Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blonde question about snow chains

Poster: A snowHead
Well I'm hiring a car from Geneva this weekend and driving up to 3 Vallees to meet my husband. In case I need to put the snowchains on (I hear there's been a decent amount of snow this week?) can anyone give me a few tips just so I know the general way it works please? I know I'll have to read the instructions but any general help would be appreciated eg do you lay them out and then drive the wheels over them? Front or back wheels?
Or do I try them out first in the carpark at Cointrin??

Ann Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
a) make sure the instructions are with the chains before you leave the airport

b) make sure you can read and understand the instructions (not wet damaged or in language you don't speak rolling eyes)

c) if you think there is any likelihood of having to use them then yes, practice in the carpark. But unless it's actually snowing as you are driving the roads are likely to have been cleared fairly quickly.

d) mostly they are put on with the vehicle stationary, but follow the instructions for your type; then check them after a few hundred metres to make sure all is OK (unless you hear some distressing noises before then)

e) front or back depends on the driven wheels. most 4WD probably need all 4 to avoid "wind up", although many 4WD or even 2WD with proper snow tyres are only going to need chains in really serious stuff.

f) even if going uphill is easy peasy, think carefully about the going down bits Shocked

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 27-02-07 23:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ann, I'll get in before the chaps give you the benefit of their wisdom.

We've got a set. If your's are like mine you can put them on without moving the car or jacking the wheel up (both of which I wondered about myself). You lay them out at the back (the inside edge) of the wheel then drape them around and over to the outside of the wheel and they secure by means of a latch which runs across about a third the distance of the wheel and then hooks around the chain that it meets up with on the opposite edge on the outside of the wheel. We had a dry run on our drive - a go in the C-Park might not be a bad idea. Having put them on here, I decided it was good news to pack something waterproof to kneel on (remeber there will be snow/slush on the ground if you have to use them) and some water proof warm gloves, but not so thick that you can't feel the chain through them.

I will say here and now that DH gave up on the job when we tried ours and it was actually me that fathomed them out and installed them (its worth checking out the diagram properly) - unfortunately I now have that undesirable task if we need them. rolling eyes rolling eyes Still at least I'll know they've been put on properly Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Or do I try them out first in the carpark at Cointrin??

Yes,definitely practice if it looks likely you'll have to fit them! With most chains these days, you put them on with the car stationary. There are lots of threads with instructions about snowchains, if you do a search. They go on the driving wheels, which usually means the front wheels, though it might be worth asking the car hire people as some cars have rear wheel drive. If you are hiring from the Swiss side of Geneva airport the car might well be equipped with snow tyres (ask when you pick it up) which will make it less likely that you'll need the chains.

There are some really good pics of how to fit chains here http://www.skidrive.co.uk/chains/fit_guide.php3

Have a great trip.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ann,
First take some disposable latex or nitrile gloves & a torch with you. it is a filthy job & it's always dark when you need them.
Check the road conditions & forecast before you go. If dodgy, deffo practice putting them on somewhere dry & light.
They go on the wheels that have drive to them, probably front wheel drive if hire car.
Lay them flat on the ground behind the wheel, there is a stiff but flexible cable that holds the chains in place, this locks together on the backside of the wheel to form a ring. make sure that the chain links are smooth side towards the tyre, so as not to damage the tyre.
now pull the chain links over the tyre and fasten on the outside of the wheel.
Some chains ( more expensive) are self tensioning, so away you go. Some are not, so you will need to drive a short distance and retension the chains, so they are tight on the tyre.
To take them off, undo the tensioners, undo the cable, let them fall to the ground, making sure nothing is still around the wheel, drive forward slowly and recover them.
Good luck.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

even if going uphill is easy peasy, think carefully about the going down bits

Going downhill, the front wheels will have lots of grip but the back wheels will have none. On tight bends the back might want to overtake the front, if it does accelerate gently to pull the car back on line. Don't run with chains on at more than 30mph. Best way is be very smooth as locking wheels can snap the chain links.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman wrote:

First take some disposable latex or nitrile gloves & a torch with you. it is a filthy job & it's always dark when you need them.
Check the road conditions & forecast before you go. If dodgy, deffo practice putting them on somewhere dry & light.

That's absolutely the most valueable idea!

I wonder how he knows...

Also, follow the instruction on the chain about the speed. You don't want to know what happen to the paint if the chain does break.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc,
Quote:

wonder how he knows...

Had to fit them after a drive leaving home at 4.30am arriving in resort at 8pm after a horrendous drive, traffic, snow, rain, accidents, roadworks, the lot. Then had to fit them in the dark, raining, just to drive 100m downhill to the chalet.
I had practiced loads before and could pretty much fit them by feel, but feeling around the back of a wet tyre and wheelarch is not the cleanest of places to be. insulated gloves are no good at all, you don't have the feel. Blue Nitrile gloves are best, £5 for 100.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like the way folks are praising the advice given by the bloke, course I know nothing about it rolling eyes rolling eyes wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, doing snowchains is one of those things where reading the instructions, practising and doing it by guile rather than brute force are all useful ways of approaching the job. That's why women can sometimes be best at it. Sometimes I find I have to roll the car forward just a quarter of a wheel revolution to get enough slack to get the chain through the wheel thing - but you need to be very careful not to run over it. Yours is the third family I know of, out of not very many, where doing the chains is the woman's job. I actually never use gloves. It's much faster without, and the less time it takes, the less frozen your fingers get. It's extremely useful to have a small kid's shovel in the car (cheap plastic beach one) to get rid of the snow round the back of the wheel, before you push the chain behind it. If you're very well organised, have some special oil wipe things in the car to wipe your fingers. And an old jacket; not your new £400 Goretex job, because the sleeves get mucky. Ann, have a BIG poly bag to put the chains in when you get them off, 'cos you'll not get them back in their box by the side of the road in the dark. A picture is worth a thousand words - good pics on the link I posted (simultaneously with Yoda's post).

And, if you have to put them on, be glad! It will mean it's still cold enough to have snow on the road. AT the moment, that looks rather unlikely.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys and (especially) gals - speaking as someone who had to show my other half the first time we had a puncture how to change the wheel I agree with you wholeheartedly! He just got into a megastrop panicking while I just got on with the job. Hope he doesn;t read this post having said this or I will be well and truly in the merde.....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No experience with snow chains (yet!) but guess who found herself changing the plugs on our old car outside in the snow some years ago after dearly beloved couldn't find them - the air filter had to come off first! Also when arriving in Costa del Sol at 11pm and needing to find the apartment we had keys for which was some way down their delightful coastal racetrack guess who had to drive the hire car ("you've had more recent experience driving on the wrong side of the road dear"), but after he'd had a quiet practice on the roads round the local area the macho bit took over and I meekly took the passenger seat and nearly wore holes in the floor operating the phantom dual controls!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ann, ..........all the above plus do remember the chains are also a real fight to get off Toofy Grin Plus they are dirtier and oilier than when you put them on Evil or Very Mad and remember take them off in good time. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The worst job of the winter - pay someone to do it for you - well worth it!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did hear that DIY had become GMI these days!
latest report
GMI? Wossat?
snow report
GMI - Get (a) Man In

I think
latest report
Quote:

GMI - Get (a) Man In

I think

Ah right!
snow conditions
You got it! Laughing
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:

d) mostly they are put on with the vehicle stationary, but follow the instructions for your type; then check them after a few hundred metres to make sure all is OK (unless you hear some distressing noises before then)

e) front or back depends on the driven wheels. most 4WD probably need all 4 to avoid "wind up", although many 4WD or even 2WD with proper snow tyres are only going to need chains in really serious stuff.

f) even if going uphill is easy peasy, think carefully about the going down bits Shocked

Yoda, I did try to get a mate to fit them as we were driving along to save stopping - unfortunately, the chains got wrapped around his arm and ripped it off. We always do them without the vehicle in motion now as you recommend.

Re 4WD - it depends on the 4WD. A proper 4WD will have a centre diff and wind up will not be an issue unless you lock the centre diff. And with the centre diff locked then wind up is going to be a problem ONLY with chains fitted on all 4 wheels. By leaving chains off two wheel then the two chainless wheel are free to slip thus reducing the wind up in the prop and drive shafts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy