Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to 3V

Poster: A snowHead
My slightly old map shows a new road is being built between Annecy and geveva - looks far more direct than going vai A41/A40(?) (autoroute blanche). Is this new road now open. Otherwise what is easiest way from Geneva airport to 3 V please ?

Ann
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ann, Have a fiddle around on www.viamichelin.com the most up to date maps AND all the speed camera's clearly marked Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Is this new road now open.

No, they've been building it forever. I would go on the Route Nationale, alongside the route of the new road, then join the motorway on the short section immediately north of Annecy when you get the opportunity. Then take signposting to Albertville on the RN which will take you through Annecy and down the road alongside the lake to Ugine/Albertville. There's no easy way through/past Annecy but it's well signposted out to Albertville. Others may be along with alternatives.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pam W and Boredsurfin - thanks! Can't understand why viamichelin recommend going through Chambery etc to go from Annecy to Albertville. Anyway, catching flight Bournemouth to Geneva this pm!
Ann
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We accidentally took the N212 whilst driving to 3V last year. Well it looks the shortest route on the map. What a nightmare. It took us a total of 5 1/2 hours to get there, because, even though it's a lovely road, it's through towns and up and over a mountain, and it was snowing. We took the motorway back. Even though that looks the longest route, you can't get lost, it's simple. And quicker because of the speed, although may be more expensive because of tolls and petrol.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ann, when I checked they gave me the route alongside the lake whether I asked for Annecy - Albertville OR Geneva - Albertville. You do begin to wonder when you do the "round the houses" through Annecy, but I don't think there's a better way. If you need a stop somewhere en route, it's very pleasant down by the lakeside in Annecy, with a big choice of restaurants alongside the river. Parking nearby. Have a great trip. You made a very good choice travelling Sunday rather than Saturday - hope that all those road problems reported from yesterday have now been sorted out. Looks like you're going to have plenty of snow, and more during the week.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Along the lake? Yes - I would have thought that better but I don;t know why it;s directing me through Chambery!

Anyway thanks - must go and catch the plane

Will ponder this on the plane!

Ann
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
justacey I think the N212 is the road that runs along the floor of the Arly Valley (between Sallanches and Albertville). It's not on any rational route between Geneva and Albertville. It does go through towns, but not over much in the way of mountains, if I recall correctly. The road I have suggested - down past Annecy Lake to Albertville - is flat as a pancake for much of the way, and presents no particular problems. It is a major mistake in Alpine navigation to look at a map and see what looks like being the shortest difference between two points.... you probably see some lovely country that way, but you'd see a lot of it twice in quick succession as mountain passes are closed. Generally motorways will be simpler, but in the case of Geneva - Albertville it's not obviously the best way and the road along the side of the lake is very pretty.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, You are right, I was exaggerating when I said "mountain". It's such a weaving road (If you don't get the straight south road) coming out of Geneva and we were heading east and it just looks such a long way round past Chambery, so I took the executive decision to cut cross country. I shan't be in charge of navigation again rolling eyes

It was mainly because of that evil journey last year that we went to Flaine this year and booked transfers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, I guess it also depends on whether you drive at the speed limit through towns. A lot of the road around Annecy Lake is at 50km/h.

Fastest for me is Autoroute via Chambery, you cover a lot of gound at 130km/h.

I would be tempted to use the N212 now that I know the area though, but wouldn't go into Sallanches.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs, if you DO use the N 212 how do you get to it without going into Sallanches? Maybe I'm missing something. Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When we stayed in Champagny-en-Vanoise, we went there via Annecy, and it took ages. When hubby was telling the hotelier why we were late, he said to go back via Chambery and the autoroute, and he was right.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs, your right, the autoroute via chambery is the fastest way to the 3V's.

pam w, it looks on paper to be a longer route going to chambery but it is defo quicker especially on saturday transfer days.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Turn off at Passy instead. There is a small road that goes up from Le Fayet to join the Megege - St. Gervais road near the road up to Bettex.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs, I'll have a look at that on my larger scale map, which is in France, and give it a try - looks interesting. Thanks. Is it OK in snow?
snow report
pam w, You can see it on Multimap if you zoom in far enough.

I only found it this season, so I wouldn't really know how well cleared it is.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy