Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern snow snow and more snow!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are on our last day here and it has been snowing on and off all week, the piste bashers can hardly keep up with the amounts falling, and conditions are perfect. There was no shortgage in this resort before these recent falls, but these latest dumps should ensure good conditions to the end of the season (May) until the spring thaw starts. Only down side has been that we haven't been able to do any lunch time sunbathing! So if you are looking for a last minute trip or Easter trip in Austria, or just somewhere with great conditions, this could be the place. Off for breakfast now - and to ski, ski, ski!!!

PS. Gamsleiten Hotel is very good, great food, great location, good sized rooms.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sharon1953,

Good to hear that - planning on going there end of March snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi sharon1953, what's the village and apres like ?? we're looking for somewhere to go next weekend (8th - 11th)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RichA, the village is quite charming and the apre from what we could see/hear was as they say "banging" !!!!! Try to stay in the main part of the village, ie Gamsleiten Lift area. Have fun.

PS. when the sun does come out, snow is better quality pm, on Gamsleiten side of valley, but having said that, it's pretty good everywhere.

PPS. For apre, try the bar called Luzer Alm, near the Hotel Frau Holle, very long wooden building with split level floors, stone seats, lots of seperate bars and huge glass unbrella bar at the end. Never seen anything quite like it, but after 3pm it's standing room only!!!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 4-03-07 15:15; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arrived back last night and it was still snowing, and expected to continue all week. The conditions were perfect, but the continuous snow fall meant that in the mornings, there was little evidence that the piste bashers had been around! This was our first visit to the resort, and we decided after only 2 days that we would be returning for many years. It seemed to have everything we have been looking for, although not as chocolate box picturesque as some traditional Austrian resorts, it certainly does not resemble a French purpose made resort. The ski area is split into woodland runs, and wide open motorway bowls. Although not the longest vertical drops, it makes up for it with a modern, fast lift system of chairs, and a good variety of reds and blues. The piste map and markings in this resort are its only downfall. All the lifts are numbered, but not the runs! So keep the map with you at all times, and familiarise yourself with the names of the lifts and the way they connect before setting out. Although there are 2 circuits on the map, with linked lifts, for the runs outside of these circuits you will have to try and connect yourself, and with no numbers or names, it’s not easy if you want to stick to blues! But if you are confident enough to ski either reds or blues, this slight annoyance won’t concern you. On our way home, we had only been travelling downhill for about 3 miles and it was raining, so the altitude of this resort is its jewel.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sharon1953, thpught you would enjoy it
We are booked again for 2008
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Garfield, We are too, just need to get everyone rounded up, as taking sons, their partners and their friends too!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree Sharon it is really good around Luzeralm and did you apres in the edelweisshutte(sp) at the top of the floodlight piste? unreal!

Were there enough kilometres for everyone because as i mentioned in an earlier thread, we felt it is a really good snow sure resort, handy for Salzburg but does not quite have enough pistes for a full week. The apres is great too...

Where did you stay and how was it?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
northantsred, we stayed at the Gamsleiten Hotel just at the bottom of the lift, coudn't fault the place, no swimming pool but wouldn't have had the energy for one anyway! We haven't skied a large proportion of the resort yet, as we spent quite a lot of time around the Gamsleiten and Edelweiss area, and only ventured over to the Kringsalm area once, where we got lost and took a taxi home from the car park at the bottom of the Grunwaldkopf! I'm a timid skier with a bad knee and the other lady in the party is pretty much at the same level, so it takes us a while to feel confident to venture off, and we found some of the blues a little challenging (or my knee did, which I am now having to have operated on) but the men did ski off and loved it, and because of the layout of the runs, they could keep joining us without too much travelling. We are a bit past clocking up the miles, don't start the day till 10 am ish, stop for long lunch, and finish at about 3.30 pm so there was plenty for us. We never got to the Edelweiss hut, we got free afternoon tea at the hotel at 4pm! and that seemed too good to miss, but no doubt our sons, who will be joining us next year, will take full advantage of the 3 pm onwards mayhem that we've heard so much about, and the night skiing, which looked very cold!! We wish we'd had some sun, but the snow was perfect, so you can't have everything.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
4 weeks and counting for me snowHead

You guys are really whetting my appetite now Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro, You'll love the place, once you've grasped the map!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro,
When exactly are you going? We'll be out there from March 31st for a week snowHead Cool snowHead
Can't wait....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hywel, 1st April for me and the family. We are staying at the Hotel Schneider snowHead snowHead snowHead I've only just got back from L2A, but am looking forward to this like anything Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yes I agree the map is the worst I have ever witnessed, why is it so bad? really sorry to hear about your injury and hope the op cures it. I didn't see much difference between the blues and reds, if anything the blues were sometimes wider but little else in the way of difficulty.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
northantsred, well I wrote to the tourist office to complain, I guess if enough people do that, they might get the message!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy