Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guides in Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am going to Chamonix next weekend and we want to do the Vallee Blanche on the Sunday and would like to arrange a guide before we go. Can anyone recommend where I might find such an individual? I am also a little worried about the arrete(?) you have to navigate when you get out of the cable car - is this as scary as it sounds or am i being a wimp?

All replies gratefully received snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi! Sorry I can't help, but you might find this previous thread, complete with video, useful.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=507533#507533

Also, search under Vallee Blanche and you will find lots of useful info http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php?mode=results
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go on the compagnie des guides de chamonix website - lots of guiding trips there
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I am also a little worried about the arrete

The arrete is fine, but it always feels a bit scary coz of the drops all around.

Guides often rope their groups together to give them a bit more of a feeling of security, though these roped parties tend to slow the whole process down.

If you've got access to crampons, that makes the whole thing a lot less of an issue >>> strap on your pointy-feet - strap your skis to your pack & you can stroll down with your hands in your pockets looking like a real cool mountain dude Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or nip over to Courmayeur and do it from that side which avoids the arrete altogether.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for the advice eveyone. I would love to look like a cool mountain dude. Must practice the look in the mirror before I go. Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mr ted, Don't forget the icing sugar in the beard for the really frosted look wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've taken the video down as I needed the space... I might be able to find it and out it back up if need be.mr ted,

Go to the Guides office and ask for their opinion on the best day. You will want the best weather day and you don't always get a choice of when that is.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is it currently possible to do the VB? I wondered whether the recent snow and increased avalanche risk might have made it more unsafe?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mr ted, you could try Lars at www.mountainpenguins.com ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mr ted, what you need to book sort of depends on how good a skier you are. If you're a sort of regular intermediate, without a lot of off-piste experience, the Classic Route will probably be plenty for you. Both the main Compagnie des Guides and the Independent's bureau (check out http://www.guides-du-montblanc.com/uk/index_uk.html for the Independent Bureau) put together ad hoc groups for something like €75 per person - groups are up to about 7. I always use the Independents, as I've generally felt they give a more personal service than the main Compagnie, where I've always felt a bit more in a machine when enquiring about booking there. If you are a group of experienced off-pisters, then you'll probably want something more than the regular Classic Route though, and would do better hiring a private guide for the day, which costs about €280, and the number of people they'll take varies depending on the difficulty of the route (they'll take up to 6 on all but the moste difficult routes). They'll normally give good advice about weather - and if it's not worth it often tell you so and not charge. I've also had an excellent guide from Evolution 2, although I've not used them for a while now.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another misleading title, I was hoping for a Girl Guide story Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mr ted, if your going with a tour op, eg, thomson, crystal they will most likely have guides going over to Vallee Blanche at some point in the week, usually free of charge wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rainman, At some point it will stabilise. Also, the biggest problem with the "normal" VB is crevasses rather than slides I believe...

provenjohn, I think the girls guides have been absorbed into the boy scouts these days, rather than the other way around which was more normal back when I sported a woggle... Twisted Evil

mr ted, Re the arrette. You are being a wimp.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did VB last week Tuesday just after the huge snowfalls. Weather was not great but we did ski all the way down to the floor of the glacier in waist deep powder which we only had to share with one guided group and and four other independent powder hounds. Have photos that i will post when we get home next week. Personally i think the arrete is a piece of piste esp with two rather thick ropes on either side.
snow report
glad to hear i am being an arrette wimp, and thanks for all the advice. As always everyone has been very helpful.

Cheers
Mr Ted
ski holidays
hello

i know a great guide called neil hitchings, here is his website http://neil-hitchings.com/

he has lived in chamonix for years but was originally from northern england. took me my dad and brother down the valley blanche a couple of years ago, then last year did some good routes from the top of les grandes montets.

anyone going to chamonix should check out his website
latest report
el capitan, A second endorsement from me, although a sense of humour does not come included with his fee! Sorry Neil if you see this! Toofy Grin
snow report
Well, thank you all for your advice. I did indeed do the Vallee Blanche on Sunday and it was a terrific day. A friend had a very close encouter with a crevasse and the arrette was extremely windy, and with my slight fear of heights, it was quite an experience.

cheers
Mr Ted
ski holidays
provenjohn wrote:
Another misleading title, I was hoping for a Girl Guide story Toofy Grin

Me too, as my youngest Daughter is due to finish Brownies soon and we are looking for a Guides group for her to join Toofy Grin
latest report
mr ted, Well done! Still afraid of height's ? Shocked
snow report
mr ted, We did the Vallee Blanche earlier this month and used Evolution 2. They were brilliant.

It was a superb blue sky day and had snowed the night before. Unmissable.

Resort info added here... http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5047
snow report
Not afraid of heights really, more afraid of falling. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy