Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

These ski carrying devices.........

Poster: A snowHead
Have some attraction, esp. now there will be 3 set of skis to deal with each year. I've seen one sort that sling over the shoulder and another that adds a handle which allows the skis to be lifted 'suitcase' style. I aim to make the kids carry their own skis next year, older did so this year but did not find it easy, and I have to admit they are awkward and cold to hold. Some of you must have tried these things - which sort will be easier for the kids (8 & 5 next year) and for me, and does anyone have any idea where they are cheapest to buy from - they seem relatively expensive for a couple of loops and a strap - ranging from about £8.50 - £14 that I have found on the web, but if they're any good they could be worth getting. Any ideas please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, most people I see who don't just carry them use the poles - poke one end of the skis through one pole strap, the other through the other pole strap, hold the poles together horizontally and bingo, one patent ski carrier
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, I've bought 1 of each of the types you describe so that my 11 year daughter can carry her skis. However I've found that neither is really any good and they aren't used. I bought a sling affair from Decathlon (too long really for a child) and the other on eBay (it fell to pieces first time used and had to be repaired). The method eng_ch, describes is easiest.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
eng_ch, thanks for theinfo. I've always wondered how peeps were doing that!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bought some "sling" type carriers to make the kids carry their own, but they weren't effective. They were the ones, were you dropped the back end of the skis into a little canvas bag and then clipped the top of the strap round the front of the ski and put it over your shoulder. I found that the strap dug into your shoulder and was more painful that it was worth Confused

A refinement of eng_ch, technique would be to push the basket of each pole through the strap handle of the other pole to lock the two poles together.

I find over the shoulder easiest.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
At least my daughter is usually fair about these things. In return for me carrying her skis as well as my own she does carry my poles in return.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Surely better for them is to tell them to carry their skis and let them figure out how is best! Are you a Megamum, or what? rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, Hmm more hassle than they're worth - putting them on is time consuming and often not convenient and then it has to go into your pocket ,or bag if you have one.

The little velcro straps that keep the skis together are good though. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Well, I kind of went that route this year and I don't think they were carried the same way twice, also it was amazing how many times they were dropped, or I was called for to put them back on narrow shoulders. rolling eyes

On the back of these comments I won't spring for the cost of them though - thanks.

I do like the idea of the ski pole route though - thanks eng_ch, Ray Zorro, well worth trying I think. Great things these fora..... no need to fathom a problem that someone else has already worked through.

IncogSkiSno, might see if I can get the velcro straps though - they would work with the ski pole technique too

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 25-02-07 14:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Surely better for them is to tell them to carry their skis and let them figure out how is best! Are you a Megamum, or what?

Old enough to ski = old enough to carry skis ! wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski, Old enough to crawl............................................. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski, Don't get me wrong, I totally agree, but sometimes its a trade off between time spent skiing and time spent walking to the lift. Hence if I could find a method so that they could carry them easier, then we'd all be winners.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, Try eating your children as an instant solution to troublesome kids!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I find that even carrying my skis over my shoulder needs a good technique. The best way is to put the front of the bindings just behind your shoulder then hook your arm over the front of your skis and lever them down until they are balanced.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use the 2 velcro straps with a shoulder strap attaching them system when I have a distance to walk. It never sits right on my hip, but compared to the way I normally carry my skis (in the crook of both elbows, horizontally) it causes less damage to other people Shocked
I have never mastered the art of using the pole straps. rolling eyes
ski holidays
See, I find carrying skis on my shoulder incredibly painful. What works best for me is to keep my skis upright, arm round them then lift from the binding. It's a beginner's technique, I gather, but it works for me.
snow conditions
Matt Exley, I've been carrying them similarly to you, but I think I've put the back of bindings over the shoulder so that half of the binding is behind and half is in front - I also try to have the points in front of me so that its only the blunt bits behind me, but presumably this more problematical with twin tipped skis?

This looks like one of those topics that everyone has wanted to discuss but no-one's been brave enough to raise for a while, imagine hardened snowHead 's admitting that skis are difficult to carry - well, I'm quite convinced they are - they are heavy, unweildy, a potential danger to folks close to you, and fall apart at a moments notice - though the above velcro straps probably address that issue. How many other ways have folks found of carrying them?
snow report
Quote:

The little velcro straps that keep the skis together are good though

Yes, if walking any distance I use these, because my skis don't seem to stick together as well as most. I have a carry thing, but hardly ever use it, just put them on the shoulder. What I find extremely difficult, because of arthritic hands, is carrying them up gondola stairs. There aren't any gondolas in Les Saisies, so that solves one problem. My hands feel a lot less sore after a day's snowboarding, because of not using sticks (everything else feels more sore though!). Ski instructors get kids carrying their skis quite successfully. Little ones (ie the 5 year olds) shouldn't be using sticks anyway, which makes the whole thing easier. Falling onto sticks can be very dangerous; a man in Les Saisies fell onto his stick off a chairlift last year and severed his femoral artery. Awful mess on the snow. Fortunately they got some first aiders to him very quickly and his all in one suit was so many colours already the stains scarcely registered. If kids want to ski with sticks then they should be told that as soon as they can carry them themselves, they can use them. snowHead
snow report
Those ski-carrying devices are rubbish.

And they make you look like a loser.

Just throw two pairs of skis over your shoulder and crack on.
snow report
Ski-in, ski out - problem solved!
ski holidays
Quote:

Ski-in, ski out - problem solved!

Yes, have to agree! Definitely the answer with kids.
latest report
Clive, We've got that - it's the 100ydsfrom the basement around to the front of the building which takes the time with the kids
snow conditions
Whitegold, did you make this up?
snow report
Megamum, whitegold is absolutely right. The main difficulties of carrying skis are 1) the weight, 2) the length and pointiness of them. All the ski carriers I have ever seen narrow rather than increase the surface area in contact with your shoulder and make them potentially more painful and more likely to swing around.

Ideas:

1) The kids - espescially the 8 year old, can carry their own. I have 10 & 5 year old sprogs and they know the drill.
2) Get a locker near the bottom of the hill
3) Get Megadad to carry them.
4) Do a deal - the kids carry the adults poles (which they enjoy) and you carry your skis and their skis.

Any way of you carrying your skis other than tips down and in front of you and front binding behind the shoulder is inefficient, painful, likely to get oil etc off your binding on to your jacket and totally lacking in slope-cred.
snow report
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

totally lacking in slope-cred.

Crikey......hadn't realised it was that bad Shocked .........must get things sorted next year.....
latest report
I (foolishly) bought a ski carrier thing. By the time you've got it out and inserted your skis into it etc, everyone else is halfway down the road and you have to run to catch them up. You look like a plonker and you end up knackered. It's not worth it. Carry them on your shoulder.
ski holidays
ski in ski out is the way forward Toofy Grin
latest report
If you don't stay ski in ski out, there are often ski lockers available near the bottom of the main lifts, either courtesy of the lift co or in a ski hire place. These have the advantage that ou can leave your ordinary boots there during the day and change into them at the end of the day (I wouldn't leave your ski boots overnight unless the place is heated).

I tried a gadget involving two plastic things which slid over the skis, one form each end, and had clips for the poles, whcih then acted as handles for you to carry the skis parllel to the ground. Waste of money. Velco straps may be handy for kids, to stop the skis from separating, but otherwise nothing is necessary.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi We have a ski carry device called ski carry handle , fits on in secounds even with gloves on (beats the rest on market)
Company only running one year had really good coments last year on ebay.
got a few left , but have changed job , now work all over world and have no time to spend on managing this .
Any offers to buy company .
Its SKICARRYHANDLE LTD , we have web domain WWW.skicarryhandle.com (site never been finished )
snow report
neilplumb, Good creative spam dredging up a 2.5 year old thread, doubt anyone is planning to make their millions buying a ski carry handle company as most people know its not that hard to carry skis but good luck anyway.
snow conditions
neilplumb, Try Dragons Den. But I'm out.
snow report
neilplumb,
Just can't invest in you. I'm out.
snow report
Quote:

creative spam dredging up a 2.5 year old thread

But still a good laugh to read Laughing
snow conditions
Megamum,

I don't imagine you're still interested in a ski carrier, but if you are, you might have a look at a (local) company here in Calgary, AB Canada. They make a 'sling' style carrier for boards and skis. I've got one and I use it in the snowpark and doing a bit of off-piste, there site is www.boardslinger.com
snow report
Colin B wrote:
At least my daughter is usually fair about these things. In return for me carrying her skis as well as my own she does carry my poles in return.

This also worked well for me on our last holiday as the ski instructor, after seeing my problems with carrying skis over my shoulder for any distance (same as eng ch), offered to carry my skis if I carried his poles snowHead
ski holidays
Iski, if you can't carry it, don't bring it!

vman, RPF, looks like no one else invested, either.
ski holidays
I strap the kids skis to my rucksack, one pair each side, then my skis over my shoulders.......
snow conditions
hyweljenkins, I can carry the skis over my shoulder but as eng_ch, wrote, it's very painful so I also tend to carry them by the bindings in front of me. That's what prompted the instructor to offer to carry them for me!
snow conditions
We made our own ski carriers using cheap suitcase straps and, on each, another plastic buckle of the same size. Just jiggle things around so you get one half of each buckle sewn into the end of the strap and the other parts sliding along it. I think we had to re-sew one of the buckles.

We never use them these days!
snow conditions
I too have pondered how best to carry skis and discovered that for £40 a snowboarders backpack which also carries skis is the perfect solution..... especially when you are not personally wearing it but the other half is !!! Laughing
Ok had to put up wth his moaning but he felt very manly afterwards ( ok we were half way down a run and I bottled it) but I was very impressed and not too tired to show my appreciation by buying him a drink Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy