Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Anniviers, 2-5 March 2007

Poster: A snowHead
For a change of scene I'm skiing Zinal and Grimentz this weekend, staying with ise in his very lovely new chalet. There's been a lot of snow in the last few days, but with fairly warm temperatures it has a fairly high water content so un-pisted snow is very heavy at lower altitudes, making a mockery of my feeble off-piste technique. On piste conditions were generally very good, although the runs into the village were very weird because they were water saturated then frozen - unlike anything I've skied on before. Skiing today (at Grimentz) was hampered by occasional poor visibility and by limits to the number of lifts that were open because of the high avalanche risk (4) keeping the pisteurs busy all day. Saw some very dramatic, and very sobering, avalanches triggered by explosives or gasex cannons. One in particular was huge, taking out the entire slope. Had a wonderful Rosti for lunch, and did a few laps on an old 2-seat chairlift which was playing very Swiss accordion and yodeling music all day! Definitely knew I was in Switzerland Smile Also waved hello to brian's apartment next to the Grimentz gondola. Very nice!

It snowed lightly this morning and is snowing lightly now, with a heavier snowfall expected tomorrow. Our plan was to do a little bit of touring so I had rented some touring kit today (Legend 4800s, skins touring bindings) so spent a little bit of time trying out skins for the first time - bit easier than I expected it to be, but with continued avalanche forecast likely to be high we've abandoned that plans so I swapped my Legends for a pair of Stockli Snakes BC. Will be interested to see how they compare to my Karmas, but I doubt they'll work miracles with my off-piste abilities rolling eyes

No photos I'm afraid as forgot camera Embarassed

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 3-03-07 18:40; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar,
Great to hear that, hope the snow condtitions pick up for the off-piste.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've been in Laax today and conditions sound identical - superb high, wet and heavy low
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar,

Snakes BC..... Cool Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT wrote:
rob@rar,

Snakes BC..... Cool Cool

Worth it, if only for the graphics Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A fun day skiing around St Luc and Chandolin. Limited terrain was available in the morning because of very high avalanche risk and very high wind. Snow above 2000m was excellent, very silky smooth. Below that it was very heavy because of rain at resort level overnight and this morning. Hopefully the weather will be slightly better tomorrow and more terrain should open up as the pisteurs have been flinging explosives left, right and centre. The Swiss guys do love their big bangs!

Highlights of the day were the wild ride up a St Luc drag lift which had lots of wind blown snow on it and turned into a real adventure with huge ridges and troughs to navigate, and sampling the cholera at one of the St Luc huts. More details in ise's blog shortly Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
sampling the cholera

Some photos from today courtesy of ise's blog.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Today was a good day Smile Smile

Blue skies and no wind, the complete opposite of the last couple of days. ise and I skied Zinal, where the snow on-piste was in terrific condition and off-piste heavy but skiable, even for me. The day started off in dramatic fashion as the pisteurs released a huge avalanche which purged a vast quantity of snow off the mountain. Debris reached the valley floor, and the powder cloud from the slide actually made it up the other side of the valley! Everywhere you look there are natural or induced avalanche scars, often to frightening depths. Today the avalanche risk was down to 3 from 4 of the last couple of days, so we had some terrific off-piste runs as more of the bowl around Zinal began to be opened up. The Zinal Freeride competition took place this weekend, so it was quite amazing to see some of the lines that the Freeride competitors were taking down gullies and couloirs, often at amazing speed. Awe inspiring, to say the least!

More photos of conditions at ise's blog in a little while.
latest report
 brian
brian
rob@rar, good stuff ! Was Monsieur Walrus operating the 2 seat chair with the accordion music ? Quite a guy Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian wrote:
Was Monsieur Walrus operating the 2 seat chair with the accordion music ? Quite a guy Laughing

YES! He's a jolly fellow Smile

Early finish today (for me at least, Ian's still up there in the cloud and the snow). On-piste conditions are superb, off-piste still very heavy. This morning was a little overcast but generally great skiing conditions; snowing since lunch time. It's fairly warm, but snow at resort level.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Quite a guy

quite a gent too - he swept the snow off the seats with a broom when I went up with a friend in heavy snowfall a few weeks ago.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some photos from today (courtesy of ise). It was fairly bright first thing, and the view down the valley was amazing:

The Comb Durand provided some wonderful off-piste opportunities, although the snow could have been a bit lighter:

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
that bottom one looks like you've been round in a circle !

good pics [thumbs up]
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
debbi wrote:
that bottom one looks like you've been round in a circle !

Upside down once or twice, but sadly not round in a full circle Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, looking good Very Happy What happened to the lime green?
snow conditions
RachelQ wrote:
rob@rar, looking good Very Happy

Thanks, although I carefully selected the photos. Sometimes it looks like this:

RachelQ wrote:
What happened to the lime green?

Saving it for the EOSB - want it to look as shiny and bright as possible Wink
snow report
rob@rar, I think you need to get your weight back a bit more wink
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar, I think you need to get your weight back a bit more wink

Laughing That was the point of no return. A second later I was digging myself out of the snow Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy