Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Ski Holiday to North America - Recomendations Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm after some advice regarding a ski trip to North America, either March this year or Jan 2008. I've been to the USA many times, but primarily Florida and the odd trip to LA, so I have had the full US, "have a nice day, sincerity experience". Never been to Canada though.

My recent ski experience has been in Courchevel 1850 for the last 3 years, and very happy with it I am. But I need to get out more! wink Past places that I liked were: Obergurgl. Places that didn't cut the mustard: Soll, Sauze D'oulx.

So what's important to me? My shopping list is:-

Snow sure.
Ski-ing - Doesnt have to be vast area but would like enough so I cannot ski every slope in a day. Good intermediate standard (providing knee scan tells me I was being wuss!). Off piste not required. Groomed slopes. Ski guiding or similar. Lessons not required.
Hotel - Proximity from accomodation to slope base. Trying to avoid buses, car travel to the slopes. As close to a ski in\out as possible. Short walk at most. Good hotel food (is that possible in the USA?), I cannot stand the plastic breakfast establishments and raw steak served in Florida!
Night life - a few bars nothing to loud. I give the Tour operator resort bar crawl and shots experience a miss. (I think I'm becoming my father!)
When traveling: Having experienced ski resorts in half term week, and other families screaming or loutish brats i'd prefer a quieter time.
Cost: trying to keep the lid on it at approx £1,200 pp pw. This includes lift passes. Unrealistic?

To me the holidays isnt just about ski-ing it's a combined experience, not least of which is the accomodation.

I'm not asking a lot really am I ? wink

Any feedback, good or bad appreciated.

Many thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doesnt have to be vast area but would like enough so I cannot ski every slope in a day

Unrealistic in North America IMHO for the vast majority of resorts, especially when combined with your requirement for ski-in / out. Most resrt over there tend to be much smaller then Eusro-resorts - however they make up for that in that you;re allowed to ski anywehere in bounds as opposed to just on the pistes. About the only resort that meets the size + ski-in / out to my knowledge is whistler

You're probably better looking at going to somewhere with several resorets in close proximity, e.g. Banff / Lake Louise, Lake Tahoe for Heavenly et al, or Salt Lake City has a few resorts in close proximity. There are others to look at too
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BTW I live in the Grove, if you want to meet for beers and a chat about Whistler and whatnot let me know Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nbt wrote:
About the only resort that meets the size + ski-in / out to my knowledge is whistler

Whilst the amount of ski-in/out in Whistler has been increased over recent years, the vast majority of the accomodation requires a walk or bus-ride to get to the slopes. Compare that for instance with Big White, when even the most inconvenient accomodation only requires you to cross the road to put your skis on. Whilst no where near as big as Whistler (fortunately!) BW has plenty of skiing for a week - certainly I doubt anyone could ski every slope in a day - and also has the advantage of very few queues are far less and the snow is better! If you are worried about size, then combine it with one of the other Okanagan resorts such as Sun Peaks or Silver Star.

[/i]
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm happy to stand corrected Smile I haven;t yet been to the Okanagan but it's on thelist of plcase to visit, especially when Kelowna airport can handle intercontinental flighta
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BMF_Skier,

Breckenridge.

yes it's big with excellent grooming, lots of quiet runs, there is ski-in ski-out. The Village (condos) is right at the main lift.

There are lots of bars but they are generally quite grown up and because it's all pretty much set in blocks along along main street you don't feelt that it's busy. Loads of great restaurants, including some top notch ones - you will have to queue for a table but I've found thats the case all over North America.

You can probably do it within budget.

Don't stay at the Breckenridge Mountain Lodge unless you are happy with very basic - we stayed there on a really cheap deal so didn't mind, but I wouldn't want to pay full price for it. It is next door to the microbrewery though....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy