Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which skis for a female intermediate?

Poster: A snowHead
We are off on 31st March for a week and I would appreciate some help on skis to hire before I think about buying.

My first ski trip was when I was 11 (am now a begrudging 35 Embarassed ), I skied once a year at senior school and then between age 18 and 24 had 4 trips. Got married had 2 children and then started skiing again at 32 as a family. Since then I have had 6 trips and as I say the next one is at the end of the month. I am 5'2", weigh about 55kg and am reasonably fit.

I have never really taken too much notice of the skis that I have hired in the past but am now beginning to feel that I ought to take an interest in what I am attaching to my boots.

So what is my ability like? I have the confidence to tackle all the red runs I have come across (with the exception of the "Clair Blanc" in Les Arcs Skullie ), and am OK on some black runs although not that keen on moguls. I am very happy that I can get myself out of trouble if I need to and my technique is OK but it could be better. I tend to lean back a bit when I stop concentrating and I find that on steeper slopes when I do some short swings, speed tends to get the better of me and I lose some control. I also find that keeping a grip on ice can be a problem. I am not an agressive skiier but I do enjoy a challenge (except moguls Very Happy ).

All my skiing so far has been on-piste and I am happy with that for the moment although with children of 10 and 7 I know the day is fast approaching when on-piste won't be quite enough for them. (But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it rolling eyes) Each year I have shorter skis (at my request to try and resolve the control issue) and find them more responsive and that I do have more control and I guess that could be either just because the skis are shorter or because I am actually improving!!

In the last couple of years Mr Bungle and I have had some private lessons and have done some carving. This is something he can do much better than me as I find it hard to keep on the edges - guess I need to keep practising! Although our instructor did point out that in general I should try to use my edges more and this is an area that I would like to improve.

I have hired skis at 160cm, 158cm, 155cm and in Jan this year 148cm. I felt most in control on the 148cm skis although I did feel that there was a lot of movement(not sure of the correct technical term Sad ) when going straight and at speed. I don't think I will be going shorter than 148cm on this trip.

So can anyone tell me
1) what should I be looking for in a ski to help my technique improve?
2) does 148cm sound about right for me?
3) any suggestions as to what skis would be worth trying?

Thank you snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mrs Bungle, if you are thinking of buying skis, then make sure you try a few different ones during the week. What works well for one person, the next one hates etc.

The K2 family seemed to be well loved by a lot of the female snowHeads. I personally loved the Head Fast Thangs (they're a slalom ski), but didn't buy because I was looking for an all round ski.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mrs Bungle,

Most shops in resort will let you try before you buy, and knock any rental charges incurred off the sale price. K2 have some big fans with regard to their womens skis, but the most important thing is try various models and buy what suits you. I'd say 148cm is about right for you.
Quote:

lot of movement(not sure of the correct technical term ) when going straight and at speed.
Any short shaped ski is not going to be stable at high speed in a straight line, it wants to turn all of the time. Better to ski is a series of shallow arcs.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mrs Bungle, This thread may be of interest to you:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=566597&highlight=shortlist#566597
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mrs Bungle, Mrs Axs upgraded from her Rossi Sapphires this year to K2 Burnin Luvs (which seem popular on this forum as well). It has 'transformed' her skiing. She has gained huge confidence particularly on ice/hardpack as the K2's really hold an edge, and they also seem much more controllable in powder or through crud. Her only complaint is that (with their integrated bindings) they are noticeably heavier than the Sapphires (they are actually heavier than my B2's!), but she is developing biceps to cope Very Happy .

Two of the Axsettes have chosen Lotta Luv's as they are slightly more 'off-piste oriented, and they too have really enjoyed them. Hire both (and some others) and see how you get on. BTW Mrs Axs would probably describe her abilities as very similar to yours.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B, Spyderman, boredsurfin, AxsMan,

Thank you for your help - I can see I am going to have a busy week Laughing Laughing I have had a look on the web at where we can hire from and they certainly have some K2 skis. Roll on 31st March - 28 more sleeps!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mrs Bungle, don't worry - I'm sure only two or three of them will go with your green and white Helly Hansen outfit wink

my I'm so brave when posting from my office.....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bungle, no no no no no. You just don't understand. You buy the skis and then have to buy a new outfit to match wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arrrgh they're ganging up on me........ Razz
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elizabeth B, Now that is a good idea
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe I'm a little late to the party, but I recently tried the Nordica line of skis and really enjoyed them.
Skis in their line up I'd try if I were you:

Olympia Victory(womans version of the eliminator) 74 in the waist
Olympia Conqueror(womans version of the Nitrous) 78 in the waist
Olympia Speed(womens version of the speedmachine 14)69 or 70 in the waist

Of those three, I like the conqueror a lot!!!

http://www.nordica.com/ski/scheda.php?s=8&target=463
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mrs Bungle, we're similar height and probably similar ability, although I'm a bit lighter than you. I have been told by my instructor(s) that I am good at carving, despite being relatively inexperienced as a skier.

I absolutely think 148 is the right kind of length for a modern carving ski. I have 147 Volkl Attiva 4*, and am looking to upgrade to 5* in due course, although they come in a minimum 154. However both lengths would be OK - somewhere in the middle probably optiumum. I personally like the Volkls because they don't go for very extreme sidecuts. Contrary to a lot of popular thinking, you don't need an extreme sidecut to carve - mine have an 11.5m radius, and this works well for me, however a lot of longer skis go for the same radius and hence are much more radically cut, and I've found you have to push quite hard if you are light to bend the ski and get the whole edge working on the snow.

Oh yes, and if you go for the shorter length, it is much easier to ski bumps!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
docsquid, My SO has the Attiva 5S , absolutely loves them . Same height as you - a 'tad' heavier, 10+ years older than Mrs Bungle and she says they're superb at all speeds .. praises them on 'icy' pistes particularly ..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowHot, docsquid, Agenterre,

Thank you for your thoughts. I have just read a good review of the Volkl Attiva 4* too - I do wonder whether part of my problem with edge control is my weight and size and not having quite the right skis. I also saw a review of some other skis recently which said that they were particularly for those under 65kgs.

I watched our instructor in January and he really made his skis bend as he turned which is something I can only dream about doing at the moment.

I certainly have a growing list of skis to try snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mrs Bungle, yes, you want ones that you can bend effectively at your weight/strength but also that don't twist. If they twist they will tend to break away when you apply the pressure, particularly as you go to progressively larger edge angles.

That said, I'd also really like to try some GS-type skis, however not in the full 181 GS length (ridiculously long for me), largely because Mr DS goes really fast when he's got some, and I'd like to see what I can do on longer skis with a much larger turn radius. I'd like to try Atomic kids' GS race skis, but no hire shops will hire kiddies skis to adults, unfortunately. Maybe they'll have something suitable in Austria when we go in a couple of weeks' time.
snow report
Mrs Bungle, My good lady is of a very similar ability level to yourself and also similar hieght / weight (5'1" / 55kgs)

I've always advised he to go for shorter ski's to build confidence and she actually ski's 144 / 145cm ski's now. The model she's taken to most were the Volkl Attiva's but I can't remember which one.

As far as your "straight line wobble" goes, you'll almost always get it on shaped ski's. I've always found the best way to combat it is to slightly tilt the ski's onto their inside edges when going in a straight line, or not to go in a straight line at all but tilt both ski's the same way into a huge wide turn which is usable even on the roads so prevalent in some resorts.
snow report
My wife and I bought skis for the first time this year, and it was a great experience. The sales guy chatted to us for about half an hour and then grabbed a seemingly random pair of skis for each of us out of the huge stock in the shop. And he got it right first time. We tried his recommendations and then tested some other skis, but he knew what we needed better than we did.

Having the right skis has made a huge difference. Like you, my wife is very light (about 50kg), and he recommended some Salomon Siam N5's for her. We're certainly not experts, but we do tentatively enjoy North American double black runs, and many advisors would have passed these skis by in search of something more advanced and with a correspondingly higher profit margin. But, given her weight, these were certainly the best choice - she was more stable at speed when she tried some stiffer skis, but she couldn't keep going in them all day. The Siam N5's also have apparently have some features that help improve posture for women who, so I was advised, have a slightly different centre of gravity to men (those child-bearing hips, I guess!) For Mrs Jonny, her new skis mean better control in the bumps, easier carving, greater stability at speed and visibly improved posture when compared with any hired skis she'd ever tried before.

What I learned is that it's good to research skis before you buy, but it's even better to find a decent expert to help you choose what you need. Siam N5's may be perfect for you, but they also might be totally inappropriate - you need to talk and try before you buy.
latest report
docsquid, Good luck on your quest in Austria Very Happy

Jonny Jones, They sound like just what I need - improved posture, easier carving and better control in the bumps.

SnowGod, Perhaps I will go for slightly shorter skis for this trip too.

I am going to contact several ski hire shops in resort to find out what their range is and then try as many as I can. I really think that having the right equipment will help me (not sure Mr Bungle will feel the same though rolling eyes rolling eyes ).

Thanks everyone - will let you know how I get on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy