Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A is for Asthma

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a friend (yes, really...) who wants to take the family on their first ski trip, but her 12 year old daughter, despite being very sporty, gets quite bad bouts of asthma and she is worried about that.

I wondered if anyone had any experience of ski holidays as an asthmatic/with an asthmatic child and whether there were any insights/advice I could pass on to my friend. I was hoping the clear mountain air should be a good thing (?) but what do I know... Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
my 11 year old son has bouts of asthma at home - can be really quite nasty, but he NEVER suffers in the mountains - may be why he loves it so much Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The cleaner air may help.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
also I think the dryness, it does seem worse over here when the weather is damp and the pressure low ... he had a bad attack the other night when we had a big thunderstorm
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ive got asthma and I take my puff everywhere with me. Mind you it tends to stay in my pocket whilst out skiing as the air seems to be much fresher and cleaner. (IMO & experience)

poma, I get it bad when its damp and thundery. Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I to have asthma - the mountian air really does clear my lungs, very rarely need my inhaler out there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowhunter, I have been asthmatic since a very early age, when god was a boy, and had terrible hay fever to add my demise for many years. I was lucky enough to get a job near Geneva in the late 80's and lived on the French/Swiss border for 4 years. My hay fever vanished in the first Summer, and has still not reappeared and will not I am sure. My asthma problems diminished, I am sure it was the drier atmosphere and clean air that were responsible.

I am sure your friends sporty daughter will not even think about her asthma when she is on holiday skiing.

Also our Son is 11 and is a mild asthmatic and has never had any problems whilst out skiing with me/us. I just have a problem keeping up with him snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am an asthmatic (very mild now but out of habit always carry my ventolin around) but when i was younger it always used to improve when in the Alps.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am asthmatic and I never seem to suffer as badly up a mountain! It is mild though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many locations in the Alps have been used as locations for allergy research, mainly because the air their seems cleaner and less prone to causing allergy attacks, My father suffered with asthma but never once had an attack in the Alps, I would say so long as the child takes the same precautions as she would when at home she shouldn't have any problems
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm asthmatic, never yet had to use my inhalers on the slopes, have to be wary of the automatic spray air fresheners in some toilets but thats something I have to be aware of at home too. I'm sure your friend will have the sense to make sure her kid knows where her own medication is and that if she takes lessons to let the instructor know also.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm another asthmatic, pretty mild (never had any hospital visits or anything), but bad enough that I have a steroid inhaler. I've had no special problems skiing in the mountains. I agree that if anything the cold dry air is much better for me than the damp Manchester air!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy