Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much wax should be left after scraping?

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Val Thorens at end of March so thought I would give the ski's a bit of a service. I had a look at Jonpim's site and I pretty much understand the edge prep stuff but being a 'wax virgin' I have have a question. Once the wax is ironed onto the surface and allowed to cool thoroughly how much should be left on? It mentions repeating the process several times, I assume you leave some behind but I am unsure whether you should scrape it all off or scrape off just some until its smooth and build it up in layers by applying more each time and scrape that of as well.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin Vince, Wax should be in the base not on it so once the wax has cooled the excess on the surface needs to be scraped off (until you can see the base structure). The base then needs to be brushed to clean out the wax from the structure. Check-out my tuning guide on my website.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin Vince, a nice straight plexiglass scraper should be used to remove as much as the wax as possible. I'd strongly recommend a proper nylon base brush to expose the structure Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What would happen if you didn't scrape off excess wax and just skied on a thick layer of wax? Would the skis be very sticky?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lower, Yes, very.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lower, they also pick up a load of crap from the snow. I know this as I borrowed a pair of skis for a couple of hours last week in a place where the snow cover wasn't too good and there was lots of mud and grass strewn around. The skis were pretty sticky which I noticed most when shuffling to the drag lift. when I took the skis off there was a thick layer of gunge just back from the tips that consisted of a nice mix of wax, dirt, grass, mud and all sorts of other gunge. If you scrape and brush the bases properly then the poo-poo don't stick.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
in my experience, if you don't scrape, the snow will scrape it off for you very quickly.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, I agree. Over the years I have experimented and find very little difference, whilst we all want our equipment to be in top order we are not all looking for the 100ths of a second per run, just drop the scraper in your pocket and if you feel really bad scrape on the mountain! I have scraped one ski only as a test and yes when I started my first run there was a big difference BUT at the end of the run I could not feel any difference. Go on live dangerously, after all, how heavy is a plexiglass scraper?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My observations:
It certainly does make a difference when 'traversing' flattish areas. **

The brush polishes inside the structure, hardening the surface of your wax of the day, and if you have your structure right its only half the average snow grain size. Scraping is thus only the first part of the process.

Low-friction bases make for more easily felt edging sensation and therefore better controlled edge angle modulation. *

Maybe I'm not as fortunate as some, there is never a part of the mountain/skimolehill that isn't either below -15 or slushy, and brushing and polishing makes any wax I use less sensitive to temperature swings.

* One of the interesting experiences of testing different waxes on mine and friends' skis, particularly friends who don't have significant tuning experience and on wider-waist skis, is that they feel the skis are slippery and sliding out from under them, almost harder to 'edge' in low-speed situations and harder to stay on top of when just standing around. I am beginning to think that there is, unnoticed by most, a lot of side bracing using high-friction areas of the base instead of the edges proper, again in low speed situations like getting off the lift and regrouping to wait for friends.

** On longer skis for my own use, say 184cm or more, I've taken to -not- scraping the very center on the last wax coat, from the toepiece of the binding to about 4cm behind the heel. This lets me shuffle-glide on flats using the unscraped area almost like the kick wax of a nordic ski. Works pretty well on runouts like the bottom of Cecret lift at Snowbird or at Alta.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, great post Cool.

I'm amazed at the number of people who after purchasing skis (presumably for better performance than rentals) & then tuning the edges & waxing the bases to maintain that performance then don't spend a few extra minutes to scrape & brush the bases rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After waxing my skis, I scrape and then brush them as advised. The first time I did this I had to check that I was folllowing the instructions correctly! It seemed a little odd taking the trouble to put a nice, fresh layer of wax on the skis, and then scraping it all off. Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jumpin Jack, 'tis tempting to collect the scrapings by doing the job over a clean sheet, and then re-using them!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Perhaps collecting them and melting them down to create a lovely scented candle could be the perfect gift for the one you love ...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jumpin Jack, you may not wish to burn fluoro wax. Much, much better used to seal the cement in the drive. snowHead I got some funny looks when I used it to seal home-bottled beverages Cool but it did work really well to wax road bike chains. I've offered it as a bottom treatment to my kayaking friends, but they're a leettle reluctant. Puzzled wink Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, I take it your kayaking friends all have hairy bottoms - or do they live in Kemptown?
snow report
Jumpin Jack wrote:
Perhaps collecting them and melting them down to create a lovely scented candle could be the perfect gift for the one you love ...

For shame!!! Earwax makes for a more personal gift Laughing
snow report
Scarpa,
Quote:

For shame!!! Earwax makes for a more personal gift

Yes but how do you get it out scrape or scrape and brush? wink
snow conditions
Just follow the guide by Ren and Stimpy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy