Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A very sobering sight...

Poster: A snowHead
...it's not every day that you nearly get run down by a ski-doo. But I nearly did today on Pleney D in Morzine. They were in a hell of a rush.

It was only when I got around the corner a few minutes later and saw the guy from the ski-doo giving someone CPR that I realised why he was in so much of a rush.

It's not often you see the whole of a ski slope stop - but there weren't many people skiing.

I've no idea how it turned out becuase we moved on, but it didn't look good.

I don't know what happened, but judging by the police waiting at the bottom of Pleney I'm guessing it was a collision.

Be careful out there.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PhillipStanton, makes you think

As you say probably a collision, but OTH people do have heart attacks - and anyone with a weak heart who starts excercise at altitude......
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PhillipStanton, Tracy wasn't on the back was she...?

Grim though...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
............... I've seen something similar only a child was involved, very sobering.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I,ve seen quite a few CPR beiing administered.
Once in Telluride even saw two ski patrol guys with rescue sledge coming down a trail to town & there was yet another ski patrol guy ontop of the patient in the sledge admisitering CPR. You could clearly see the efforts this guy was going to to try to revive her.
The victim I believe a young female Ski Instructor who later died. It turned out she had a known heart problem but just loved the sport.
Following night the Ski Instructors did a Torch light procession down the mountain in memory.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
These sort of things are very sobering. Feb 2005, the first winter I was in Kirkwood, one weekend I'd been assigned as the lead operator for the beginner/early intermediate chairs at Timber Creek. While I was on chair 7 a fairly hefty guy fell off a chair about half way up, he fell along way. Shocked

The first patrollers were on the scene within seconds as a couple had just set off from the top of the chair. More and more arrived and they never moved the guy for a long long time, they just kept working on him under the chair. It was obviously not good, and people who'd gone up the chair where feeding us at the bottom bits of info as they came back - this ever more sinking feeling.

The guy had a massive heart attack just after patrol arrived. Later found out he didn't make it back to the medical room. Sad

It was a kind of horrible feeling that I couldn't really describe on finding the outcome. My flat mate had been working in lodge reception that night, when the guys wife and teenage son turned up looking for their husband/son. The resort President had to break the news - Can't imagine having to do that. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ultimately skiing is a risky sport - deaths will occur, thankfully few and far between. But not nice when it happens, I knew several people who were killed cycling, a sport I used to participate in a lot.

I would guess that as a per capita figure, skiing is actually very safe given the number of people who take part.

What's the alternative though - stay at home and take no risks? I panic every time I take my kids somewhere risky, be that skiing, cycling, to the beach, wherever. However I want them to enjoy life not be wrapped in cotton wool.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the thing to note about the above is there is nothing that really suggests that it was the skiing that caused the deaths, it was just that they happened to be skiing when they died. I think there is a subtle difference
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think I've mentioned this before somewhere on this forum, but I've been involved in giving CPR to a male skier in Andorra. I was the first one there - I saw a chap lying at the side of the piste, on his back, head slightly downhill, so I went over to him, took my skis off, knelt down and saw he was grey and didn't seem to be breathing. You can't believe how relieved I was when just as I was about to try and remember the CPR I'd learnt on a 1 day first aid course a woman skiied up who was a Brit on holiday and a paramedic, so she took over and I stayed with her with my finger on his pulse.

There was not much sign of life in the guy - his eyes fluttered open now and then, but his pulse was hardly there. We knew someone had gone down to the bottom of the piste to get the liftie to phone for help, and after some time a guy came running UP the piste, obviously upset. He was the son of the chap we were trying to help, and had been waiting for his dad to catch up at the bottom of the run. He said his dad had a very dodgy heart but insisted on skiing because he loved it so much. Eventually the paramedics turned up and we left. I had put my ski gloves under his head to keep it freezing on the snow, and they went with him in the helicopter - I didn't have the heart to ask for them back.

It was quite a long way back to the town and by the time I was down my hands were beyond feeling and I was shaking from the shock of the whole thing when some friends from our group came up to me and told me my son was in the clinic and had broken his leg Shocked

The old guy didn't make it, I never got my gloves back, my son's leg eventually mended but that was probably the worst day of my life.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

What's the alternative though - stay at home and take no risks? I panic every time I take my kids somewhere risky, be that skiing, cycling, to the beach, wherever. However I want them to enjoy life not be wrapped in cotton wool.

Glad I am not the only one to feel it (nothing like watching your young four year old being led to the chair lift for the first time by the ESF instructor, your heart in your mouth watching from behind a tree, fighting the urge to ski down and rescue her from the frightening potential calamity that was surely to happen if she went on it...I didnt...she was fine!)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
martski, yep when my twin boys ski'd off with the instructor I was a wreck - but they were ok.

I was also a wreck the first time I left them at nursery, school, overnight at grandparents wink Embarassed

Life is for living - get out their and enjoy it
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ours couldn't wait to get rid of us, the first time we dropped them off at the grandparents for a weekend away.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laundryman, Boris, lucky you both we don't get that option (to leave kids with grandparents) - we live with my parents, and the fact that they always stand in for us day to day means I never feel that I can ask them to look after the kids for an additional weekend, so I never get any time off !!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris wrote:

I would guess that as a per capita figure, skiing is actually very safe given the number of people who take part.

Most dangerous sport per participant is apparently fishing: #1 cause is heart attacks due to lack of exercise, #2 is overhead power lines.
Quote:

Totally utterly agree. Everything in life has a degree of risk, and if you eliminate that risk, you typically just introduce another.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RobW, My grandfather died of pneumonia on an icy day sitting by the side of river with his fishing rod in hand. Mind you in old age I can't say that I'd knock that as a way to go, though apparently it was enormously difficult to sort everything out as apparently he was miles from no-where.
ski holidays
Megamum, perhaps the poor old sod just needed to be thawed out. Still as you say, going with your rod in your hand isn't such a bad prospect.
latest report
richmond, Whose motto is 'never miss a trick!!' rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
One does one's poor best.
latest report
Hey, I'll have to look out - it will be 1000 posts soon!!
ski holidays
If you want to do it in style Megamum, try and get your 1,000th to be The Piste's 100,000th
snow report
Boris wrote:

True or we'd read more tragic stories on this forum. However, I've personally been very close by three deaths on the slopes... 2 heart attacks and one due to a head on collision. (Honestly, I had nothing to do with any of 'em). It certainly shakes you up though... one guy in his late 40s just keeled over in a beginners class knocking over the folks below him. They all thought it hilarious until the instructor dived in to start the CPR. Declared dead at the scene half an hour later. Second one was a lady skiing in really heavy slush - she collapsed and died at the end of the run. In their own way both circumstances would be exhausting (esp at altitude). Couple that with dehydration, late nights etc and it surprises me that we don't hear about more. I'm not sure I subscribe to the old "if yer time's up yer time's up so go for it" view - I'm sure we can all relate to times like trying to find a lost ski in deep deep powder when your heart is banging on the ribcage trying to get out. There's only so much of that the human ticker can take at altitude and it's avoidable.
snow conditions
People die all the time.
Because your doing a your sport you just associate the death with the sport.
Folk die on the Golf course,Football Field , Shopping Mall , behind the wheel of the car. anywhere.
If they didnt die in front of you they would of died somewhere else.
latest report
stanton, agree to an extent, although a healthy person may not drop dead shopping, while they may after a sking accident involving speed and a tree. As mentioned above though, remove one risk and it is replaced by another
snow report
stanton, Of course we all die but it's not compulsory to do it prematurely up a mountain. Funny you should mention the example, but my cousin did actually drop dead at the wheel of his car... pulled up at traffic lights and didn't pull away again (mid 50s, kept fit). Clearly he would have died anyway so falls into your "die all the time" category. I just think some people underestimate the effects of altitude, temperature, dehydration, hard excercise etc etc when on a ski trip.
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
stanton, agree to an extent, although a healthy person may not drop dead shopping, while they may after a sking accident involving speed and a tree. As mentioned above though, remove one risk and it is replaced by another

Interesting you mention healthy.

How many people really know if there healthy or fit ?

From the outside many people can appear health & fit . Take this guy for example , just goes to show .

http://www.squashsite.co.uk/alan_frame.htm
snow conditions
Dutch man (59) fell over head first into a snowbank in Lech yesterday (RIP).

Never know when my time's up but I'd rather die doing something I like doing.
snow report
stanton, yep, my doctor always says "don't confuse fitness with health".
snow report
Bode Swiller, Mine always says "lose some weight you fat git" rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, Ok, someone who is apparently healthy i.e to best of knowledge has no weak heart,asthma etc etc
snow report
DB wrote:
Dutch man (59) fell over head first into a snowbank in Lech yesterday (RIP).

Never know when my time's up but I'd rather die doing something I like doing.

Thats is no loss . The Netherlands is way overcrowed we need to loose a million or so to be able to breathe again Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd rather die doing something I like doing

Which somehow means I have to combine skiing, playing hocky, having sex, eating and a good bottle of red. Hell but it will be fun trying Cool

Suggestions on a postcard please wink
snow report
Boris wrote:
Quote:

I'd rather die doing something I like doing

Which somehow means I have to combine skiing, playing hocky, having sex, eating and a good bottle of red. Hell but it will be fun trying Cool

Suggestions on a postcard please wink

Ischgl
ski holidays
back to the title of this thread.. 'A sobering sight'.. well i often find my missus a sobering sight when i roll in at 3.30 am
snow conditions
I was once sat on a chairlift for an hour, and found out later that a man in his 70s had died of a heart attack while on the lift. Although i knew it had nothing to do with skiing, it was still very sobering...
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, I take it the good lady doesn't look here then? Otherwise you may just find your key doesn't work tomorrow ... also very sobering ime Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy