Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ALTITUDE SICKNESS ANY ADVICE (TRIP TO BRECK)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
FLUFFYONE snowHead
HI ANOTHER NEW SNOWHEAD HERE.

ME AND MY WIFE HAVE BOOKED A TRIP TO BRECKENRIDGE VAIL ETC.
MY WIFE IS CONCERNED ABOUT THE REAL RISK OF ALTITUDE SICKNESS, Skullie EVERY REPORT SHE SEEMS TO READ MENTION IT,ANY ADVICE, TIPS,ON HOW TO COMBAT IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.(SHE'S STARTING TO THINK WE SHOULD OF GONE BACK TO BANFF)
PLUS CAN ANYBODY ADVICE ME WHERE'S THE BEST PLACE TO RENT FOR ME, AND BECAUSE IT'S THE WIFES BIRTHDAY I'VE PROMISED TO BUY HER SOME NEW SKI'S, SO BEST PLACE TO DEMO AND THEN PURCHASE. (NOT ALLOWED TO SAY HOW OLD BUT THEY DO SAY LIFE BEGINS AT **) Embarassed

BYE FOR NOW FLUFFYONE
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads.

Went to winter park last year, we seemed to be ok with drinking lots and lots of water, no booze for the first few days, and avoided the hot tub after feeling weird using it on the second day. Just take it easy for the first couple of days. No idea about renting skis however sorry
Ps. Trying taking the caps lock off as you seem to be shouting......
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fluffyone, I thought you were female. I now have visions of a man dressed up in a furry rabbit outfit Shocked

You might find this recent thread on altitude sickness useful http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24627

PS - yes, you're a bit deafening, can you turn down the volume down/caps lock off please? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fluffyone, I doubt that you'll suffer from proper altitude sickness in Breckenridge (it's not impossible, though), which I think is the highest ski town in that area; you're sleeping at 'only' 10 000 ft. What you may suffer from is shortage of breath and a blocked nose, a feeling that a headache is just around the corner and insomnia; we suffered from all of those to some extent while we were there. You can buy from the corner shop cylinders of oxygen enriched air, and the local quacks will give you a scrip for oxygen (and probably anything else you fancy) as soon as you step over the door; you ring up someone and they trundle it round (don't forget to put your fag out). We didn't indulge in extra oxygen, although my son was given a scrip for it, to be cashed in if needed (he'd gone in with conjunctivitis). We draped a wet towel over the heater which helped the dryness.

On the slopes, the altitude wasn't a problem.

If you haven't settled acomodation yet, I'd look at staying somewhere other than Breckenridge, although it's quite a pleasant place, and we enjoyed the skiing there. Vail is a dump from the accomodation point of view; a grotesque sub Disney version of a typische Tyrolean village rendered in corrugated iron, although it looked a great place to ski from the 1 day I spent there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy, if you look at his location, it's quite obvious that he must be a sheep.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fluffyone,

You might get headaches - take your usual preferred headache tablets with you (Tesco Ibuprofen 34p for 16 I think!)- they are expensive there but you can buy packs of 2 Tylenol for 75c everywhere on the mountain.

as others have said - lots of hydration.

I didn't suffer at all in Breck, although Mr HL got palpitations.

richmond,

Why wouldn't you stay at Breck? I would say the accomodation was very good (apart from Breckenridge Mountain Lodge - v v basic) with excellent restaurants and not at all rowdy in bars etc - or do you think fluffyone can do better skiing-wise?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx, the only reason is the height; you could sleep somewhere lower and ski there if you were worried about the altitude (which I found a bit of a pain, no worse). Otherwise Breckenridge is not a bad place at all. The place we stayed, the aptly named Liftside, was a bit shabby but perfectly OK, and the town was fine. The skiing was excellent, I thought, something for everyone.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond,

gotcha Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fluffyone
sorry about the delay in answering had to go to work Sad
thanks for the advice,we'll try to take it easy first couple of days and stay of the booze Evil or Very Mad
do'nt think it will spoil holiday,and if we have any symptoms we can always strap one of those cylinders of oxygen on our backs. Toofy Grin
really looking forward to going and can't wait untill 17 march
once again thanks for the advice will let you know how it went
fluff
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy