Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sports Conrad webshop

Poster: A snowHead
I found these in another thread and asked the question there but go no answer so I will ask again in my own thread.
Anyone used this shop and are they reliable.

http://www.sport-conrad.com/Index.asp

They are offering ski's at a very good price including shipping and I'm tempted.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nick_C, I've not used them but I'm sure I've read that several snowHead s have had good experiences with them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've used them once and have no complaints.

I tried to pay by credit card but failed so I had to do a bank transfer which cost a little more, but the skis arrived promptly.
I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick_C, Yes have used them once excellent service.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick_C, Used once; Prompt service, well packed and good communication from them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, I've used them. Very quick delivery, and excellent prices.

By the way, if you can't see the product you're after it's worth sending them an email, because they sell a lot more stuff than they list on their website.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've used them a few times & Sport Conrad offer superb service. Don't be put off by their payment page on their website that does not appear to be 'secure' - I know a couple of people who've checked it out & it's fine.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Damn, all these good reports it removes the cop out that they a bad supplier going to have to justify the expenditure another way now. Wink

spyderjon, am I right in thinking the Recons are a 2deg edge angle?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nick_C, Yep 1,2 = 1 degree base & 2 degree side. The one problem with new Recons for the home tuner is that the sidewall needs trimming back straight away as it overhangs a tad & stops you getting a true angle & a proper cut etc. If you get some either pop over & it only takes a few minites to remove (I do so many Recons that I've a sidewall remover permanently set-up) or ask Sport Conrad to trim it back prior to shipping. If you want to do it yourself that a basic sidewall remover is £18 plus a stamp.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, ahhhhhh, no wonder my edges have been dull on my recons, maybe i need to send you £18.......
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, the tell tale sign is a whiteish line down your diamond file/stone from the sidewall plastic alongside the dark grey line from were it's cut the edge. On new Recons the stone might not even touch the side edge at all.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, yup that was the deal, i tried your marker pen trick and teh file wasnt hitting the edges very well, i just assumed it was operator error but definately saw some white lines on the diamond.

our dry slope has a grinding machine they use for servicing would that take off the sidewall?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret wrote:
....our dry slope has a grinding machine they use for servicing would that take off the sidewall?

Sidewall removal is a process that's often required by the DIY tuner but not with a shop service as the shop's grinding machine will just grind off the sidewall at the same time with, & flush with, the side edge.

It would be unlikely that your dryslope's machine would be set-up for removing the sidewall without removing any edge material - to do that the operator would need to be set it to about 7 degrees & be very careful not to cut into the metal edge.

One option the DIY'er can use to save buying a pucka sidewall removing tool would be to shim-up the top of a side edge guide so that a coarse file when clamped on will sit at approx 7-8 degrees. When used (same method as normal side edge tuning) the file will cut the sidewall & not the metal edge.

Problem is this works with skis with a low or rounded sidewall & not skis with a vertical/straight sidewall. It's also pretty tough to do if your skis have a metal top sheet. On race skis I use this method (which is called 'back filing') to blend in the 'top edge' of the side edge after I've trimmed back the sidewall with a pucka cutter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i have used sport conrad too. Very happy with them. FYI - telemarkpyrenees are also a really professional outfit but not sure if they have what you're looking for
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've wasted hours this winter with people, explaining the construction of certain skis, shape, flex etc. and finally choosing the right ski in the right length for them, to then have them ask to have the details of the said ski so they could check the price against CONARD. I feel raped!
snow report
spyderjon, if the skis don't work properly as supplied, then why are they manufactured like that? makes me wonder how many poor recon skiers out there are unhappy with their skis and could be so much happier if they gave you (or anyone else who knows what they're doing) £18 Puzzled
latest report
shoogly, they do work properly as supplied.
Most punters just get their punter skis serviced in shops that use machines, so sidewalls are not an issue for them. It becomes an issue when it comes to hand tuning, which most punters don't go in for.

It's a bit like the difference between washing a car with a bucket and sponge, or using a jetwash. A jetwash will get the dirt out of the intricate shapes of alloy wheels a lot easier than a sponge will, but that doesn't mean a car is designed badly because someone can't clean the wheels as well with the sponge.

Edit: by "punter" I mean the average 2-3 week a year skier who has their own skis - I'm including myself in that description, and the majority of snowHeads as well.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 27-02-07 11:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
so they could check the price against CONARD. I feel raped!

Very nice in-joke for the francophones there, well done Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy