Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nervous going too fast - legacy of a snowboarder cum skier

Poster: A snowHead
When I was a boarder the worse possible case scenario for me would be a fast, narrow section of piste requiring me to go fast and to go straight. Any boarder will testify that also coincided with the distinct possibility of catching an edge and slamming ones bod down. It usually occurs quickly and without rhyme or reason and really hurts with the added potential for injury. This would invariably occur at least once every few days and I sustained various bumps and bruises as a consequence (the best being a faceplant on a closed black run on a white out day in Tignes when I face planted on a mogul and got a nasty cut and black eye). I was lucky that was the worst.

Now I am a sensible, mature skier with less inclination for anythng remotely black, whited out etc I have certain hangover problems which are very difficult to shift. One of them (which a lot of never-boarded skiers have anyway) is an inclination to leaning up the hill rather than down the fall line. I am working on that one, and will raise that another day.

The problem that really spooks me is going real fast and real straight on skis. I am happy going fast to a point but a little voice always ends up tellig me to do a couple of speed killing turns so i dont catch an edge and bust myself in half.

Is it possible to catch an edge like this on ski's?

What do I do to overcome this?

I am tired of really crap skiers zooming passed me just because they don't have the terrible scars of being a former boarder.....and don't know how to turn (Kramer ;-) )
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I have certain hangover problems

Don't we all...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
martski, Laughing

Bacon butties don't help...I've tried
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get to a flying K run and do it on hired long skis.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Leuzzi, maybe practice on a wide steep slope with a good run out. Start straight-lining slightly higher up each time as you gain confidence.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Leuzzi, well put. Your words make me shiver with my own memories (board and ski) but can I suggest the following, which has worked for me this year.

Forget all your better mates saying ski the fall line and just put in steady regular turns. As this becomes more comfortable (i.e. you feel less like you're going to get slammed on an outside edge), begin entering the next turn before you exit the last, chest always facing forward.

This causes your skis or board to stay pointing down the slope and the constant turning keeps lateral pressure on your edges, so maintaining a braking effect and stopping you hairing out of control!

Eventually, this becomes the flicky turning on piste or bouncy turns off piste that you jealously watch the good guys doing.

I guess I am at the incompetent but aware stage and a bit gutted because my skiing is finished until next season!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Leuzzi wrote:

Is it possible to catch an edge like this on ski's?

The short answer is yes, you CAN catch an edge like that. I've done that cruising along on flat stretches! Sad

I've been told one should put the ski/board on edge, not flat on the snow. Theory being a flat board/ski can be jerked by any minor variation on the snow surface into any random direction, sending you sprawling on the snow.

You can decide where to shoot for by varying the edge instead of just "riding" the flat bottom of ski/board to whereever it wants to go.

But the next time you see me face plant on the slope, forget what I said. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarpa, Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter Leuzzi, Scarpais referring to the flying kilometre downhill done by the speed skiers. I believe the record stands at a bit short of 150mph Shocked These guys use 240cm long skis, special aerodynamic helmets and polyurethane coated suits again for aerodyamics. Their suits have to have thermal insulation in them 'coz of the heat build up and possibility of skin buns if they take a fall at those kind of speeds. Oh,and the slope is about a 45 degree downhill - seriously steep.

Anyone got a video clipof these Flying K loonies?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What about those annoying (generally French) kids that sit back on their haunches and flat line. Oh for a barbed trip wire....

sproggski, are you boarder cum skier or vice versa/ How many weeks of each have you done. Hoping for a kindred spirit Smile

abc, I hear what you are saying but why is it that some people seem to easily and speedily tuck without obvious edge usage?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Leuzzi, At les arcs you can do the first half (bottom hehehe) of the 150+mph (240+kph) Flying Kilometre. Most people reach 100kph, quite a few 150kph.

Failing that - as said above - find a steepish slope and bomb down the bottom 200m of it with a long flat section beneath. As you get more confident at tucking down you find that you can still turn using edges. It's great fun... honest. I recently did this off piste and hit a load of powder though... my mate said that all he saw was a giant moving cloud of snow with the odd ski flying through the air Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 6-03-07 23:10; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Those two vids were shot in Les Arcs last April just prior to the EOSB.

You have to let them run through once before the sound comes into synch - the last one is hilarious Laughing

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 6-03-07 23:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
or:

http://youtube.com/v/tw5doHjd0Ug
snow conditions
251.40kph in 2006.
I also remember watching the one legged bloke doing it - amazing.
latest report
Best way to avoid catching an edge on skis is to keep on your edges. Whenever I run on a flat schuss I'll always be skiing from one edge to the other, never keeping the skis totally flat as that does run the danger of suddenly catching an edge and veering off.
snow report
Scarpa, martski, don't you want me to sleep tonight?

I reckon Philippe looked apprehensive wink
snow conditions
Peter Leuzzi, I have come a cropper going fast on flat slopes and not paying attention; but when you are tucking in and keeping your weight forwards the worst that happens is your skis wallowing about a bit - disconcerting but it should not make you crash. The time people fall over is when they attempt to slow whilst still on the steep part of the slope... if you have confidence and hold out then you will be ok. Start small and build up slowly.
latest report
Peter Leuzzi, But it's such a buzz Madeye-Smiley If only I could do it on powder without the six million dollar man impressions rolling eyes
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, from my first week of skiing until now (week 5) although it can be scary going fast in a straight line I've never caught an edge or fallen. The only time I did fall was when I straight lined it to catch up with my mate, and then decided I needed to slow down so tried to do a gentle turn to scrub off some speed, but instead flew down the piste head first! But I am coming round to the idea that you don't learn much from going fast in a straight line and that continual gentle turns from one edge to the other is a better idea.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/PfoOPY5VhZo&mode=related&search=

Just look at this if you want to sleep well - the flips off the cliff are fantastic!!!
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Best way to avoid catching an edge on skis is to keep on your edges. Whenever I run on a flat schuss I'll always be skiing from one edge to the other, never keeping the skis totally flat as that does run the danger of suddenly catching an edge and veering off.
Yup same for me. Dont worry Peter as you are not alone in your fear.
latest report
zebedee, With you there - turns are where the fun is. I remember on my 3rd day sking, went up to some top in Sunshine village and halfway down myself and my mate just went hell for leather in a straight line towards the lower lifts. On the crappy straight skis we had some bad chatter but we were too scared/didn't know how to turn hehehe
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I think we all share that. The best way to overcome your fear is to have a mate point a video camera at you. I've found it stops me from staying put and gibbering Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

abc, I hear what you are saying but why is it that some people seem to easily and speedily tuck without obvious edge usage?

I see what you mean now.

I've never caught an edge when I'm actually paying attention . Every time it happened it's because I was distracted by scenery or just casually fooling around. So my guess is if you're properly balanced on your two planks, you might get jerk a bit side ways but shouldn't get body slammed.

When you're in a tuck, you have a shorter distance to the ground. wink
ski holidays
It also seems to occur (but looking at scenery is a fav of mine too) when you are not pressuring the front of your boots; if you are at all on the backs of the skis then even a slight knock seems to throw you rapidly out of kilter. At least that is what it feels like to me.
snow report
One thing I learned from my instructor last year was that in a tuck postion to have your elbows forward of your knees, not resting on them on them as I used to do. This helps keep your weight forward.

Also, have your poles horizontal, not stuck in your armpits pointing up in the air. I'm not sure what effect that has but you probably look a little bit more like you know what you're doing.

Scarpa, that advise is not directed at you, as I'm sure you don't need it Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zebedee wrote:
One thing I learned from my instructor last year was that in a tuck postion to have your elbows forward of your knees, not resting on them on them as I used to do. This helps keep your weight forward.

Also, have your poles horizontal, not stuck in your armpits pointing up in the air. I'm not sure what effect that has but you probably look a little bit more like you know what you're doing.

Scarpa, that advise is not directed at you, as I'm sure you don't need it Smile

1) I need all the advice I can get.
2) If your poles are pointing upwards you a) look like a dodgem car... and b) it's more aerodynamic to lower them.
3) If you see anyone passing by with their poles in the airborne position then deftly hook a pair of Nora Batty style bloomers onto one of them.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 8-03-07 1:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
zebedee wrote:

You see a lot of "Earth calling Mars" tuckers. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
What skis are you on?
latest report
One could reasonably ask what a bunch of recreational weekend skiers are doing in a 'tuck position'. Apart from posing a danger to everyone else on the piste.
ski holidays
laundryman, I call them TV sets "receiving channel 5"!

Peter Leuzzi, It is possible to catch an edge on skis, but it's relatively unusual. The most important thing on fast narrow paths is to push your shins well forward into the tongues of your boots. This keeps the shovels of the skis well loaded and thus more secure.
snow conditions
Ghost wrote:
What skis are you on?

I suspect you're thinking the same thing I'm thinking: get him on something longer & more stable on a shallow-set edge, some nice Stormriders perhaps.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
One could reasonably ask what a bunch of recreational weekend skiers are doing in a 'tuck position'. Apart from posing a danger to everyone else on the piste.

Quite often looking down the last steep bit towards 500m of damn flat snow with someone desperately poling at the end of it.
ski holidays
Scarpa, you'll get more speed and better control from staying on your edges than you will from stuffing your head between your knees and hoping for the best.
snow conditions
Lizzard, good point and noted. But I'm with Scarpa, in that its not about how fast I can go but about whats coming up.

easiski, thanks for that. Will concentrate on that over Easter.

In terms of skis - I am 178cm in height (5'10-11" ish) and weigh just over 90kgs (14 stone 2 or 3) and was quite happy on 165's after a particulalrly bad weekend on 170's last season. I recently went on to 160's for a weekend at the advice of my companions on the basis of not worrying about speed too much but getting my turning right.

What do you think?
snow conditions
Lizzard, when schussing to avoid a walk? Shirley not Confused Velocity difference for standing vs. tuck is very noticeable ne c'est pas?
latest report
Yoda, so is the increased likelihood of a) hitting someone and b) looking ridiculous. The sight of porky middle-aged Dads whizzing blindly down slopes with bums in the air and love-handles bulging is thoroughly wince-worthy.

You are NOT Franz Klammer. Live with it! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Yoda, so is the increased likelihood of a) hitting someone and b) looking ridiculous. The sight of porky middle-aged Dads whizzing blindly down slopes with bums in the air and love-handles bulging is thoroughly wince-worthy.

Complete rubbish! I enjoy going quick when the piste is clear of dangers to myself or others, and getting down into a good tuck and putting in some nice carved turns is one of the great on-piste moments for me. As Yoda wisely pointed out, there is a huge difference in speed and acceleration when you cut your wind resistance, so why not enjoy tucking when the conditions allow?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy