Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japanese ski maker Ogasaka introduces $1950 wooden skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Who said skis are too cheap?

Japanese maker Ogasaka, "handcrafting skis since 1912", has introduced a $1950 model called Long Cruise, laminated with maple and cherry woods, on which each buyer's name is hot pressed at the tail.

Any snowHead willing to purchase this fine ski will be granted free space below to provide us with a test report, especially if they are tested on a Japanese mountain, since we get very few reports from Japanese ski areas.

This is a limited offer.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting, one of my favourite skis are the 'Maui' pattern Dynastar 4X4s, getting on a bit now but still a great all-mountain ski. If any snowheads would like to purchase a pair of these fine skis, contact me. I won't charge $1,950 and from a distance they'll look almost identical.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You mean you'll charge more than $1950?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If I could, but I'm driven by the economics of market forces.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Market farces in this instance, perhaps. No offence to Ogasaka, of course.

The ski's designer is on record as proposing that it is "too beautiful to put away during the summer" and should be kept in the living room as a decoration.

With the price tag discreetly displayed for guests, I presume.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's also a P60 version from Voelkl, called custom, which sports vintage looks...but I'm sure it won't cost that pile of money.
BTW the other Ogasaka models aren't cheap either!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Err. Did any of you notice that aluminium plate Puzzled Shocked Puzzled ?

I take it that Al7178 is the alloy, well enough, but, um, won't it work-harden when flexed, and be more brittle when cold than our standby Ti?

I am not all that sure about the stainless steel edges either.

If anyone knows about the French Al skis mentioned here:
http://www.skiinghistory.org/SkiHumor8.html

and their durability. . . I know some snowmobile leaf-spring skis are done from Al.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
It is a useful property of steel (and titanium) that when the stress level fall below a certain value the specimen is effectively never likely to fail. Generally other materials do not exhibit this effect.

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Fatigue/Fatigue.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, Al7178 is from memory an aircraft grade Aluminium Alloy so it should be ok

Stainless steel can be used for edges provided it is a high quality stainless, some of the finest stainless steel knives come out of Japan so I wouldn't worry about that as much as I would if they were a Korean manufacturer
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's another obscure and intriguing ski - the PM Gear 'Bro', made by 'Powder Maggots' in Reno, Nevada.

Claimed testimonials include the following: "Powerful freight train", "They're freaking sick".

Tom Greenall of natives.co.uk (their Chamonix reporter) has been testing prototypes on Mount Hood. Here's his unusual report.

And here's some info. on the skis.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For those who don't know, Powder is a US ski magazine. Their forum used to be very good, with a lot of new school skiers on it. The members called themselves Maggots. Then one day Powder started to put adverts on the forums (pop-ups, etc), and their administrators started to lock down - deleting threads, removing the archives, and one day, accidentally displaying user information.
Most of the maggots left and went to TGR, where they are alive and well. Because of the size of their membership, they had managed in the past to get discount deals on skis, and I think they had produced their own gloves.
The skis are the latest offering from them.
It's not about making money, but about producing gear for skiers.

(most of the potted history of the Maggots is from memory, but I think it's fairly close to accurate)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Claimed testimonials include the following: "Powerful freight train", "They're freaking sick".

I see they didn't quote the only Englishman amongst the testers who described them as "Yes, quite good, actyually".
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy