Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription googles - cost of.....?

Poster: A snowHead
So I still find the goggles/glasses thing doesn't exactly work if the weather is not ideal for the combination. Given that I'm the one trip per year type, I was wondering if prescription goggles were approachable price wise. They wouldn't have to be up to the minute or fancy, just adequate that I could see through would be fine. I'd be looking at standard non varifocal lenses, to counter astigmatism. Has anyone any experience with this type of thing in terms of cost and recommended places to get them from please
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, This place is very reasonable www.spex4less.com. I've just bought some prescription inserts for my Bolle Goggles, only £25 but I haven't tried them yet. Service was very good I got them in a couple of days. They also do some Bolle prescription sunglasses which work out about £125..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How does a prescription goggle lens work when your eyes each require different strength lenses? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard, With the inserts they can put different lenses in each side. They are very similar to glasses really without arms which just clip inside your goggles.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have astigmatism, and contact lenses, so that could be a way to address the issue.
Have a chat with your opticians.

D&A do contacts by post for £25 - £30 (depends on lenses) per month, and glasses are 50% off, if you take them on.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kermit wrote:
glasses are 50% off

Excellent news, I've been hoping that monocles would make a comeback. Pip pip.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D&A must be laughing. I use the Asda opticians now for contact lenses. Bausch and Lomb Purevision 30day lenses are just over £20 for 3 months supply - works out £7/month per pair. This is why I've now decided against the laser eye surgery. I have astigmatism too but just use standard contact lenses. It's only with glasses eye have a problem.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Adidas do an optical insert for around £60 and I'm told it works well for skiing. However, you can't beat contact lenses...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, 'nother vote for contacts...

I've tried the prescription googles and sunglasses route. The googles fogged up really easily - too easily Evil or Very Mad The sunglasses were just v expensive Crying or Very sad

Contacts (if you can wear them) allow you much much more choice, although I have had the lens pop out and stick itself to the inside of my goggles in the past Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Contacts for me every time too.

Prescription goggles are only any good whilst your wearing them; what do you do when you take them off at lunch/coffee/pee time? What do you do when they break or you lose them; can you afford to carry a spare pair too? What about those glorious days when you'd prefer sunglasses?

I like goggles with good peripheral vision too, which I've never seen with prescription inserts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickB, presumably it depends on what sort of specs you wear. I've just started to wear specs for distance stuff (driving, cinema and so on). When my eyesight deteriorates further, I may need to wear them for skiing, but I won't need them when I take my goggs off for any or all of the activiites you list as my close sight is fine (so far), so prescription goggs will be fine for me. I wouldn't want lenses as I couldn't read the piste map comfortably with them (judging by the effect my specs have on my close sight).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm in that funny in between stage where I only wear glasses for reading and driving and not 100% of the time. I just feel that having my distance prescription in my goggles would be helpful. I wouldn't have experimented had they been too expensive but at £25 they are worth a try. I don't wear sunglasses to ski as I don't find they fit well with a helmet. I don't think the Bolle sunglasses at £125 including polarized prescription lenses are a bad price at all. I shall probably buy some for my drive down to Italy in the summer. I've seen some lesser known brand sports presciption sunglasses for about £75 on the web also.

I've a couple of trips coming up where I'll try the inserts and will report back on how I get on.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't beat the price at www.contactsuniverse.co.uk for my disposables. I've had excellent service from them for the last 18 months or so.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh, how I'd give my hind teeth to be able to wear contacts again - I wore them for about 6 years in my late teans early twenties, I wore them all day every day, then one day the optician said that I had blood vessels growing towards the centre of my natural lenses because the eye was lacking in oxygen and I had to stop wearing them for so long. That didn't suit me - I'd have still needed specs (another expense) and would have had all the hassle of changing them in the middle of day etc. So I gave them up, even with today's modern thin lenses my optician says that I still can't wear them full time, and whilst I can afford specs or lenses I can't afford both, and to wear lenses I'd still need both. Hence reluctantly not wearing lenses to ski.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, you might look into getting fitted for disposables. I wear glasses most of the time. But for skiing and sports, I wear those for a day a time. I change back into my specs the same time I change out of my skiing outfit! wink

A box of disposible contact lens are quite reasonable price-wise and will last a long time if you only wear them for sports. My "30 day supply" is still going strong 6 months onward. You throw them away at the end of the ski day. So no cleaning, no storage, no other expense. Just the cost of that box of lenses.
latest report
abc, Good shout, I wear glasses all the time for day to day stuff, but get disposable lenses for skiing and also for snorkelling in the summer. Seems the best of both worlds untill I get round to laser surgery Toofy Grin

IMT
ski holidays
Megamum, I had blood vessels developing years ago when I insisted on wearing old daily disposables from 7am till midnight and making them last a month by cleaning them! All I was told to do was reduce wearing time a bit. But the lenses I have now (like most modern soft lenses) allow far more oxygen to pass through them and I don't have this problem at all. I usually sleep in them as well and clean them every few days and have no issues. It really might be worth you seeing a different optician if you've had the same one for years.
laser surgery is not on my "to do" list as the moment as too many people still need to wear contact lenses or glasses afterwards to achieve the same standard as their previously corrected vision. Also, even with laser eye surgery, it needs to be repeated years down the line as ones eyesight deteriorates naturally.
ski holidays
I went through glasses from age 10 to a mixture of contacts and glasses from my early 20s but the best thing I ever did was to get them lasered when I was 30 (almost 3 years ago). Yes it was expensive and yes there are risks involved but the days of tired, itchy eyes from contact use or the discomfort and general smudginess of glasses are now behind me for a good few years at least.
snow report
Quote:

Can't beat the price at www.contactsuniverse.co.uk for my disposables. I've had excellent service from them for the last 18 months or so.

Cracking deals on there, though I thought you couldn't buy lenes on line anymore with out a prescription? Am I wrong, or that just a UK thing?

IMT
snow report
You can't buy contact lenses online without a prescription in the UK - usually the online company will phone your Optician or you need to provide a copy of a recent prescription.
latest report
nuttyprofessor, Yeah I get that, but the link is for a German based company I think. I know what strength I need, but it would be much easier if I could just get them online - my prescription is a little out of date, but as I say , I know what I need. Perhaps endoman, can shed some light...

IMT
ski holidays
Hi megamum....
I've got prescription inserts for adidas goggles - but find they do mist up badly - can be a nightmare when you are on a steep run and fighting with falling snow and goggles misting up!!

I've got prescription sunglasses bought in resort very reasonably that are great on sunny days.

I've got eye probs like you and optician will not allow me to wear contacts full time - but has given me the ok to wear daily disposables just while skiing - as long as it is only a few weeks a year. Might be worth asking optician/consultant about this option
They take no time to get used to - and I can leave them in for a full day skiing with no probs.

I now wear the contacts just on bad weather days- with goggles.

Good luck!
ski holidays
I spent a good couple of months looking at prescription goggles/inserts/sunglasses/contacts in preparation for my last ski trip. I am long-sighted and dont need to wear glasses all the time, but they help.

I decided on a pair of Oakley XLJ sunglasses and bought some prescription lenses. The sunnies were £75 (with standard UVA lenses), then the prescription lenses (persimmion) were another £80.
But the good thing these Oakley's have is that all the lenses are interchangeable. Ok, they're not cheap, but they look quite good and the interchangeable lenses is quite practical.

On the subject of lenses (contact), I dont often wear them. The last batch of daily disposables has lasted me 4 years!!
I understand things have moved on in the contact lenses world and it is possible to get longer-term disposable lenses that you can sleep in and dont have to clean so often? If someone uses these things, can you tell me how much they are (before I head to the opticians) and how long they can stay in?
latest report
It seems from all your comments that a box of daily disposables might be the way forward - having worn relatively thick soft toric lenses all those years ago I'm sure that I would be able to get used to modern dailies very quickly. I am encouraged by those folks who are getting months of use out of single box when used occasionally as I had wondered what the 'keeping/useby' factor was on such things, i.e. would I use them all up before they expire. I don't know what they cost, but I guess they can't be more than about £30 or so for a box, and that would be on a par with what I paid for my snazzy goggles and would still allow me to use them. I might investigate further.
snow report
Yes, I use daily disposables mainly just for skiing. They seem to keep for ages - or at least I haven't checked out the Use by date on them Toofy Grin If you don't think you're going to get through them very quickly just buy one box.
snow report
Megamum, i was told 2 months ago that i had vascularisation in my eyes from extended contact lens usage too. was told to switch to the bausch and laumb ACUVUE with HYDRACLEAR lenses (they are meant to be disposed of every 2 weeks but i wear them a little longer) and told i did not need to reduce the number of hours i wore them for. yesterday's visit to the optician revealed the vascularisation had reduced and should be gone in about 6 months. apparently these new lenses allow a lot more oxygen to the eyes. but i've always skied in contacts, and never had any problems.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
...and would still allow me to use them. I might investigate further.

My optician keep saying to me "if you only use them for the occasional party and night out..." wink

So, disposables are good for more than skiing.
snow report
Gilbern74 wrote:

On the subject of lenses (contact), I dont often wear them. The last batch of daily disposables has lasted me 4 years!!
I understand things have moved on in the contact lenses world and it is possible to get longer-term disposable lenses that you can sleep in and dont have to clean so often? If someone uses these things, can you tell me how much they are (before I head to the opticians) and how long they can stay in?

I'm using Bausch & Lomb Purevision - they're monthly disposable that can be slept in and worn continuously. However, I do leave them out and clean them overnight every few days in an "all in one" solution as I do a lot of outdoor work and like to keep 'em fresh. And I find because I clean them then I get much more than a month out of each pair. They are extremely comfortable and I have had no problems at all. Cost from my Asda opticians is not much over £20 for 3 months supply (which realistically lasts me over 4 months)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One HUGE benefit of wearing contact lenses is the detailed eye examinations that you have done. The examinations have at times resulted in early spotting of retina problems and brain tumours/cancer!
ski holidays
Tried out the £25 Bolle prescription inserts I got from www.spex4less.com over the weekend in LDA. The weather was pretty good, fairly cold with lots of blue sky Very Happy and very little snow falling whilst skiing. In those conditions I found them to be very good just suffering from a little misting if I stood still for too long. Easily rectified by raising them or whilst moving at any speed. Can't vouch for how they would cope in the wet though, off to LDA again at Easter so if conditions are any different I'll update.
snow report
Megamum, pm me, i have a friend who makes pescription glasses/goggle inserts (not a dodgy cowboy). that goes for anyone else interested. he is based in the carlisle area, will pass on his number
snow report
just a thought, if your having trouble with goggles misting, why not try some of the motorbike helmet visor treatments on your lenses. it may work, i dont have that trouble, but its just an idea
ski holidays
Am I the only person that wears glasses under goggles then? I just made sure they fit over the top when I bought the goggles, not too hard as I wear them all the time. I only occasionally get steaming up issues but they quickly demist once I start moving anyway.
ski holidays
Swirly,
Nope I do too, but its horrible if conditions are bad. At some stage I'm going to buy a pair of Addidas Elevations, or perhaps their nordic specific glasses together with optical inserts. If the inserts are the same I might buy both.
ski holidays
contacts for me if i'm in goggles - otherwise prescription oaklies for the sunny days - doesn't get better. Cool
snow conditions
I wear contacts most of the time with either goggles or wrap-around sunglasses. However, I also have a pair of Rudy Project sunglasses with the clip-in RX frame. It works very well, allowing me to wear them with my contacts (with the RX frame out) or without. Nice kit.

I think prescription goggles are a bit challenging, because the prescription doesn't span the visual field, which I think is important in skiing.
snow conditions
Swirly, I used to do this, and only stopped when I started wearing a helmet, as the glasses weren't comfortable under the helmet (I got sore patches on my ears where the earpieces rubbed. Now I have prescription inserts for my Adidas goggles and they are very good, and only mist up if I manage to wipe myself out big-time and get snow in the goggles.

ssh, I know what you mean about restricted visual field, and it affects me when cycling too. Unfortunately I can't wear contacts of any description, so only have the insert option left to me. The good thing is that you can get varifocal inserts, which you can't get for contacts. As I've had cataracts removed in both eyes, I can't focus without such lenses, and this is important when trying to catch a T-bar that is rapidly approaching!

graeme, motorbike stuff works pretty well to stop misting up, but so does a bit of washing-up liquid or even clear shower gel, if you can't find anything else.
snow report
docsquid, I understood with contacts that if you needed varifocals they gave you one long sighted and one shorter sighted contactm and then provided you wore them in the appropriate eyes your brain soon sorted out what to do with the images - I don't know if thats true, but I'm sure I heard it somewhere.

I've heard that a bit of washing up liq. is good too - all you need is something to break up the surface tension on the misting droplets - and it polishes quite well too, the only trouble is with the glasses under the goggles I wonder if the fact that glasses are pushed quite close to you eyes whether there would any tendency for the soap to ultimately wash into the corner of your tear duct - Ouch!!

N.B. How do these goggles inserts work - are they lenses on a sprung loaded frame that sit inside the goggle housing?
snow conditions
Megamum, Not really spring loaded. You need to get the one that fits the particular goggles (Bolle in my case) and they just wedge inside.
snow report
Megamum, I just can't wear contacts full stop. I'm allergic to the stuff they soak in, after wearing them for many years. I'm pretty happy with glasses, and I have always had much clearer vision with glasses than contacts too, because of my prescription.

They actually wanted to correct my vision partially when they implanted the lens after cataract surgery, but because I had both eyes done one year apart, they could only vary the prescription by 2 dioptres - more than that and you cannot get proper binocular vision as the images are different sizes on the retina, and the brain can't adjust for a difference of that degree. So I opted to go from -5 to -3 in the first eye, hoping to be able to go to -1 in the second eye and get reasonable specs-free vision in one eye.

As it happened, my eye simply adapted and turned the -3 back into -5 again! Same thing happened with the second eye. So they are now both -5 again, but I can read perfectly without specs. With contacts it would be roughly the same - unequal prescriptions are OK, but I'm very short sighted, so the benefit would be very limited.

Oh yes, and the insert just wedges inside but has a sort of small clip to keep it there - it didn't flip out when I wiped out a high speed recently, despite my landing on my face, and getting my goggles full of snow!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy