Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bootfitting appointment - questions to ask?

Poster: A snowHead
I have a proper bootfitting appointment on Sunday and was just wondering if there are any specific questions I should ask or information I should give to the bootfitter? Or, indeed, what info would be irrelevant? Obviously I will go in with no preconceptions and allow myself to be guided but I would rather not just be a passive participant! TIA!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What discounts do you give to snowHead members?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marc gledhill, oh good one Smile Probably be on a hiding to nothing though. Besides wouldn't want to sacrifice service on the altar of price on sth like boots
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What colours do you have?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"Does my bum look big in these"? Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eng_ch, where are you going to get them fitted? I know a bootfitter who works just over the border in France...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, follwoing CEM and SZK's recommendations, I've got an appointment at Freeride
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eng_ch,
Be honest about your ability.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
...and about pain/fit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, don't suffer in silence you mean? Fine - but I guess one question in my mind is what level of discomfort is to be expected/acceptable before the boots are bedded in so that they don't become too loose once you've skied for a few days? I remember FtS mentioning pain for the first 5 days or so i his new boots and, frankly, that thought fills me with horror. I'm a coward, y'see Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eng_ch, I'd mention it, but describe it as well. Don't say "my foot is sore", but maybe "it's slightly sore on the left side near the big toe, it's painful on the ankle bone..." give the bootfitters something to work with.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eng_ch, Yes but I am a bloke. Would be but a tickle to you Very Happy . There was not a mark on my feet or legs at the end of the PSB, so no rubbing or chaffing.
My tips would be not to walk too far in the new boots. Skiing is comfy, but walking jams the toes in the front. Loosen the boots on lifts and when resting. Take chairs not drags. At the PSb I walked a lot, stood a lot and caught no chairs. rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
eng_ch, I'd mention it, but describe it as well. Don't say "my foot is sore", but maybe "it's slightly sore on the left side near the big toe, it's painful on the ankle bone..." give the bootfitters something to work with.

OK, that seems fairly self-evident I guess
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bring your own socks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
My tips would be not to walk too far in the new boots. ... Loosen the boots on lifts and when resting. Take chairs not drags.

Business as usual then? Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
eng_ch, <SLAP> Laughing I usually avoid drags when I can.
latest report
When I'm chatting to the fitter, is it better to allow him to form an initial opinion of my feet before I mention specific problems, so as not to second-guess or give him preconceptions, or am I better to explain the lot first (at the risk of info overload)? I guess that's more a question for CEM /SZK
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I meant me Very Happy And don't you mean drags avoid you now? Laughing NehNeh
snow conditions
eng_ch, Laughing II and myself have agreed not to share any form of lift at the EoSB
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, oh, really? Laughing
latest report
eng_ch, if he/she is a good fitter, they will ask you questions, but will weigh up your answers against what they see.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, I suppose I should rephrase the question as volunteer info or wait to be asked. I want it to go well, so I don't want to p*** off or confuse the fitter by bombarding him with immaterial info (I don't know enough to judge what's immaterial), yet obviously don't want to overlook anything.
snow conditions
All the bootfitters I've met seemed to be waiting for the same question.

Fancy a beer?
snow report
admin, aha, top tip!
snow conditions
OK, immaterial: Colour.

Material: Do you wear high heels much?
What other sports do you do?
What sort of skiing do you do?
At what level?
Have you ever broken any bones in your ankle/foot or had operations done on them?
Do you have any medical issues that might affect one leg more than the other?
Are you Heather Mills?
Are those the socks you normally wear skiing?
ski holidays
Yes - bring alcohol with you. It always goes down well.
latest report
Cut your toenails.
ski holidays
wash your feet
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Clean socks Smile
snow report
If bits do hurt, try and describe how they hurt as well as where it hurts - burning sensations are different to crushing/numb sensations etc
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I wasn't even there, and even I now can't get on a draglift without thinking of you Wink
snow report
Always remember to ask what they do in the summer, and whether they have a proper job as well.....
snow conditions
Guvnor, ?
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
eng_ch, Yes but I am a bloke. Would be but a tickle to you Very Happy . There was not a mark on my feet or legs at the end of the PSB, so no rubbing or chaffing.
My tips would be not to walk too far in the new boots. Skiing is comfy, but walking jams the toes in the front. Loosen the boots on lifts and when resting. Take chairs not drags. At the PSb I walked a lot, stood a lot and caught no chairs. rolling eyes

I've read that a properly fitting pair of high performance boots should be comfortable to wear buckled up all day. If you get pain when sitting or walking in them then they don't fit properly. And the easiest way to avoid toe jam when walking is to walk with the ankles flexed slightly as if skiing.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
bring your own socks.
but make sure they're not big fat ones!
latest report
If you're pregnant then you may have swolen ones
snow conditions
petemillis, I've been wearing the Falke SK2s for about 3-4 years. Love 'em, not too thick, padding where it's needed and the only ski sock I've found that doesn't shrink in the wash
snow conditions
petemillis wrote:

I've read that a properly fitting pair of high performance boots should be comfortable to wear buckled up all day. If you get pain when sitting or walking in them then they don't fit properly. And the easiest way to avoid toe jam when walking is to walk with the ankles flexed slightly as if skiing.

I would agree on the walking bit but to walk with the ankles flexed you have to walk with bent knees. i would last 10 yards at the most. With ankles flexed, and because the boot fits so well , the heel is pushed back into the heel recess of the boot, keeping the heel gripped and allowing the toes to have adequate room. They are after all ski boots and not walking boots.
snow report
get his mobile number - won't help the fit but if you are stuck up in a cafe waiting for the feeling to come back to your feet - it is a perfect oppourtunity to let him know exactly where it hurts and how you FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL Laughing
snow report
I've just sat through a 2 hours fitting session at Lockwoods today. Went through most of the questions here but the one that surprised me was whether I have diabetes. Eye test - yes, boot fitting Puzzled Should have asked why really.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy