Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dutchman to climb Everest in his boxers

Poster: A snowHead
Werner de Jong, a Dutch extreme climber is going to attempt the 8800 meter Everest in nothing more than a pair of shorts:-

http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?news=15688

It is all about inner fire and cups of hot, beefy bovril (a trick he learned from Chris Bonnington). The climber has already climbed Mont-Blanc, Europe's (ahem) highest mountain in his keks. The climb is sponsored by Ready-Brek.... allegedly.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof, What a looney. Is he going to take a "plaggy bag" for the descent?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is he from Newcastle?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Christ, now the Dutch have better loonies than us. We'll never hear the last.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

cups of hot, beefy bovril

Quote:

The climb is sponsored by Ready-Brek.... allegedly

then hot, beefy, Ready-Brek would seem more appropriate. Perhaps he uses that to make a hot poultice for his dangly bits?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What wasn't mentioned in the article is that Werner doesn't yet think he could handle a friday night out in Newcastle yet.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What a weirdo! Who wears boxers?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I remember many a friday night in Aberdeen as a student. We were rather fond of the foam parties, and would wear only a t-shirt for the bracing walk into the city. Baltic on the walk home as we were soaked with foam. We woz ard.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnboy wrote:
and would wear only a t-shirt for the bracing walk into the city.

I know that nothing is worn under the kilt, but that seems a bit extreme. Didn't the locals object?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
Werner de Jong,.

Does he post on TGR? wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can see he's nuts
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boris, not after he's climbed Everest, I'll wager.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Muppet
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tuck Thong wrote:
Muppet

Boris, laundryman or the Dutchman?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richmond, I have no reason to believe that Boris is a muppet.
snow report
Mmmm. If you read the whole article it is not quite as advertised.
1. "The expedition, led by Dutch Werner de Jong, will try to set a new world record as Wim attempts to climb parts of Everest wearing only shorts."
2. "Wim will wear Everest boots, shorts, gloves and a cap. He is carrying his own backpack which will give him some extra protection."
3. "Wim will use oxygen support and won't do the entire climb in shorts."
4. "The expedition will set regular camp 1 on North Col (7000 m) and camp 2 on 7900 meters. But Werner plans an extra camp on 7500 meters for this attempt. "During breaks I'll give him clothes and hot drinks to keep him warm. When we start climbing again, he'll undress.""

But I don't think this takes anything away from the idea. I think it sensible. The whole thing seems to have been carefully thought through. I am all for pushing human endurance to the limit. The actual arrangements give some chance of some sort of success.
If he manages to summit that would be approaching miraculous.
ski holidays
What exactly does it prove. Ridiculous. If he did it without sleeping bags & nude girls breaks then it might be an achievement!
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
Christ, now the Dutch have better loonies than us. We'll never hear the last.

Laughing No word from stanton yet...
latest report
Jonpim,did you really say, I think it sensible.
oh yeh thats why i drove to work backwards today and ate all my catfood sannies for lunch,washed down with alittle brake fluid.
snow conditions
this man is either going to die or end up trussed up in a down suit like everyone else, having left his ideals behind in a fit of summit fever.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Werner de Jong, a Dutch extreme climber is going to attempt the 8800 meter Everest in nothing more than a pair of shorts:-

Those airline luggage restrictions are beginning to bite a bit.
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
I think it sensible.

Interesting use of the word 'sensible', presumably to mean not necessarily 100% suicidal and entirely pointless.
ski holidays
Not sure this guy is any more stupid than those who sail single handed the major oceans. Or row the oceans. Or windsurf the Atlantic Shocked. Or walk to the poles. Or who take part in Free-diving competitions. Or free climbing. Or even just climbing Everest normally:
Quote:
"Between 1921 and 2004, Everest has been climbed by more than 2,200 people from twenty countries. More than 185 have lost their lives, making the odds on not coming down alive about one in eight."
I agree it seems a crazy idea, but he has a track record of survival in extreme conditions, including extreme cold. He is going with a good back-up team. He is not going bare-foot. He has done a lot of preparation.
(And a lot of my friends and colleagues think skiing pretty daft.)
latest report
Jonpim, i think the difference here is this guy is intending from the outset to be insufficiently equipped for the task. as you rightly point out climbing everest is a deadly undertaking but to think that you could survive for any period of time above 7000m wearing only a pair pants is arrogant beyond belief. exposed flesh gets frostbitten within minutes at those altitiudes. the pure ideals of alpinism are one thing, but to have this little respect for the world's highest mountain leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
ski holidays
he will be in his boxers just long enough to have his picture taken.. then its back into the sleeping back and onto a sherpas back for the next ascent..
latest report
There were a couple of blokes getting photo'd in their boxers outside Bank station this lunchtime. Slightly more hospitable but slightly more humiliating than Everest, I suppose.
ski holidays
Been there... done it Laughing

latest report
They were swim shorts though - do they count?
latest report
 Darky
Darky
So do you think that dude would walk through one of the hottest desert's wearing full snow gear!?? Laughing

....Same to Scarpa! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Darky
Darky
Your Crazy ass, now your even posting pics of your handmade play things???? How bad! You will go to hell for that!! Shocked
ski holidays
Allegedly to avoid losing his toes through frostbite Mr Jong will be wearing specially developed highly insulated/inflatable Dutch foot wear for the Everest attempt. I reckon he will pop his clogs though.
snow report
Mr Jong has abandonned his attempt at 7400 meters after getting frostbite in his toes.
ski holidays
I presume his core body temperature would have been low due to his vitual nakedness. I remember reading that the when this happens the body diverts blood away from the extremities like feet, and into the vital organs.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, yup, true. (that's why people with cold feet when skiing are recommended to wear something warm on their head)

Now that the Dutchman has failed, we DEFINITELY won't hear from stanton on this thread!
snow conditions
Com'on, there must be someone out there who will do it in a pair of union jack shorts Twisted Evil Just think of the prestige, imagine straight off a beach here in Spain to Everest. Toofy Grin
latest report
All he needed was a few pints of Kroney and a beer jacket.
latest report
... on a similar theme.

Quote:
Brit to swim at North Pole

A British explorer and endurance swimmer is to attempt to swim in the freezing waters of the North Pole.

Lewis Gordon Pugh, 37, will be the first person to swim at the geographic North Pole.

Water temperatures will be around minus 1.8 degrees Celsius - the coldest waters a human has ever swum in, a spokesperson said.

Pugh's ability to raise his body temperature in anticipation of a swim has intrigued sports scientists and earned him the nickname The Polar Bear.

He is making the 1km swim, in an area that should be frozen over, to demonstrate the devastating impacts of climate change.

Pugh will swim in just a swimming costume, cap and goggles for the Investec North Pole Challenge on July 15.

He said: "I can't think of a better way to show that climate change is a reality than by swimming in a place that should be totally frozen over.

"This will be, by far, the hardest swim I've ever undertaken. I hope it will help illustrate the incredible seriousness of climate change and put pressure on the leaders of the G8 summit to cut carbon emissions dramatically."

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2352633.html
latest report
Hah! I knew a true-blue, certifiably insane Brit wouldn't allow the Dutch to hold the stupidly-dangerous-and-utterly-pointless exploit world record for long.

Eat you're heart out, stanton! NehNeh
snow conditions
complete nutters IMO both the Dutchman and the Brit
snow report
What's even more amazing is that the Brit isn't from Newcastle but Plymouth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Gordon_Pugh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy