Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots - advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought my ski boots in January 2004 (still have the receipt). When I bought them, I had only skied once before (March 2003) but was completely hooked and decided to invest in a pair of boots. When I went to try them on, they seemed perfect and did not seem to "crush" my feet.

I have just got back from a week in Selva and when I went to the ski hire shop, the guy said he thought my boots were too big. When I have the boots on, I can wiggle my toes and lift my heel slightly, although sometimes I can lift my heel quite a bit. I am a size 7 (the boots are marked 324mm on the side). I think these boots may be a bit too big. They are bigger in length than my partner's boots. At the end of the week, I also had two great sores on the sides of my feet between my heel and ankle bone - I don't know if this was due to walking in the boots, skiing with the boots not done up properly or the boots being unsuitable. Please advise thanks.

Basically, I need to ascertain:

1. How do I know if the boots are too big? Are they too big?
2. I need some advice as to what is the best way to buy new boots - what do I need to know.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, take your boot inner out, so you're left with just the plastic shell.

Take your shoes and socks off. Stand in the boot with your toes just touching the front of the boot.

Have your assistant measure the gap between the back of your heel and the rear of the boot, hopefully it's around 2 or 3 cm.

Roughly, that's length covered.

Do you have to tighten the front two buckles a lot to make the boots feel "fitted"?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, One of my sons has size 7 ½ to 8 feet. His Salomon boots are 305mm length (size Mondo 26.5) and they are a good fit. I'm sure shell size varies a bit by manufacturer but 324mm seems to be too long. As everyone else will say – see a good boot fitter.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
marc gledhill, I have to tighten the middle two buckles to make the boots feel "fitted".
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My Diablo Fires have a sole length of 324mm. Thats the tecnica shell/sole length for a 28-28.5 which is about the same as a 8.5UK to a 9.5.

Best why to buy boots is to get ski shop (UK) with a good boot fitter. There are loads that will be mentioned here like lockwoods, Beans, EB, S&R plus many more. I'm sure someone will be along in a mo to advise. EB at xscape Braehead should be able to help you.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy