Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix valley: avalanches

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Today we travelled from Chamonix to Verbier. After an epic start to the week it started raining in town and snowing higher up. This resulted in closure of Col du Montets (thanks very much those of you who reassured me that its kept open all year round) on Tuesday. Plan B was to go through Mt Blanc tunnel and GSt Bernard tunnel. No joy here either as the approach road to M Blanc tn was closed; yes due to an avalanche. This left us with no other options but to drive through Geneva and around lake Leman. To make matters worse part of the 'white' motorway, right buy the viaduct coming up to Sallanches was closed due a rock/mud slide on the Geneva bound carriageway. Anyway, 3 hoours later we arrive in the 4 valleys, to be welcomed by the rain. If you are driving in the region check your routes.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PP, sorry you had a bad trip, but the weather was exceptional. Looking back at your threads, you were told

"There are signs on most of the approach roads saying wether the col montets is open or closed. Usually open. "

which is absolutely true. It is usually open, but not always, when snow is bad. It's not one of the cols which is always closed all winter, just occasionally.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PP, you are so lucky. We took nearly six hours to do Champoluc to Chamonix via Morzine today... dull, dull, dull...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When a pass is open in the Winter it means there is no policy to suspend the traffic for the whole of the Winter, as the case of Petit St Bernard Pass.

There will be cases where a sudden heavy snow fall (or avalanches) that blocks the route which is temporarily closed until the workmen can clear it up, usually in a day or two.

Col Du Forclay is kept open in the Winter by both the French and Swiss authorities. If you live in the region you know it is a common occurence that the police would close a mountain pass for safety reason if the snow cannot be cleared quick enough by the workmen.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On Thursday I had to take the long route around the lake when driving from Les Arcs to Zinal. 80km as the crow flies, 5 hours by road!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PP, why didn't you just stay in Chamonix? Much better place to be.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You should have checked snowheads before setting out wink wink

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21980&start=120

I didn't post the col de Montets info because, well it is always closed when the risk is 5 in the area.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, the intention of my whinge was very TIC. wink

Jonpim, i absolutley agree but had not managed to convince others.

Just to cap it all off my wife just slipped on ice (walking!) and sustained a wrist fracture. Very impressed with Swiss medical service and excellent Bier's block (for those in the know).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

my wife just slipped on ice (walking!) and sustained a wrist fracture

ouch. I've known quite a few people that has happened to - one friend was just getting off the transfer bus, into resort, when she fell. I feel really scared and wobbly round icy pavements, and usually use a ski pole as a walking stick. In contrast, I feel completely unbothered about falling on the piste. I did fall on a pavement in January, and was delighted that my snowboarder's instinct (ie the self preservation instincts which came, eventually, to someone who spent a lot of time on her bottom...)kept my hands out of the way. I have some great waterproof apres-ski boots, bought in France, which have crampons underneath, which can be hinged away when not needed - but didn't have them on that day
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy