Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS - advice gratefully received

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good morning from a noisy Dublin

We are going to Les Arcs 1950 Mar 17-24.

Four questions please if anyone can help

1. Any clues abouth the snow at this time of the year - we have never gone so late? and are a bit concerned!
2. Any recomendations for eating out at 1950?
3. Suggestions for ski hire also very welcome
and finally (!)
4. Any suggestions for quieter runs for modest intermediates.

Suggestions and advice most welcome

Thanks in advance

Timmythedog Little Angel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
timmythedog, Welcome to snowHead Can't really help with your questions apart from no.1 Late March should not really be a problem although this year has been a little different, so far the consensus seems to be that over 1800m condition have generally been almost the same as usual. Looking at other threads it appears to be snowing quite heavily at the moment .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
timmythedog, welcome to snowHeads!

1. The snow should be fine at that time of year. No guarantees, of course, but Les Arcs is open until 28 April so you'll have plenty of skiing available.

2. You have a few choices for eating out in 1950. My favourites are Valentino for great pizza and East for vaguely eastern inspired, but you have other choices as well. 1950 is quite compact so all the restaurants and cafes are within a short walk of each other.

3. Don't have any experience of hiring kit in 1950. Other people might be able to help (a couple of snowHeads own property in 1950) but I don't think there is a wide choice of ski rental places. If you can't find anything suitable in 1950 it is very easy to get to Arc 2000 on the pedestrian friendly gondola (Cabriolet) which link the two villages.

4. You have a very wide choice of runs for intermediate skiers. Just about everything around the Arc 2000/1950 bowl is suitable except for the steeper runs from the top of the Aiguille Rouge, the runs from the Grand Col chairlift and the black piste to 1950 underneath the Bois de L'ours chair. Plan verte, Plan des eaux, vallee de l'arc, edelweiss, teppes and plagnettes are all cruisy blues or easy reds that you can access from the top of the Arcabulle chairlift. Further afield, the blues and reds above Arc 1600, 1800 and especially Peisey (lovely runs through the trees) are all wonderful for intermediate skiers Smile

If you want to get some ski lessons the ski school in Arc 1950 (Spirit 1950) seems to have a good reputation.

Hope you have a great trip.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
timmythedog, Il Valentino is IMHO the best restaurant in 1950. As Rob says, great pizzas and the rest of the menu is very good as well especially the pasta. Run by a really nice guy called Laurent, his team provide excellent service and the place is now entirely non smoking as well which suits us with kids.

We also had the Tiffin box take away from East which was excellent and eating in there is also apparently much improved this year. Personally, I don't rate Los Chicanos. For eating in, you might also want to reserve a spit roast chicken or pork joint from the Spar supermarket one night. Other restuarant choices are Chez Anne (traditional fayre), Luigis (ham and cheese specialities though a wider choice of menu this year) and Hemmingways (not sure how you woudl describe it). There is also a Creperie which we have had a very pleasant lunch or two at and Melis, a fast food joint that serves excellent burgers and is also great for lunch. As Rob says, 1950 is very compact so the max walking time between any two places is about 5 mins or so

Up the Cabriolet to 2000, Les Eaux is recommended as is Chalet De L'Arc (10 min or so easy walk up the piste from 2000) on a Wed and Firday night and a lazy lunch at Les Bellouis Fumee opposit the St Esprit lift below 1950 is not to be missed either.

Ski hire - in 1950 you have Ogier who tend to be very expensive (and in my five trips, I have never used) but a cheaper option now hiring skis and boards is the Concept board shop in 1950 - these can be reserved on line at http://www.snowrental.net/ alternatively, Equilibres at 2000 are also very good - run by a great guy called Sylvain and that's where we hire from.

Worth bearing in mind that the cabriolet to 2000 closes at 5:30pm on a Saturday and 9:30pm every other day

Finally, as Rob says, on the 1950/2000 side of the mountain, I always use Spirit at 1950 - great instructors for both private and group lessons
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
timmythedog,

I was planning to go to Les Acs but have been persuaded to join the EoSB instead, but while I was researching i came across Twinner Sports offering discounts for online booking (30% at the end of the season) plus an extra 5% with promo code CReduc87 (valid till end of Dec 07)

http://skirental.twinner-sports.com
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy