Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boot Questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of Nordica GTS10 boots, this is my 2nd season skiing, next week will be my 9th trip, I would describe my self as an intermediate skier ie confident to go fast on reds and groomed blacks but still struggle on moguls and unpisted blacks, but getting better.

Q1. How should you fasten your boots, it was suggested you start from the bottom gradually tightening up the clamps or do you tighten the top pair first tight and then the bottom pair not quite so tight???

Q2. How do tell if your boots are the correct size, I think mine might be too big, when standing straight my toes are crunched slightly at the front, with weight on shins my toes pull away from toe box, which I understand is correct. I have to have my boots very tight around top otherwise I feel I have to much movemnt around my calfs.

I have had the boots since starting skiing, are they perhaps now to flexible for me ??? Any help or suggestions would be gratefully rec'd
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I start at the top and move down. They shouldn't need to be really cranked up - the clips are there to close the boot, not to clamp it to your leg / foot. The size and shape of the boot should provide the fit rather than loads of tension from the clips. Test - can you do your clips up with just one finger? Or does it require some herculean effort? If the latter, the fit probably isn't good.

Have a word with a boot-fitter next time you go skiing and sample a new pair (or two, or three), you never know it might just transform your skiing!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that, it does take quite an effort to fasten the two top clips. The lower foot is quite a good fit, but the calf seems to be the problem

Is there a suggestion of what make and model of boots I perhaps should be trying for my ability ?? Could be a good time to get a bargain at the end of the season!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Your bootfitter will make a judgement about a suitable make and model based on your physique, ability and foot shape. Believe me, they (well some of them at least) are really good at this. It's best not to enter the shop with too many preconceptions about makes and models.

End of the season is a great time to buy!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thunderer, Most boots have adjustable clips (as I'm sure you know) Smile Try letting the adjustment out to give you more slack. As telford_mike, says, start from the top and clip them finger tight. I usually pull the power strap tight first.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thunderer, You could maybe try putting some high density foam, like pipe insulation or similar, down the front between the tongue and the shell? I've heard this suggested before:)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I start by knocking my heel on the floor, then doing up the 3rd & 4th clips, stand up couple of flexes, to make sure my heel is right back in the heel cup and foot is in the right place on the footbed, then do up the 1st & 2nd clips over my toes, retighten top ones as necessary, do up power strap. Go skiing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think I will see a boot fitter to make sure boots are correct size and then go from there, Thanks for your help
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK folks so explain to me then why my bootfitter, and the hireshop on the mountain told me to start at my toes and work upwards with the straps Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, No idea but what I do works for me and my feet stay comfy and pain free. Cool
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, If you start at the toes, you hold the forefoot in place, whilst the other clips are trying to pull your foot back into the heelcup where it should be. So best to put the foot in the right place first using 3rd & 4th first, then do up the front.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Deffo, the correct way is asSpyderman, states
Quote:

I start by knocking my heel on the floor, then doing up the 3rd & 4th clips, stand up couple of flexes, to make sure my heel is right back in the heel cup and foot is in the right place on the footbed, then do up the 1st & 2nd clips over my toes, retighten top ones as necessary, do up power strap. Go skiing.

Got fitted for new boots last week by Brian at Ellis Brigham Liverpool, and boy does he know his onions!! He is EB's staff trainer for all matters mountain. He told me the correct way to put my boots on and it's exactly as Spyderman, states.

Another tip he gave me is that the boots plastic shells will contract with the cold snow on them from the first run and will become tighter,even more so if they've been in a nice warm boot room overnight, so will need loosening after the first run to stop you getting foot problems.

Cheers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just a suggestion - don’t knock your heels onto the floor until you have broken the boot in.

The momentum of putting your new boot on will drive your foot to the front - you heel maybe be out off position, therefore by bashing it backwards can cause to you crush down the foam around the heel cup designed to help with heel hold/comfort.

I would (especially with a new boot) put the boot on and then stand up putting weight onto your insole/footbed and then buckle 3/4 and flex, thus ensuring the heel drives into the heel cup rather than the foam around it.

This sounds a little anal but highly recommend while the liner is conforming to your foots morphology
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy