Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has this year's mild weather affected your plans?

Poster: A snowHead
I was in La Ros in January and had a pretty good time despite the mild weather.

I had intended to do a second trip in March, but all this talk about mild weather has knocked the enthusiasm out of me. So probably won't ski again this season. (But never say never)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I reckon if you wait for the perfect conditions you will be waiting a long time, book 'em! Work/commute in the drizzle or the mountains in the mild... I know where I would rather be...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The snowdome in Dubai was slushy at the bottom but other than that no problems snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've just had a great week in the Dolomites, and are looking forward to another week in Val Thorens. If you're looking for somewhere else to go before the end of the season, there's loads of places to choose from...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnboy the only thing it meant to us is that we've done a bit more driving than usual once in the alps and it hasnt been all bad as it means we've tried more different sorts than we normally would do. With only a limited no of runs open at a given resort we've often gone somewhere else the following day to keep it interesting

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 25-02-07 20:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nah! Thinking of another trip at the end of March.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, oh stop all this pathetic whining and go skiing. There's snow all over the shop.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went over Xmas, wasn't as much as previous years but enough to have fun.

THinking of Easter trip but will go at last minute if conditions are still ok
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mild weather hasn't affected my plans so far this season (although I was stuck in Les Arcs for an extra day to to snow at Heathrow). Weather forecast for the next week looks like plenty of snow, especially at higher altitudes. None of this will change my plans for the rest of the season, and I intend to ski through until at least the end of April.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
MeteoFrance report nearly half a metre of fresh snow in Paradiski over the last day or two Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It stopped me selling 160 pairs of Fat Skis at a good margin, never mind i prefer Butlins to Seychelles anyhoo! Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
It stopped me selling 160 pairs of Fat Skis at a good margin, never mind i prefer Butlins to Seychelles anyhoo! Toofy Grin

End of season snowHeads sale? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, End of season? What do you want, i've got 'em now. I give you very good price my friend.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnboy, you not going to the esob then? Shame.

The resorts that I will have been to this year will have been Les 2 Alpes (x2), Cervinia, Obertauern and Val Thorens (last 2 still to go). All really high resorts so I've not been affected and so far have had good snow (apart from PSB)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
rob@rar, End of season? What do you want, i've got 'em now. I give you very good price my friend.

I got a new pair of Karmas this season (partly thanks to your recommendation) so I'm not looking to add to the quiver at the moment, but there's a big bunch of us in Val Thorens at the end of April so you could throw several pairs in a van, quick drive across to the Trois Vallees and tempt us all with special prices Smile
snow report
johnboy, Let's apply a little critical thinking here shall we?

In many places the season has been good.

It's dumping at higher levels all over the place right now.

There has been a great deal of poorly informed "talk" and publicity in the UK media and on the internet. The interweb is particularly bad at accurately and correctly representing the state of skiing.

So you can believe the anti-hype and leave the snow for the rest of us, or endeavour to make a properly informed judgement call based on what you want to achieve, holiday requirements, budget compromises etc.

10 years ago youd just have booked and you'd probably have had a great time no matter the conditions.

Back to your question: has it affected my plans?

Well like SZK I think we've sold fewer weeks than I would have liked. I have been more pathetic about going up when the weather has been uninviting than I really planned to. Other than that? Not really...
snow conditions
rob@rar, Not a bad idea, i'll prepare a list for you all a week or so before. I'd like to come over and meet a few more of you, wouldn't mind doing a "Buying the Right Ski/Boot Clinc" over a couple of evenings.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 25-02-07 20:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
rob@rar, Not a bad idea, i'll prepare a list for you all a week or so before.

By then me (and my credit card) might well be in holiday mood. A salesman's dream...
latest report
Its been pretty good in bits of the US
snow report
stoatsbrother, Mother Nature somehow needs to re-dress the balance over there doesn't she! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Yes I didn't plan to service my skis as much.
ski holidays
I didn't go to Andorra as I had planned.

snowHead
snow report
johnboy, book a week in Tignes - the snow looks good there!
ski holidays
well i'm going to la ros on easter sunday and booked that up in november. The panic is wearing off looking at the webcam today and the next weeks snow forecasts. Last year we went to meribel near the end of feb which is the earliest I have ever skied and the snow was pretty rubbish, it was pretty horrible coming home and then watching the snow depths increase from 40cm to over 200 through march!
ski holidays
I am completley aware that if you go high there will always be cold snow. However some of the really high resorts aren't that pretty, and I do enjoy skiing through the trees. Anyway, means I can save more for my Birthday trip in December. Also need to finish my pilots lisence.

Just trying to stimulate debate, that's all
snow report
Maybe it's because I've cut the grass 3 times since January Shocked
snow conditions
Only difference is I've probably gone more often in the knowledge less folks around and no interminable queues in snow drifts. Snow - ( I may have been lucky) better than my experience last year ( but I was sidelined until March after Jan 14th-ish)
latest report
johnboy,Every day last week I skied home through the tree's Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bored'surfin, I think you mean you 'skied through the trees.
ski holidays
johnboy, we're off to Serre Che in mid-March, I fully expect to be skiing. I might take a trip to LDA for the day, or even Montgenevre depending on conditions. If it all goes in the next three weeks, I may be doing a lot of walking and swimming, but the dog will be happy. Rather two weeks in the mountains than two weeks behind the dispensing bench.
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, presumably your colleagues will dispense without your services. Toofy Grin
snow report
Was in Kitzbuhel in January the week when there was apparently the worst snow conditions ever. Still went even though I was expecting to end up having a walking holiday as it looked so bad the days before departing. Got there and found there was enough snow to still have 6 full days skiing and a brilliant time.

For my next trip I'm going higher though to Les Arcs. So hopefully more snow will mean an even better time Very Happy
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
The interweb is particularly bad at accurately and correctly representing the state of skiing.

My impression was that it was about evens with ahem chalet owners etc putting a very positive spin on the conditions and some armchair forecasters predicting that the ski was falling in but overall I thought I got a better impression of conditions than I saw in the press.
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Bored'surfin, I think you mean you 'skied through the trees.

Through 'em round 'em and one afternoon in to 'em Very Happy Laughing
latest report
boredsurfin, Laughing Laughing (that last one, I'd love to have seen)
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, Fortunately only drew blood on my chin! The Ski took most of the impact Toofy Grin
latest report
johnboy wrote:
I was in La Ros in January and had a pretty good time despite the mild weather.

I had intended to do a second trip in March, but all this talk about mild weather has knocked the enthusiasm out of me. So probably won't ski again this season. (But never say never)

I really don't know what to do. Had 2 trips with mixed results. Was planning to go in March but feel the same. Certainly not going ot book anything until right at the last minute and see whats about. Thinking about the EOSB too so may ditch the March trip altogether.. Sad
ski holidays
Went to La Rosiere w/c 11 feb and Me & the Mrs didnt have a single scratch on our bases. Depth is currently 250cm at 2400m and 150cm at 1850. Many of the French resorts without lower slopes seem to have excellent depths. We were rained on one afternoon and woke the next morning to buckets of fresh snow. Go where the snow is.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Went to La Rosiere w/c 11 feb and Me & the Mrs didnt have a single scratch on our bases. Depth is currently 250cm at 2400m and 150cm at 1850. Many of the French resorts without lower slopes seem to have excellent depths. We were rained on one afternoon and woke the next morning to buckets of fresh snow. Go where the snow is.

Have you checked the webcam? all these weeks of worrying about the depth of snow on the roof and now it is difficult to actually see a building at all in all that snow!
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
Nah! Thinking of another trip at the end of March.

...and just booked it. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy