Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving in the Alps - Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

A quick question if I may. In previous posts I mentioned that I am trying to get to Val Thoren from Grenoble (landing at 21:00) on the 3rd March.
However, as the coach only goes to moutiers (leaving at 22:00) I would have to get a taxi at some expense (anyone know how much this might cost, it would be about midnight at this point).

Therefore my other thought was to get a car rental from Grenoble (costing about £140 inc. Snow Chains). The only problem is that 1.) I have never driven in a foreign country before and 2.) never driven in the Alps before.

Is this too dangerous? It would be more practical for me, please give your advice/experiences.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
darrenkenny, Driving in the Alps is no different from anywhere else, no more 'dangerous' than driving at home as it will be the same idiots on the roads although you will have a LHD car .. just take your time, no idea on taxi but mega-bucks comes to mind .. someone will be more specific ...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
darrenkenny, if you have never driven abroad before, you may find an automatic makes the job slightly easier. The number of times I have gone for the gearstick only to find the door handle instead Embarassed
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agenterre wrote:
...mega-bucks comes to mind .. someone will be more specific ...

I'd like to be more specific...

mega-euros.

Hope that helps.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, Touchee ( swine) !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agenterre, Touchee was a turtle not a swine...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have driven in the Alps many times and drove to Val Thorens at Xmas. The roads are very good and the drive up to Val Thorens is straightforward, nothing dangerous about it! An automatic will make your life easier if you are not used to a left-hand drive car. I would recommend pre-booking a car park in VT, otherwise you could be parking outside the town.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You could try :

If it's a charter flight you could try asking all the arrival reps if they have any space on there coach's going up to Val or Les Menuires.For a few quid in there back burner they may allow you to hop on board.

Leg it straight to the car hire shop after youve got ur bags and see if anyone is willing to bum you a ride for a few quid (done this myself a few times)

Hire a car yourself,see if the hire outfit have an office in val , they may have, you may be able to get away with one or two days hire if they will let you drop it off in the resort.

A word of warning on hiring though ,check the car over for damage before you take it and make sure you have a writen note of any damage scratches no matter how small before you take it ! If they can many outfits will sting you for damage that you didnt do ,not repair it then sting the next customer and so on so on.

I wouldnt personally want to be trying to book a taxi from the valley floor at that time of night ,like others say they would charge you what they liked.

Regards Mark
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
darrenkenny, there's not problem driving on the continent. so long as you look properly ahead, you will naturally stay on the right side of the road (seriously) - it's only if you start worrying that there's a problem. As previously mentioned the road is good. I wouldn't think there will be any transfers from grenoble to Val T as it's not the most obvious airport. Hiring a car is deffo the best option, and I second the suggestion of an automatic, although I find it much easier to change gears with the right hand (being right handed). Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Hiring a car is deffo the best option, and I second the suggestion of an automatic

I found changing gears with the "wrong" hand the most difficult thing to get used to, so I agree with this, with the proviso that if you've never driven an automatic, that takes a bit of getting used to as well. You need to keep your left foot very firmly clamped to the floor and never, ever, put it on a pedal. If you're a confident and experienced driver in the UK you won't have any problem; we've all done it for the first time at some time. But if you're a very new driver here, as well, one of the other suggestions, such as bumming a lift, is probably better.

Once you're on the road, bowling along with everyone else, around roundabouts etc you'll be fine. The problem I always find is pulling out onto an empty road, for example from a petrol station, then it's automatic to take the left hand side of a road. I once pulled out of a hotel at 6 am, a couple of hundred yards to a roundabout, round the roundabout the wrong way and towards the péage (toll) booth, only to find a very irate French lorry driver making rude gestures at me. Don't blame him. And I'd been driving in France for many weeks of several years by that time! It's the worst mistake I've made and I got away with it, but I was lucky.

If you have a passenger in the car it will help you look out for road signs, traffic lights, etc which are all a bit differently designed, and placed, than UK ones. Especially as it will be dark. And they can share the cost....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have you thought about staying in moutier for the night and catching the bus up in the morning or even hitching. alternativly if your kit is in a back pack and you have skis take the lift up from brides les bains and ski over to val.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Say to yourself EVERY time you get behind the wheel.- " Drive on the Right : Death comes from the left". Its a really good way to make sure you look the 'wrong' way at junctions etc, then you will be alot safer. Dont forget most French roads are quieter than ours, . I wouldn't wory about it , hardest part is fitting snow chains in a snow covered layby ,in the dark , when its snowing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B wrote:
darrenkenny, The number of times I have gone for the gearstick only to find the door handle instead Embarassed

pam w wrote:
I once pulled out of a hotel at 6 am, a couple of hundred yards to a roundabout, round the roundabout the wrong way and towards the péage (toll) booth, only to find a very irate French lorry driver making rude gestures at me. .

dupes wrote:
hardest part is fitting snow chains in a snow covered layby ,in the dark , when its snowing.

I've done all of the above! (except the rude gesture of the French driver)

In addition, I turned on the windshield wiper when I need to signal for turn! Worst, when I got back home, I do the same because I was too well trained from the hired car!!! wink

If you think a few of the above doesn't faze you, you'll do fine. If you're the cautious kind and find the trouble too much, you should look for other options. The worst thing is to worry and get all worked up all the way from the airport to the lodge. You'll likely end up lost or exhausted, not the best way to start a holiday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers guys, that makes me much more confident.

I am a confident driver, just unsure of the difficulty of it all + I dont want to be stranded in Moutiers at midnight strambling for a taxi that I will have to get a second mortgage to pay.

An overnight stay would make sense, but its extra hassle and coming back would mean relying on bueses which im just not keen on.

Again, thanks for the advice, it's all very much appreciated.

Darren
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good Luck darrenkenny, we drove from Grenoble to les deux alpes and it was one of the scariest experiences! However once we had got our heads round the roundabouts it was grand and we could enjoy the lovely scenery.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy