Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know what the train is like from Geneva to Moutier? And is it easy to book?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jane, don't bother, it'll take hours. I posted a response to skanky's post on this topic with the changes; train, bus, tram, train, coach, train, train if memory serves.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The French trains (e.g. Annemasse) go from Genève-Eaux-Vives which is on the other side of Geneva from the airport and there's no easy way of getting between the two (train the Geneva station, then walk/bus/tram/etc. to Eaux-Vives).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jane, I'll second Davids comments however if you do want to check for yourself try the SBB website
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Be careful though as there's a Moutier near Basel which it'll show you can get to in two hours.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Right. Well I think that's enough to put me off. I though the Swiss train service was supposed to be state of the art? Or is it just the contempt they reserve for the skiing crowd? Looks like it will have to be a hire car then, which is turning out to be the cheapest option. Sad What a fag. Parking charges are pretty steep in the resorts. Ah well.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jane, or is it because you're going to France on a journey that mainly involves the French system? Wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I suspect it's the Swiss returning the favour to the French, the French do not like trains going through France to Swiss Ski resorts, as evidenced by their pricing of the route to the extent that it has become uneconomical for anyone to run a service Mad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd have thought that most trains running from Eaux-Vives were French, but I've never caught one so would happily be proved wrong. The trains to/from Evian last week were a pretty poor service - in complete contrast to that on the opposite side of the lake (it was quicker to get a boat across and travel from Lausanne).

There could be a great service from Geneva (possibly via Annemasse), through Thonon and Evian to St. Gingolph and into the Valais. It would benefit both the Haute Savoie region and Swiss and the line exists (even though the trains end at Evian, the line can still be followed - though it needs repair the expensive stuff's till there). Evian itself looks like it's seen better days, so could do with the improved access. The bus service in the region could also be improved - there's some great walking in the Leman area, but most is inaccessible for day walks without a car. Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hhmm .... I'm not normally a French basher but I might start learning.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jane, it's still better than the UK. Try getting public transport to the UK ski areas. Confused
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skanky, you're right the trains from Geneva Eaux-Vives are SNCF but they're only 2 carriages and pretty old by the look of them, only a single line as well. On the journey I did, it didn't even go directly to Annecy, had to stop and change to a coach which stopped at all stations to Annecy. None of the services linked so that I just missed every connection and had to wait for the next train. Took hours and I was even wishing for Virgin Rail effeciency at one stage.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 5-10-04 9:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jane, Why don't you try 3 Valleys transfers? They are very efficient and run by a very nice English chap called John. I used them last year for Geneva to Meribel and it cost about £90 each return. Not cheap, I know but totally hassle free and you don't have to worry about parking. They have a web site.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skanky - you're right about the UK transport but then the ski areas aren't exactly magnetic are they?
Chris - thanks for that. I've never heard of them. Do you know how I can contact them? £90 is a lot cheaper than I've been quoted so far!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How do you get people's names in bold?
snow conditions
Click on their name in one of their posts.
Manually you do this:

[.b.]Ren Hoek[./.b.] - removing the "."'s
snow report
skanky, Thanks
snow report
Jane, you're welcome. Very Happy
snow conditions
Jane,
Just got back to this. I'll try to post a link.
http://www.3vt.co.uk/
Not sure that will work.
John knows about Snowheads (I told him last February when it was all very new) and might be willing to give us a discount. I'll certainly be using him again this year.
ski holidays
It does work. I'm cleverer than I thought! Or the software is!
ski holidays
Thanks for that - and yest, it does work. But it's still so expensive (£360 return for 4 of us) - We might have to investigate the bus!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Jane,

try www.thecoolbus.co.uk
and www.snowtrip.co.uk

for cheaper transfers.

Mind you, if there's 4 of you, I would hire a car, it's bound to be cheaper than any transfer option and might be handy to have while you're there.

www.sixti.de - if you can fit in an Astra estate

otherwise I think holiday autos are usually as cheap as you'll get, go to

www.fleeteurope.co.uk and click on "worldwide holiday rentals", it gets you to the holiday autos site with a further 10% discount snowHead
latest report
www.alptransfers.com Cheap airport transfers to all resorts any number of people
Also car hire. We have second hand cars too so can offer cheap ski packages.
snow report
anyone any experience of skiing in the dolomites?
snow report
and if so which is the closest area to visit from venice?
snow conditions
mykee, welcome to snowheads. snowHead

I've never skied there but I would recommed that you start a new thread with "Skiing the Dolomites" or similar as the title, in the "Resorts" forum. You're more likley to catch the eye of someone who has been that way.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy