, I would have been interested until SZK put me into 27.5 Dalbellos, which fitted me slightly better than the Diablo.
(all my old boots were 28.5)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
petemillis wrote:
......Brand new unworn Diablo Magma boots in 28.5 anyone?

If only there were in 27 rolling eyes

BTW, the thing I like about my Diablo Fire's (apart from being orange) is the roomy toe box yet a snug fit everywhere else.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
petemillis, I would have been interested until SZK put me into 27.5 Dalbellos, which fitted me slightly better than the Diablo.
(all my old boots were 28.5)

Damn that SZK! Ne'er mind - I'll pop them into the "for sale" section then ebay as a last resort, although I might make a couple of quid no them if I put them on ebay.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
petemillis wrote:
although I might make a couple of quid no them if I put them on ebay.....

Oh, just do it. After all, no self-respecting snowHead would buy off fleabay after reading these threads. . . Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
petemillis, I take it you'll be making a small donation to the SH fund. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
petemillis, I take it you'll be making a small donation to the SH fund. Toofy Grin

I shall indeed be paying some munge to upgrade from snowHead to something bigger! And I should like to take this opportunity to thank your help.

I still have no regrets about buying from Ski-Bilek - as I now have 2 pairs of boots for not much more than the price of one pair. Just need to shift one pair then I'm back to proper fitting half price boots!
ski holidays
Well, I'm sitting here in my 27.5 Diablo Magmas. Much snugger than the 28.5s - feel good - and none of that pressue across the outside toes that made the 27.5 XWave 9 problematic for me. I've had these for an hour now - no problems at all with making cups of tea so they should do me well.
Anyone off to XScape at any point over the coming weeks?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy