Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Footbeds - Please Help

Poster: A snowHead
I want to buy a pair of footbeds for my ski boots. I looked at the Aline and they seem too stiff for me. I have very flat feet and injured my foot about 2 years ago so I want an insole with some cushion. The Shock Doctor looks promising but I'm not sure if there is enough arch support. I also read about Your Sole which you heat and then they mold to your feet. I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the mentioned footbeds or can suggest another brand? I once was fitted by SUre Feet but had to return them since my feet hurt more with them.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
traderfjp, you might want to look at Superfeet, but if you can get to a good bootfitter in your area, and ask them for advice. There's a good list of bootfitters on www.epicski.com
(oh, and in case no one has said it before, welcome to snowHeads!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
traderfjp, What was that about 'SOREFOOT?' Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I really just want advice on which insoles are best or atleast the differences in footbeds out there. I have no interest in finding a boot fitter. I like to do things myself. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
traderfjp, I'd love to be able to make my own footbeds too. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I build my own furnuture, create websites, do professional photography and have a 210 bowling average so I would think footbeds would be a cinch. Thanks for your helpful post.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
traderfjp, How many bones do you have in your feet? Will you make them Weighted/Unweighted. Do you want to achive STN? Will you adopt the windlass method? rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

How many bones do you have in your feet

A lot more than you should have when you drop your bowling ball on it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I cut up a few rags and then glued them together and now I have the perfect insole. My edge control is amazing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
traderfjp,

you should try some custom made insoles, i work in an outdoor shop and also have them in my boots. the help people with normal feet as well as problem feet. give you the extra support you need for a long day. if you can get them made i would reccomend it. conformable make the insoles.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
traderfjp wrote:
I cut up a few rags and then glued them together and now I have the perfect insole. My edge control is amazing.

One of the best posts I've ever read.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor, Hello, where you bin then?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
traderfjp I cut up a few footbeds today and then cleaned my car with them, the result was SHITE, nevermind. Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Help, sorry to hijack but I need some advice too. I'm a size 7 too & my boots are 25.5 (which I bought in 2002). I also have moulded insoles but I found last season that the left boot was intolerably uncomfortable so, on advice from a ski shop, I took it out & bought some thinner socks. Just got back from Xscape & my feet (particularly the right one) had lost all sensation. I've always put this down to me being tense when I ski but I felt really relaxed today so now not convinced this is the reason. Don't think I had my boots too tight because my heels felt firmly in place but toes still had room to wriggle. For what it's worth, I have the same problem when I wear trainers for a prolonged period. Any ideas Bootmeisters?
latest report
traderfjp, the Sole brand has been discussed on here before; to sum previous discussion the heel support is not as definite as off-the-shelf ski or skate-specific models and the forefoot can be quite a bit more padded. Notice that all the positive testimonials are from sports putting pressure on the forefoot instead of the entire foot.

Ms. C. is from Sayville. In spite of this, I don't know that I can recommend anyone near you for fitting. Where do you ski?
snow conditions
traderfjp,

I love you!

‘Rags and glue’ - pure genius. No relation to Mr Bowerman and his waffle machine by any chance?

Just find whatever suits you best - accommodate your foot. Remember moulding a footbed in a static position bears little relationship to how your foot behaves when you are screaming down a 35 degree downhill, hitting bumps, turning left and right etc.

Some boot fitters mould a very (too) high definition of your ‘underfoot’ and this can hurt.

Controlling/accommodating the foot behaviour to within (what is considered) ‘normal’ is enough.

Happy feet = Happy skiing
latest report
Some boot fitters mould a very (too) high definition of your ‘underfoot’ and this can hurt.

Some have you spend X-amount of euros and mould something that offers the foot no support whatsoever, this is theft. Toofy Grin
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

SZK - Cannot believe you use insoles to wash your car - that is so 'retro'. Try using ski boots next time, I found this to be the best (buckles facing) you get a wicked urban finish - just like 'Pimp your Ride.'
Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
tailskidder, I have made a Chamois Leather by balling up old ski edges, this offers me a near original finish on all my panels. Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

Some have you spend X-amount of euros and mould something that offers the foot no support whatsoever, this is theft.

True - too true - Did you know that Daleks were boot fitters? 'Accomodate' 'Accomodate' - it's just they couldn't work in resort Laughing
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
traderfjp I cut up a few footbeds today and then cleaned my car with them, the result was SHITE, nevermind. Laughing
Laughing Laughing Very good (even for your usual poor standard)
ski holidays
tailskidder, Where i last worked the Staff Artist, did a poster for the guys from Superfeet, featuring the Daleks and the Banner "SUPINATE-SUPINATE". Toofy Grin
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
I am thinking about ironing in my turtle wax then polishing iup with your Chamois. But I have concerns on three fronts
1) Aren't Chamois Protected?
2) What temperature setting is required to melt the turtle shell?
3) Will I still have to use burnt cork on the woodwork on my half timbered Morris Minor?
snow report
SZK wicked - gotta go - bloody work
snow conditions
Justa though before I go;

if we had a Dalek war between supinaters and pronaters - who would be the neutrals????
snow report
tailskidder,
1) Chamois are protected, but by Turtles, therefore melting the Turtle's shell with the skin of a Jacket Potato will allow access to the soft Chamois within.
2) King Edward.
3) Is you Morris Minor truely under 17? I think not, it'll be a Morris Major then and will require a mix of burned cork and 'Arm and Hammer' whitening toothpaste.
snow report
Anybody want to buy my new book? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier,

OOOOooooo that is so naughty...............
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

The only artist I know is Steve from Lockwoods - are you ex Lockwood employee!!!
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, Laughing
Alt "News of the World" title: Insoles 4 Rsoles
latest report
tailskidder, SMALLZOOKEEPER, get a room where you can talk about the old days...
ski holidays
tailskidder, Steve is the guy to which i owe all my skills. He's a god amongst men. He has never crossed over to the Plastic side. It was he whom did the poster for the guys for Superfeet. He's currently a proud new owner of a MG soft top he took me for a spin last Monday, he's realised a dream.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

With all due respect - DON'T OFFER TO WASH HIS CAR NehNeh
latest report
Tailskidder: Who is Mr Bowerman? Is he stealing my rag and glue idea? Tell him to buy the Dummies book. I had orthotics made but they were very hard and didn't work in my ski boots. I ran them for 6 months in my regular shoes to break them in too. I had a shop make molded inserts and cork inserts too and both were less than desirable. I think a master bootfitter is a rare find and can really help those of us with problem feet. My feet are as flat as a waffle (the kind that Mr. Bowerman eats). I've had many bad experiences with fitters and they have drained my wallet on many occasions and that is why I am a DIY bootfitter. My wife just bought Technica boots and was fitted professionally. She skied in pain. When we got home I changed the canter on her boots and it removed the pressure off her ankles. The fitter never checked this adjustment. He instead put a lift under her heel which caused her feet to cramp. Like anything there are good and bad fitters. Laughing
snow conditions
traderfjp, Did you change the canter to a gallop?
snow report
comprex: I ski mostly in Utah. The Canyons is my favorite spot.
ski holidays
traderfjp, almost anyone can call themselves a "professional" boot fitte after a stint in a boot shop. Check out epicski.com for the ones other skiers had better luck with. There's one at NYC but he's expensive, from what I heard.

I must have easy to fit feet. My 3 boots all fit fine and painless. It's probably just a coincidence I got them at the same shop at Killington (Basin Ski Shop) that comes highly recommended in EpicSki.com. Though I didn't know about that recommendation until AFTER I got all my boots.
snow conditions
traderfjp, nice, I was hoping to look at the Canis Lupus race this year but tore my knee up just below Sun Peaks Express the week before.

The folks at SuperiorSki at Snowbird, have you talked to them?
ski holidays
Well - I just bought new softer flexing footbeds so I want to try then out before I go to another bootfitter. Thanks for the recommendation.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy