Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Chable - Verbier

Poster: A snowHead
I'm arranging a ski weekend in March and Le Chable looks to be a good bet with the link into Verbier and rail connection from Geneva. Does anyone if there are many hotels there as I can only find one on the web (Hotel Geitroz).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hey, not sure about le chable. it is a very small village at the base of the verbier mountain, and not sure if there are many hotels or indeed any night life. If you are looking for something a little cheaper than a ski resort, I would recommend trying Martigny instead, at the bottom of the valley. From here you would then have only about a half hour train ride up to le chable with direct telecabine to the slopes in verbier, and you could then also choose to go up to chamonix if you wanted (again, shortish train ride).

Le Chable istelf is at the bottom of a relatively steep valley, only at about 900m if im not mistaken. Not sure how much sun it gets either, I sure remember freezing my butt off there once waiting for a bus in the shade Confused
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clueless, the Hotel Geitroz is the only hotel I think. We stayed there for one night in January, but a number of other snowHeads were there for the week and commuted up to Verbier by the bubble every day. It's a short walk up from the train station, which is right where the gondola starts.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not particularly worried about nightlife, we're just looking for reasonably quick access to the slopes and to have a couple of resteraunts to choose from. From my experience of Verbier it seemed to me that it wouldn't be very easy to get accommodation over a long weekend and so staying lower down where we could link in would be a good compromise. It would be interesting to know how late into the evening the bubble runs though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RachelQ, any idea what the resteraunts are like in Le Chable (if there are any?).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I own an appartment in Le Chable.
It is not for rent to you, or anyone else (so nothing personal) and the following cannot be construed as talking-my-book:

dub_01, the valley is wide and sunny. The village gets sunshine all year round.
There are several hotels, but Gietroz would be my choice. 5 minutes walk at the most to the lift/train. Clean and friendly 2*, it is just what you expect it to be.
The is a new "bunker" place at 29chf/night called Le Stop.

Last lift down from Verbier is 18.45.
The Post Bus has two later services...sorry can't remember the times though, I think about 21.00 is the last...don't rely on me for this time!

Several bars: Gietroz (locals), Les Ruinnettes (locals + skibums), Rossbif (best bar IMHO, locals and ski-bums, great Pizza and burgers!). Say Hi to John and tell him I sent you. A couple of other bars too.
Several restaurants: Most of the hotels have resaurants and most of the restaurants have rooms.
Best restaurant is La Tsana...very nice indeed, top quality local food, huge boozy pig-out will cost you 100chf tops, probably less than 1/2 of Verbier.

Ski lift to Verbier takes 7 minutes and goes up and through all the way to Ruinnettes.

2 ski shops, Happy Sport on the bridge and Montagne Show in the lift station itself.

PM me your phone number if you want a longer chat about Le Chable.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rungsp
Thanks again for your help yesterday, we've booked into Hotel Gietroz for the weekend and also decided to rent a car. One small problem though, I can't find the scrap of paper with the details about the thermal baths you were talking about. Where were they again?

Dean
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clueless, Bain de Lavey are the nicest and pretty close, just by Aigle but get off the motorway at St Maurice and follow the signs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Le Chable is a bit of a soleless but handy spot.

I stayed in the Gietroz in January and it was nice enough but the brekfast was terrible ... cup of coffee, two bread rolls and some jam. We laughed the first day but we were crying by the last .. take some food with you to keep you going till lunchtime.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor, almost right...Levey Les Bains.
Take the main road Martigny-Lausanne and turn off at St Maurice.
Les Bains are well signposted.
Take your own towel and wear swimmers.
They have sauna, hamman, ice rooms, massage etc there as well as the huge, hot, outdoor baths with water jets, bubbleing beds, current etc etc.
25 min drive door-door from Le Chable.

RichA, I know I am biased...but soleless?
Le Chable is a real village, the vast majority are permenant inhabitants. Farming is still at the heart of the community.
It is not a ski town although it has some ski resources.
Once you get into the vibe it is a really warm village...warm in the sense that most people will catch your eye and say bonjour as you walk past them or stand in line in the shops etc.

RichA, is right about the breakfasts...I'd forgotten that!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry rungsp, I obviously didn't get a chance to get a feel for the inhabitants .. apart from witnessing a very pathetic 1.5 hour the fight in the club across the river from the hotel. .. I was more referring to the grey drab buildings which are a bit of a contrast from the very pretty Verbier. I'm sure it's a lovely place to live !!

rungsp, how could you forget the breakfasts ??? .. they'll haunt me for the rest of my days !!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey all,

I'm a new SnowHead - delighted to join the community! Heading to Verbier for a week from Dec 27. I still need to find a place for 4 nights from on 30 - Fri 3...alas, The Map and Camp Le Base are full. Then I heard about Le Stop, which is previewed in reputable places like NY Times (6 years ago) but I came across a really dodgy review on TripAdvisor (there's only one in full). Does anybody know about this place? I know it's dirt cheap, so am not expecting a palace, but a steer on whether it's legit would be great.

Am also interested in buddying up with anybody from Tues-Thurs in Verbier as I'llbe flying solo those days.

Cheers!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
KWiddopia, bunk beds, in a nuclear fall-out shelter. Shared bathrooms.
Luxury...it ain't!
Cheap...it is.

It is also the sort of place that you will be sure to find some ski and drinking buddies.

PM me your details...we will be there (Le Chable/Verbier, not Le Stop!) the same time and happy to hook up for a slide or two.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dinner at Gietroz is good. Going up the gondola there is no queue and you pass the queue in Verbier for the same lift.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Typical Medran (Verbier) morning queue during KWiddopia's dates up to 30 mins.

Typical Le Chable queue at same time...no queue at all.
I have sometimes had to wait as long as two or three cabins though(30 seconds?)
snow report
Hi mate,

Sorry I am only replying to your message now.
My UK digits are 07879624989.
What are your plans?

Cheers,
Kevin

rungsp wrote:
KWiddopia, bunk beds, in a nuclear fall-out shelter. Shared bathrooms.
Luxury...it ain't!
Cheap...it is.

It is also the sort of place that you will be sure to find some ski and drinking buddies.

PM me your details...we will be there (Le Chable/Verbier, not Le Stop!) the same time and happy to hook up for a slide or two.
snow conditions
If you're staying in Le Chable, you also have the new gondola across to the Bruson ski area as well. An option if Médran is painfully busy is to just hop on the free skibus to Savoleyres Sud and go up to La Tzoumaz for the morning and then ski down via Planards to the Mayentzet chairlift up to Ruinettes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy