Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Sword Grip" handles

Poster: A snowHead
To some extent a follow on from a previous post...

Yes, I use the straps ("correctly"!) if I'm not using my own poles. However, since my 9th birthday (I'm now 36!!!) I have used the same sword grip handles on every pair of ski poles I have used (except for my speed poles). The problem is, that after 27 years, the plastic on my much cherished handles has degraded and the flexible protrusions have snapped off. This means that I can no longer hang my poles on the chairlift safetly bar.

I know these handles are not considered safe/cool but I like them...

So, an appeal to all skiers!!!

Does anyone have/not want (or know where I can source) some replacements?

Cheers! Very Happy [/b]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you may be lucky or unlucky, I had a set of poles with grips like them but will need to check if they survived the various garage purging sessions. Will check and get back to you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
daehwons wrote:
you may be lucky or unlucky, I had a set of poles with grips like them but will need to check if they survived the various garage purging sessions. Will check and get back to you.

Excellent, thanks.

There were quite a variety of shapes available in days gone by. My wife has some which are quite "wide" (they are kind of molded to fill the palm) whereas mine are really just a normal handle with extensions over the back of the hand. I thinkthere's a greater risk of skiers thumb with the more molded variety. I'de even considered taking a mold of mine and getting new ones injected!

Still...if someone's got some...much easier!

Ta!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got a pair of Scott 'The Ski' poles with sword grips c.1981
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some classic Warren Miller segments were on the TV last night. One good thing about these sequences is the remarkable quality of the slow-motion.

So I strained my eyes to look at those being heli-dropped, as well as those coming down the couloirs and chutes to see if they were strapless, or with straps.

One advantage of those vintage white ski gloves is the you can clearly see the straps across the palms......
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman wrote:

Ah ha! My 9th birthday was 1980! Will anyone ever speak to me again if I admit I used to sing into the handles?

Ok...you can stop laughing now. I stopped doing that.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DrBullet wrote:

I stopped doing that.

Ha! that's what you say wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

My first poles. Have them in the workshop, with my first pair of skis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
...but this an appeal!

Who is willing to part with their antiques?!

I'm willing to buy (or donate to Snowheads) in return for your relics!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DrBullet,
A donation to Snowheads and you pay the postage. Do you want the whole poles 125cm or just the grips?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman wrote:
DrBullet,
A donation to Snowheads and you pay the postage. Do you want the whole poles 125cm or just the grips?

Hi Spyderman,
Just the grips would be great!
Shall we sort this via paypal?
Just tried to send a private message...but have forgotten how to do it!!! Please feel free to send me one with postage costs etc!

Cheers,

Nigel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrBullet,
I've PM'd you.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wow - I am looking for the same handles for my husband - anybody? wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am imagining something like a rapier hand guard being discussed here, and remember seeing something similar on the TV racing this year and also on the poles of the local ski club kids in resort last week and this is the Leki yellow hand guards on this web site: http://www.leki.com/Skiing/RaceGear/ although not the sword grip poles themselves I wondered if these would accomplish the same thing for those folks looking for them.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any other non-strappers here ?

I have never, ever used the straps on my poles (except for hanging them over my skis whilst parked) and I can't think why anyone would want to risk the additional injury risk that comes with wrapping that strap around their hand or wrist.

I've never dropped them either, even in the biggest tumbles but quite often they've got stuck into the snow whilst poleing and left me empty-handed a few metres further on. Very Happy
latest report
moffatross wrote:

I have never, ever used the straps on my poles (except for hanging them over my skis whilst parked) and I can't think why anyone would want to risk the additional injury risk that comes with wrapping that strap around their hand or wrist.

I've never dropped them either, even in the biggest tumbles but quite often they've got stuck into the snow whilst poleing and left me empty-handed a few metres further on. Very Happy

Me too, they drive me round the bend. I may be thick but I can never work out the best way to fit them over my wrists. Then I'm sure that if I fall awkwardly I'll end up doing myself a hideous injury. I feel it's worth the small risk of losing a pole to leave them loose.
snow report
Anyone else fancy some fencing on the slopes? I'm thinking that a couple of epees for poles, plus a bit of extra padding on the jacket could lead to an interesting couple of runs... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
ct1 wrote:
moffatross wrote:

Me too, they drive me round the bend. I may be thick but I can never work out the best way to fit them over my wrists. Then I'm sure that if I fall awkwardly I'll end up doing myself a hideous injury. I feel it's worth the small risk of losing a pole to leave them loose.

I don't think that thickness comes into the decision not to strap-in, in fact quite the opposite is probably true certainly at the extreme steep level. When you really need your pole, in a hurry, you simply don't want to be restricted to having it attached to you at the handle end. I can also recall reading about some horrendous injuries incurred on people who had not just broken wrists, hands or arms but other more bizarre things involving chairlifts, eyes and impalings as a result of inability to release their poles.
ski holidays
moffatross, the reason to strap, AFAIK. is to help in poleing and other points where you don't want grip to be the only thing attaching you. I have never heard of (or met) anyone injured 'cos of their poles being attached. But, if you're skiing in trees (where they can get caught in branches/roots) it's a big no-no to attach them.
snow report
under a new name, I haven't used the straps since someone showed me his thumb, hurt in a fall by a strap-on (ski-pole, that is), which articulated more like a shoulder than, say, a knee.
snow report
veeeight wrote:
One advantage of those vintage white ski gloves is the you can clearly see the straps across the palms......

"Palms"???
latest report
why do ski racers use straps if they dont do any good?
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
why do ski racers use straps if they dont do any good?

Do they?
latest report
achilles wrote:
Do they?

That's a fantastic picture with just the rear few inches of her edges buried in the snow as she almost looks like she is willing herself through that turn against the laws of physics. I saw a great air turn on 'Ski Sunday' today by a French racer during a slalom who I thought deserved victory just for style alone. Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy